Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2016, 04:25 PM

599 posts, read 693,176 times

Advertisements

I have a mandatory business to attend but have no accommodations for my child. My resources are limited, no options. I need advice or suggestions, as far as what to tell my employer. Plus I will have to take her out of school for two days. She is 7, I tried calling local daycares but she is too old for all day
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2016, 05:14 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,318,882 times
You can go through a nanny registry and hire someone for two days. If the meeting is out of town, talk to the concierge at the hotel you'll be staying at in advance. they should have the information that you need.

Old 05-22-2016, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
You can go through a nanny registry and hire someone for two days. If the meeting is out of town, talk to the concierge at the hotel you'll be staying at in advance. they should have the information that you need.
I have already spoken to the hotel staff, they had nothing to offer

Old 05-22-2016, 05:35 PM

414 posts, read 400,280 times
You did not say how much time you have to plan. If it were me I would fly in a trusted relative that the child already knows, or not take the trip. Risk your child or risk your job. At the end of the day, jobs are not as important. If you are a valued employee, which you likely
are, this is an opportunity for the corp to become family friendly. Offer to Skype (or other tech) the meetings. My opinion.

Old 05-22-2016, 05:43 PM

2,365 posts, read 2,148,041 times
Is it a cheap hotel?? I find it hard to believe they have never been asked for assistance with babysitting before. Maybe try calling and asking again, at a different time of day. As with any inquiry, some employees are better than others.

Search the internet for daycare and sitters in the area you are traveling to. It seems ridiculous to me that there is nothing that can be done to accommodate your child for a couple of days.

If not, not even a neighbor or school friend of the kid?

If the meeting is mandatory, I agree your child comes first, but your child will not benefit if you can be fired for not attending. Didn't we just have a family care act passed? Maybe you can throw yourself on your bosses mercy?

Old 05-22-2016, 05:58 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,562,477 times
Share your situation with other mothers in your child's class. Perhaps she can stay with a classmate or they may know a reliable caregiver.

Old 05-22-2016, 06:09 PM

I have no family or friends to take with me. I could try a nanny for 2 days but it will be too pricey. I'm surprised too this nice hotel has no accommodations for child care. I've been searching the internet for daycares even called some, they had nothing to offer because she is older. And her school friends can't watch her for 2 days straight. Yes this business trip is mandatory. This is so frustrating.

Old 05-22-2016, 06:11 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,842,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by back2MD View Post
I have no family or friends to take with me. I could try a nanny for 2 days but it will be too pricey. I'm surprised too this nice hotel has no accommodations for child care. I've been searching the internet for daycares even called some, they had nothing to offer because she is older. And her school friends can't watch her for 2 days straight. Yes this business trip is mandatory. This is so frustrating.
Some nannies would charge you daily in that case. If its just making sure shes up, taking to school, then picking her up and being with her 3pm-bed..it shouldnt be that expensive. A 7yr old is cheaper than a 7mo old all day!

an alternative is: Take her with you and give her something to do in the room youll be in. A tablet, etc. Then reward her for being good.

Old 05-22-2016, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohky0815 View Post
Some nannies would charge you daily in that case. If its just making sure shes up, taking to school, then picking her up and being with her 3pm-bed..it shouldnt be that expensive. A 7yr old is cheaper than a 7mo old all day!

an alternative is: Take her with you and give her something to do in the room youll be in. A tablet, etc. Then reward her for being good.
I will not be leaving my child in s hotel room all day long alone for no job, I'm not taking that risk
I will look into the nanny option.

Old 05-22-2016, 06:25 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,842,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by back2MD View Post
I will not be leaving my child in s hotel room all day long alone for no job, I'm not taking that risk
I will look into the nanny option.
I meant room as in the office youll be in.

Just look on care.com or local mom group and explain but ask for a daily rate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment