Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 10:00 AM

884 posts, read 2,642,215 times

Advertisements

If you work too long and don't report it, the IRS might catch on that you had a W-2 from a job and unemployment benfits. Don't worry about unemployment catching on - heads up their arsses.

Once you fill out that I-9 form the IRS/Unemployment people know you are working. They WILL come back after you for that money that they sent you. *I* made this silly mistake back in my stupid 20's -days.

If you have only been there 3 weeks then leave and go back to temping. No one will know you had this job unless you put it on a resume. Just keep temping until you find the "right" job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2008, 08:40 PM

1,667 posts, read 9,381,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbluelandrover View Post
... No one will know you had this job unless you put it on a resume.
This was my first thought. A 3-week gap won't be noticed if your resume is all temp jobs. Although, the IRS ain't stupid. Keep it legal. If you try to reinstate your unemployment, you will have a police record to add to your problems. Your employer already filed for workman's compensation for you prior to hiring you, plus all your pay in Fed and State taxes withheld. Nobody's invisible. Your SSN is in computer files, and red flags go up everywhere when you file a false claim.

Old 02-22-2008, 08:27 AM

1,181 posts, read 3,807,429 times
Quote:
If you work too long and don't report it, the IRS might catch on that you had a W-2 from a job and unemployment benfits. Don't worry about unemployment catching on - heads up their arsses.

Once you fill out that I-9 form the IRS/Unemployment people know you are working. They WILL come back after you for that money that they sent you. *I* made this silly mistake back in my stupid 20's -days.

If you have only been there 3 weeks then leave and go back to temping. No one will know you had this job unless you put it on a resume. Just keep temping until you find the "right" job.
My thoughts exactly. I started a job a couple of years ago that right off I knew I was not going to like, and I've always loved my jobs. I stayed 6 months. It was awful. I'll never do that again. Go back to temp work, and leav this 3 week blip off your resume. IMHO.

Old 02-22-2008, 05:34 PM
b75

950 posts, read 3,463,407 times
Jumping to lots of different jobs is not good if they are all permanent. IMO it is very plausible that a job could be miserable; some people just sit there & wallow in the misery & never look elsewhere and others don't tolerate that. However, if you keep finding jobs that you are miserable in & can't tolerate long enough to get another job then you are either not evaluating the positions that well during the interview phase or you could have an issue with your own perspective. Understand my POV is different then ones I have seen expressed on this thread as I feel that there are some workplaces that are toxic & if you can leave it is better for your health to get out. But you should also be careful to identify the warning signs of this type of toxicity so that you can recognize it prior to getting yourself involved in another situation.

Old 02-22-2008, 09:32 PM

884 posts, read 2,642,215 times
identify the warning signs of this type of toxicity

***Do you have any pointers or questions that are good at determining the work environment? I've had jobs I enjoyed and more that I did not like and even when I post my resume online I keep getting those junk email replies. --I think using a search firm helps but share if you can.

Old 02-23-2008, 10:08 AM
b75

950 posts, read 3,463,407 times
While I haven't compiled a list, I'm sure there are books out there that address these things. I was referring more towards the interview and being able to observe certain things wrspct morale, employee body language, similar style of interviewing/outlining the job, what seems to speak to them etc. may tell you about the type of culture they have there. Generally, you should try to have a feel for the culture prior to accepting the position. While there are no guarantees, it is part of getting to know the position & determining if it is a match. And hopefully by having been in a toxic environment before, you will be able to recognize some of the warning signs that passed you by at the interview.

Quote:
identify the warning signs of this type of toxicity

***Do you have any pointers or questions that are good at determining the work environment? I've had jobs I enjoyed and more that I did not like and even when I post my resume online I keep getting those junk email replies. --I think using a search firm helps but share if you can.

Old 02-23-2008, 10:20 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,233,542 times
I have been on interviews in places where nobody smiles, ever. These places scare me and I have declined every offer I have gotten from one of those places.

In an interview a few weeks ago I asked the interviewer how many of the employees needed to be medicated to be able to come to work. This person hung her head and admitted that they are up to 5 employees who require mood altering medication to tolerate their work environment, and the position I was interviewing for was to replace someone who left due to similar health concerns. I thanked her for her time, shook her hand, and left.

I always ask about the work environment. I ask how much politics goes on, if people ask questions or demand answers, etc. If the hiring manager has fingernails chewed down to the bleeding nub it is typically a bad sign.

Remember, they always ask if you have any questions. That is your opportunity.

Old 02-23-2008, 10:26 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,435,377 times
I'm thinking that if you quit your job and tried to go back to the unemployement, they would not allow you to. They will call your current employer and find out you quit.

Old 02-23-2008, 04:15 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,897,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
I'm thinking that if you quit your job and tried to go back to the unemployement, they would not allow you to. They will call your current employer and find out you quit.
Absolute right Lindsey! That is part of the process.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment