Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2016, 12:39 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,784,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Filling out an application is part of the hiring process.

Except for someone who works in a gym, sweatpants are not appropriate attire for most jobs. Even the physical therapists I know, who are doing physical activity all day long, don't wear sweatpants.

Showing up "just" to fill out an application in sweatpants is a bad decision because it shows that that person does not understand/does not care how their appearance reflects on the company. I don't want to hire someone who makes bad decisions.
Plus, I have had many interviews right after filling out the form, I learned long ago, if you are going to apply, go looking like you're ready to interview"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2016, 01:10 PM

4,062 posts, read 5,644,222 times
Yep, it is SO true, especially for women! I've known attractive women who, even though they quit or were let go from jobs so many times, always can get hired yet again. Of course, personality helps also, the ability to act like a winner does a lot for them!

Old 05-23-2016, 01:24 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,809,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee W. View Post
Of course, personality helps also, the ability to act like a winner does a lot for them!
They must subscribe to that laws of attraction thing everyone talks about. I've considered that but I've never been good at hypnotizing myself. I'd imagine you'd also have to not be a skeptic for it to work on you.

Old 05-23-2016, 01:59 PM

2,565 posts, read 1,642,026 times
Totally depends on the position. Because front desk personnel are "the face of the company", employers would likely prefer to hire either attractive or, at least, very well groomed people. And for those positions, plain but well groomed probably trumps slovenly beauty.

I worked in IT for several different companies, and we had a motley crew as far as looks. Everything from gorgeous male and female employees to somewhat plain, and no specific dress code, just wear what is comfortable and not offensive or revealing. Because phone manner and people skills were much more important.

However, whenever prospective customers toured the facility, we were all expected to dress nicely and those of us who "cleaned up well" were saddled with having prospective clients sit next to us and listen in on our phone calls, to present the best impression possible.

Old 05-23-2016, 02:00 PM

6,459 posts, read 7,793,546 times
Because people prefer looking at things that are pleasing.

But I don't think that'll trump qualifications in a professional career where a person needs to know their stuff.

Old 05-23-2016, 02:08 PM

1,838 posts, read 2,021,252 times
I've sen a preference for well groomed and dressed staff. Attractiveness, in my experience, has not been necessary.

Old 05-23-2016, 03:17 PM

3,118 posts, read 5,355,544 times
Human evolution. People subconsciously favor those who are more attractive. People who are attractive also are naturally better a getting their way so that's why attractiveness is even a greater advantage in sales jobs.

Old 05-23-2016, 05:52 PM

35 posts, read 33,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
This is an asinine way to determine someone is a worthy candidate unless it is some status symbol job that wants you to drive say a Lexus, Cadillac, Lincoln, Benz, etc. Even with that it is silly.
If you read enough real estate forums, many landlords actually claim this is a good way to pick tenets too. People that take care of their cars and keep them clean inside and out are more likely to keep the property clean inside and out.

I can see their being a parallel between how you treat you car and other areas of your life. How applicable those areas are to your ability to perform a job could be up for debate.

Old 05-23-2016, 07:22 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,213,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
I think it is because employers place to much emphasis on customer service.

At least in my field,Nursing,that is the way it is.

Also,men and women seem to place equal importance on looks.

Just wanted to get that out of the way,because it is always assumed men did that,but the women these days are just as bad as men in assuming an employee looks attractive.

I have had more women demean my weight more than men,but that could be because nursing is primarily made up of women.

I have heard many women say the same,,,women seem to judge other women quite harshly...

with more and more women as hiring managers ...this should be less of an issue..

one company I worked for,,,the hiring manager wouldn't hire any women better looking than she was....

some men purposely avoid hiring attractive women,,,....so he wont be tempted...and if he has a jealous wife...

Old 05-23-2016, 09:09 PM

1,188 posts, read 958,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee W. View Post
Yep, it is SO true, especially for women! I've known attractive women who, even though they quit or were let go from jobs so many times, always can get hired yet again. Of course, personality helps also, the ability to act like a winner does a lot for them!
Well it's easier to be perceived as a "winner" when you're good looking
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment