U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do employers like better?
Local external candidate 4 36.36%
Non-local internal candidate 7 63.64%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2016, 01:42 AM

4,552 posts, read 3,642,493 times

Advertisements

The title is pretty straight forward. Do they prefer someone who already works for the company and is open to relocation, or someone who already lives in the location but doesn't work for the company yet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2016, 05:30 AM

4,348 posts, read 7,990,870 times
oops. I misread the title. I thought it was just straight local vs. non-local.

I'd say that you can't really determine this without looking at other factors. There is no clear cut rule. Some companies have very good internal recruitment processes. Nevertheless, they would only do it if it makes sense. You're more likely to relocate for harder to fill roles. But again, you're doing that because local candidates may be hard to find.

Old 05-24-2016, 07:07 AM

8,967 posts, read 8,406,922 times
As an employer, I have to respond with neither option being my preference. I will choose the most qualified rmployee. I also look for personality, experience, attitude, etc.

Where they live and whether or not they are internal is of little consequence to me. I have hired externally, promoted internally, hired locally, and hired from across the country.

I guess that I would say that the two poll options presented are the least significant reasons to hire anybody in my opinion.

Old 05-24-2016, 07:46 AM

5,340 posts, read 5,303,414 times
There are many factors and dependencies but most things equal, I would definitely say someone that works for the company. It's a lower risk since that person has an internal record and internal reference sources. They will also be familiar with the overall culture, systems, etc.

Best of luck

Old 05-24-2016, 08:29 PM

4,552 posts, read 3,642,493 times
Ok yes factors can vary... Let's just assume that for the most part other variables are equal. I recently got hired at a large national company with a few field offices, and I want to move out of state when I graduate. I just want to know if that puts me in a better position than a local, external candidate.

Old 05-24-2016, 08:46 PM

8,967 posts, read 8,406,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by :-D View Post
Ok yes factors can vary... Let's just assume that for the most part other variables are equal. I recently got hired at a large national company with a few field offices, and I want to move out of state when I graduate. I just want to know if that puts me in a better position than a local, external candidate.
Your question still cannot be answered.

Some companies have a corporate policy of promoting and transferring from within. Others prefer external. Each hiring manager will have personal biases, which vary wildly from person to person. Budget impact will have an influence if the company pays to move. If your current manager doesn't want to approve a transfer, then that might trump any other factors.

There are a hundred factors that influence a hiring decision, and you are focusing on the least significant.

Old 05-24-2016, 09:29 PM
Itz

714 posts, read 1,925,486 times
If you are already employed with a large national company than your chances of being hired as a non-local candidate at a field office increases. It just depends on the type of job, what that office is looking for, etc...

Pick a few locations and start to get to know the people there so you have an inside edge! . That is what I did to move out of state with a large national company.

Many other factors can be put into play... does the field office have a local candidate or a local reference they deal with on an all time basis? That could mean they would hire that person over an internal candidate.

Recently the company I work for changed to look at internal candidates FIRST for open positions. See what your company has set for internal vs external.

Old 05-24-2016, 09:32 PM

435 posts, read 333,431 times
All depends on the employer, company, and profession. There really is no universal correct answer to your question.

Old 05-24-2016, 10:45 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,358,097 times
All things being equal, I'll take the person with a track record verifiable from someone I can trust (a manager in another location giving a good reference). Anyone can put on a good show in an interview, but knowing someone can walk the walk is priceless, IMO.

I just relocated an international candidate internal to the company. He was qualified of course, but it was his track record and performance that sealed the deal.

On the flip side, I've also turned down internal candidates based on what their current managers had to say about them!

Old 05-25-2016, 12:04 AM

13,092 posts, read 13,689,872 times
in my company we definitely favor people within the company across the board. many jobs are only posted for internal candidates, and only if there isn't a good internal candidate will they then open the job for external candidates.

internal candidates already know the customer, already know the software, already know the policies and procedures, and already have experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or