Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 01:41 PM

917 posts, read 2,004,070 times

Advertisements

We all know it's not wise to discuss salaries with coworkers. I've never asked or initiated the convo but both my coworkers let it be known that they make more than I do. Let's say about 7 to 8K more. And yeah I'm feeling a way about it. I found out months ago but I always think about it. We all have the same title btw.

Have any of you ever approached a supervisor about salary difference within the company?

One of my coworkers comes in 1 to 2 hours late on the regular too. Now I know life's not fair but hey I'm human I think it's natural to feel a way about this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2016, 01:51 PM

165 posts, read 174,543 times
I would request a raise citing my own merits, but I would not mention the discrepancy. I have worked for companies where discussing pay rates is grounds for dismissal, Whether it is or not at your company it's a very weak argument for a raise.

Old 05-16-2016, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTYankinME View Post
I would request a raise citing my own merits, but I would not mention the discrepancy. I have worked for companies where discussing pay rates is grounds for dismissal, Whether it is or not at your company it's a very weak argument for a raise.
Good point. I need to be looking elsewhere anyway. I just feel angry and starting to resent my coworkers. I guess I just need to let it go.

Old 05-16-2016, 02:25 PM

1,784 posts, read 2,380,420 times
OP, do you know if there's a reason the coworkers earn more? Do all three of you do the same job? Have they been with the employer longer? Do they have more experience than you?

Old 05-16-2016, 02:30 PM

912 posts, read 1,523,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTYankinME View Post
This is the best advice. There are usually lots of good reasons to ask for a raise, but because Bob makes more than you isn't one of them.

Old 05-16-2016, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspe4 View Post
OP, do you know if there's a reason the coworkers earn more? Do all three of you do the same job? Have they been with the employer longer? Do they have more experience than you?
Yes we all do the same job. I've been with the company longer but I think they've been doing this particular type of work longer than I have. At least one of them has.

I'm not going to ask. I just have to push it out of my mind.

Old 05-16-2016, 02:39 PM

13,285 posts, read 8,435,896 times
Pay is discussed at time of hire. Between employer and prospective employee.

Once negotiated, all bets are off for any increase or potential scale down sizing. The employer is obligated to pay hours worked or salary agreed upon. Most contracted employ would carry the terms within the agreement for any changes or pay scales.

The only time I have witnessed in pay scales is when it was a family member being hired on the books and not once providing a specific service. They were called "advisor", but I think the owner used the Advising to keep him out of the business None of us could say anything because it was privately owned. Most family owned business's are notorious for nepotism.

Pay increase is not a mandate, its at the business's discretion.

Old 05-16-2016, 02:48 PM

35,045 posts, read 31,233,730 times
I was in the same situation at my previous employer. There were four of us in the role at my site - all of us had similar education and backgrounds (BS/BA - multiple years of experience in IT support) and had the same role.

I ended up getting $10,000 less, because I was moving there from a low wage job in another market, and the other three were local. There were many more issues than pay, but it was a reason I left, at least on principle.

Old 05-16-2016, 04:39 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,382,937 times
i got people working ten years under me making 5000 more than me, so it best you just dont know. I mean the pay hurts but so does being unemployed, if the company ok, you dont want to be top dog.

its basically who you suck up to and how many times you go in begging for money, I think one guy pimps his wife out to the upper. I really do.

its all who has a deep sea boat, house at the beach, hunting camp, and of course play golf and football season tickets

Old 05-16-2016, 04:41 PM

7,694 posts, read 5,441,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hershey48 View Post
We all know it's not wise to discuss salaries with coworkers. I've never asked or initiated the convo but both my coworkers let it be known that they make more than I do. Let's say about 7 to 8K more..
A year? A month? Which?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment