Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2016, 01:46 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,668,342 times

Advertisements

It sounds like you are looking for a better career, so looking for the best career options in your field should be the top priority. I think you'll be able to find good outdoor activities in any of the three cities, but if this company is already outsourcing once, it will probably do so again soon after you move. Nashville is a bit smaller than the other two, so it may have fewer career options and then you'll just be back out trying to move again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2016, 02:00 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,628,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
It sounds like you are looking for a better career, so looking for the best career options in your field should be the top priority. I think you'll be able to find good outdoor activities in any of the three cities, but if this company is already outsourcing once, it will probably do so again soon after you move. Nashville is a bit smaller than the other two, so it may have fewer career options and then you'll just be back out trying to move again.
Exactly, outdoor activities shouldn't be a priority. What city is going to have the most opportuninty if I get downsized again should. I know someone who did this, got laid off in one state so they relocated to another state(that they didn't like) and less than a year later was downsized again by the same company. Don't want to find yourself jobless again, in a place where you have no family or long time friends, and add in limited opportunities

OP needs to look at family, friends, is she is in a relationship where she currently is and not just take a transfer. A job loss is like a death, it's not good to always make a big change too soon based on emotion.

Old 05-22-2016, 02:55 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,271,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Exactly, outdoor activities shouldn't be a priority. What city is going to have the most opportuninty if I get downsized again should. I know someone who did this, got laid off in one state so they relocated to another state(that they didn't like) and less than a year later was downsized again by the same company. Don't want to find yourself jobless again, in a place where you have no family or long time friends, and add in limited opportunities

OP needs to look at family, friends, is she is in a relationship where she currently is and not just take a transfer. A job loss is like a death, it's not good to always make a big change too soon based on emotion.
I disagree with the lifestyle comment. Unless your back is absolutely to the wall financially, go where you'd be the happiest personally then fit your lifestyle to the salary. I don't make great money, but am basically stuck in Indianapolis because it's cheap and I'm working on paying off a car. I'd rather live cheap in a place I like better than have more toys in a place I don't care for.

Old 05-22-2016, 03:00 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,740,081 times
Where would your job be located within Nashville? (general area)

Old 05-22-2016, 03:18 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,861,584 times
I think Atlanta, as a bigger metro has more types of jobs available than the other 2. In my field Atlanta would be the only choice on that list. The rest would only have 1-3 jobs.

Old 05-22-2016, 03:25 PM

2,365 posts, read 2,147,181 times
I think I would go for Dallas. There is a good range of industry to apply skills to, and you can always go down to the gulf cities - Galveston and Corpus Christi - or even Mexico for weekend vacations.

Atlanta is growing steadily, but a lot of people know that. It is situated nicely for access to the Atlantic and Gulf shores, as well as mountains.

I had a bad experience in Nashville, finding myself needing gas on what a local cab driver called, "the wrong side of town." That was a while ago, and maybe things have changed there, but I haven't seen much about opportunity growing in Nashville, just in case the axe should fall on your department again.

Tennessee and Georgia are both beautiful states if you are into hiking and camping on the weekends. All three cities have closely located lake-based recreation available. All three cities will be hot in the Summer, but I would guess Nashville and Atlanta will have the highest humidity accompanying that heat. I would also guess Dallas would see the mildest Winters.

Best wishes to you no matter which city you choose. I admire your ability to strike out into the world, and seek a new life in a place you've never lived before.

Old 05-22-2016, 03:26 PM

450 posts, read 1,202,970 times
I am not sure what part of town the job is in Nashville I think close to Franklin? I am looking to go back to school to get certifications in IT however I am not sure what exactly what to do in IT. I was looking at Security and Web Development.

Old 05-22-2016, 03:30 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,628,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I disagree with the lifestyle comment. Unless your back is absolutely to the wall financially, go where you'd be the happiest personally then fit your lifestyle to the salary. I don't make great money, but am basically stuck in Indianapolis because it's cheap and I'm working on paying off a car. I'd rather live cheap in a place I like better than have more toys in a place I don't care for.
I'm all for being happy where you live, it is important.

My point was the OP is looking to relocate somewhere with a company that already has downsized them. They need to be very careful in choosing a new location. Personally I wouldn't trust them, as I already said I knew someone who transferred to another state(that they didn't like) only to be laid off by the same company less than a year later. Like the OP they took the transfer to keep their job. Rather than stay put and look for work locally.

Some people panic(which is understandable) and make a move they shouldn't.

The OP needs to focus on "what city has the most opporunties in my field in the event I transfer only to find I am on the chopping block", again.

That outweighs outdoor activities for this particular situation.

Old 05-22-2016, 03:31 PM

2,365 posts, read 2,147,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I think Atlanta, as a bigger metro has more types of jobs available than the other 2. In my field Atlanta would be the only choice on that list. The rest would only have 1-3 jobs.
You kind of make a good point Jade. It would probably be a good idea for the OP to read up on industry in all three cities, as well as do some job searches to see what other opportunities all three cities offer that she would qualify for. Quality of life is secondary to availability of opportunity.

Old 05-22-2016, 03:59 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,617,165 times
Will add one more comment.

I have lived in all three cities as a single man in his 30's.

All 3 cities have a completely different vibe.

As far as tech goes, all 3 cities have plenty of job opportunities.

Nashville has the best opportunities in the area of healthcare IT. Atlanta and Dallas are hotbeds in other areas.

If you are qualified and are continually developing your skills you will not have a hard time finding work in any of the cities.

I spent 6 horrible months in Dallas. Made the mistake of moving there without visiting. Was desperate to leave a job and the company in Dallas was my first offer so I took it. Huge mistake. The job was easy, but hated every minute living in the city. Learned a hard lesson. Where you live plays a big factor in happiness.

Go with the location that you enjoy the most. There is no worse feeling than living in a place that you absolutely hate.

I personally think you can't go wrong with the choices that you have.

Do not make a decision until you have had a chance to visit Nashville. I would schedule a weekend trip. Checkout both downtown nashville as well as Franklin. Franklin is a great area.

I made the move to my dream city (Chicago) a few months back. Scheduled 5 different weekend trips to the city before making a move. Decided that this was the place I wanted to be. Could not have made a better choice. Once I made the move I ended up finding a much better job. It all worked out.

The key is to do what makes you happy.

Last edited by usamathman; 05-22-2016 at 05:07 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment