Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2016, 08:57 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,667,017 times

Advertisements

OP good luck..... you're still deflecting and it has become apparent that you aren't looking for guidance from anyone here. I wish you well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2016, 08:57 AM

83 posts, read 64,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
If you REALLY want to know what it means for you to be flexible, have kids. We have two. We are still required to be on time, get all our work done, stay late, come in early, or whatever else it takes WHILE taking care of our kids. We are constantly juggling who gets the kids today, calling family or friends to pick them up if we can't make it, having to work from home because one is sick, etc.... Our deadlines don't change.
I'll agree to disagree with you. Because this isn't going anywhere. Thank you for your contribution.

Old 05-26-2016, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
OP good luck..... you're still deflecting and it has become apparent that you aren't looking for guidance from anyone here. I wish you well.
You are entitled to your opinion. Take care!

Old 05-26-2016, 09:13 AM

289 posts, read 504,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BecauseISaidSo View Post
Time to move on and find a job where I'm judged as a whole and not based on 1 thing.
Glad you're letting it go. I've been on this forum for a while, and there's an age old argument on here about how much give and take is required of both employees and employers, and what you've been seeing on this thread is those people on each side of the argument jawing at each other and you. None of that matters because at this point you realize your situation isn't going to end well either way and you're cutting your losses.

Old 05-26-2016, 09:20 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,975,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerD View Post
BecauseISaidSo, I would stop responding to posters who don't get your situation. I get it and a few others on the thread get it. I absolutely believe you and I also believe that they were trying to have your work off the clock. Maybe some posters on this thread have had good experiences with employers who have asked this of their workers but I am certain that you will plenty more people who have had negative experiences. To tell you the truth, I think people on this thread are negative and just want to trash you. Please ignore them. Wage theft is huge and this is how it's committed. I bet they didn't send you any e-mails asking you to attend optional meetings; now they are trying to fire you? The Department of Labor would definitely find that fishy.
But we'll never know for sure, will we. Because the OP never actually worked those "off the clock" hours.

I wonder if she was docked the 30 minutes she was late? And the many minutes she's spending posting to CD? Labor theft is huge, and this is how it's committed.

Old 05-26-2016, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerD View Post
Which is how it should be. They should pay for the hours they ask you to work but a lot of companies are having employees work off the clock and call it volunteer work. That's illegal.
Really. Do you have proof of this?

Old 05-26-2016, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melodica View Post
After reading some of the OPs previous posts, I have to wonder WHY she couldn't go in early. Dropping her husband off at work shouldn't affect that. Just drop him off a little early. He can't hang around for a bit before his shift?
Don't you know they have a LIFE?!?!

When we first moved to a new area, we only had one car. My husband works 3am - 3pm, and I work 8:30 - 5:00. I drove him to work every morning at 3:00, then he hung around work until I picked him up at 5:30. OP's choice to carpool and work.

Old 05-26-2016, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BecauseISaidSo View Post
I was looking for advice and some guidance. I got REAL sore after I saw the job had been posted. That happened after I posted this. Use an employer? What are you talking about? Thats a year, 2 or 3 away. And if you didn't find anything wrong with it - you wouldn't have brought it up. Many people move on from a job like this after a few years. Me deciding to have a child has ZERO to do with whats going on now. Guess what people that have kids get all kinds of flexibility and leniency that those of us don't get. If I had a child I had to bring to school or pick up from daycare and that was my reason I bet none of this would have happened.

Its not fair that somehow I'm now hearing about ALL of this flexibility she needs. In my opinion I should have been given at least a few months to prove myself. This one week I couldn't be flexible and thats how I was being judged. Its done now. Time to move on and find a job where I'm judged as a whole and not based on 1 thing.
^^^ Why women make 75 cents for every dollar a man makes.

Old 05-26-2016, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
^^^ Why women make 75 cents for every dollar a man makes.
Thank goodness for the ignore feature. Lol

Old 05-26-2016, 09:59 AM

5,401 posts, read 6,531,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
It would seem so. She made 41 posts here between 9:30 AM and 4:28 PM on Wednesday. The total may actually be higher for posts during the work day due to time zone shifting of the records here. It seems she is also annoyed at her boss finding her missing from her desk so often as she has mentioned bathroom breaks a number of times. How many bathroom breaks does she take, and for how long?
Yes. It appeared that way to me also.

This is a big problem for some of our clients.

Most employers expect employees to check their phone on their own time over lunch break, period.
Company computer usage is only to be for company business...not checking Facebook, ordering personal online, checking personal email. And email at work is not to be used to receive personal missives.

It is amazing how much time is stolen in this manner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment