Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2016, 07:01 AM

16,215 posts, read 11,333,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
This is what companies dream of. Slave wages, no benefits, lousy and dangerous working conditions. Sadly the convervatards seem to be right on that bandwagon as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRockSays View Post
Get a UNION going over there. And then take your breaks!
Agriculture has always been the bottommost rung of an economy -- and always will be. Farming was, until recently, a highly-decentralized, family-dominated sector of the economy, which implies close relationships between owner and (usually-casual) employee. Unions can't affect this because, as with your local fast-food joint, employees have no particular skills, and are easy to replace. And "companies" similarly have no say; the market pays what the economy can sustain -- not much on the lower rungs.

And poultry-processing is simply one notch (slightly) further-removed on that scale.

It doesn't suprise me that the abusive practices cited have been linked mostly to subcontractors already at, or near the bottom of the heap, or that the alarm has been raised (and mostly taken up by) the folks over there in Left Field. You can rant as much as you like from the safety of your little niche. But most of the world lives in a much grittier and sweatier atmosphere.

THAT advantage is one that North Americans could enjoy in relative isolation because of our position after 1945. But the playing field is levelling -- and that's a positive, because the alternative is walls, tariffs and, eventually, conflict. A rising tide lifts all boats -- but not so much when you're already near the top.

You do have a choice -- as we all do. You can learn additional skills, behavioral as well as technical, and try to climb a bit further on a slippery private-sector ladder. Or you can stay down there with the rest of the losers -- and hope you get promoted from plucker to dismboweler down at the chicken plant.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 05-13-2016 at 07:12 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2016, 07:26 AM

35,066 posts, read 31,293,790 times
Meat packing/rendering were at one time respectable occupations. Over time, it has fallen down the ladder of prestige and is now at the bottom of the barrel.

Old 05-13-2016, 07:27 AM

3,661 posts, read 2,945,273 times
You don't have to belittle workers who do the most bottom level work as losers. Show some class to all.

Old 05-13-2016, 07:41 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,973,648 times
'Merica! Geez what happened?

Old 05-13-2016, 11:10 AM

36,531 posts, read 30,856,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue biker View Post
Nothing in the article says anything about illegals. There are other threads here about illegal immigrants in poultry processing plants but they are from 2008. It does say people are told if the go to the bathroom to keep going to Human Resources. With the I-9 identification checks and the article saying they pay $9-$10 per hour I doubt they are illegals.
It doesnt have to. Anyone that lives near these plants knows. And I-9 identification is a joke. Under the 1990 immigration act an employer can not request different documentations or refuse to honor documents reasonably appear to be genuine. Guidelines state "The standard is reasonableness. You are not expected to be a document expert." wink wink.

Old 05-13-2016, 12:02 PM

379 posts, read 255,195 times
Granted this is disgusting and inexcusable mistreatment and exploitation and I believe there should be harsh punishment for the sick freaks making such working conditions. But... it is illegals who are willingly signing up for this! Don't want to be exploited? Don't come here!

I find it hard to feel sorry for illegals who are exploited by their own volition.

Old 05-13-2016, 03:08 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,635,682 times
""""Poultry workers denied bathroom breaks, some wearing diapers on the job"""

who on earth trained poultry to work, and do they get the diapers on them?

Old 05-13-2016, 03:16 PM

8,078 posts, read 7,436,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Think your job sucks?

Denied bathroom breaks, these workers must resort to diapers - CBS News

This kind of thing is going on in America? Today? Disgusting. I hope they make an example of the managers involved. Jail time for sure.

Trump will put a stop to this by getting rid of the illegals.

Old 05-13-2016, 03:19 PM

3,702 posts, read 4,850,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRockSays View Post
Get a UNION going over there. And then take your breaks!
The company my wife worked at is union! All that seemed to accomplish was making it hard to fire any one so since everybody received the same pay (based on time there up to a maximum) so most were lazy and didn't put in any effort. Example would be most of the line moving slowly that it would always back up and a couple would have to work twice as hard to keep it moving. Pay was negotiated by the union and had a maximum so those who put in the extra effort at least had a chance to move up. But in reality was that was next to impossible as the boss would always hire another illegal from his own country instead of someone else, and those third world **** holes don't have the same workers rights as we do here so they tried to "rule" like their power hungry bosses would back home. I told my wife to just tell them to go *** themselves and threaten to call immigration. That shut them up. Worked every time. My wife's only "perk" for putting in extra effort was that she had no problem taking off a 1 to 2 month period during the busy time to go visit her parents in Colombia during Cristmas. Her direct bosses would always shut her down but she would then go to the top (legal immigrants like her or , GASP! Americans)

Again, a ****hole to work for. I'm sure the other major brands nearby are no different either!

Old 05-13-2016, 03:21 PM

8,078 posts, read 7,436,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue biker View Post
Nothing in the article says anything about illegals.

Journalism 101. They want sympathy for the workers. If they said "Oh by the way, they're illegals" then they would lose sympathy, so they omit that fact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment