Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2016, 09:30 PM

4 posts, read 2,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Get out now. If they want to get ugly, as long as you have your offer letters, you can get them for constructive dismissal, and keep everything.
I have both offer letters on record, here's the thing the first offer specifically states salaried, while the second letter made no mention of it. Additionally, both letters have small print which say "this letter can be superseded by any future offer letter". So they were really smart about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZER PROPHET View Post
I think either you were intentionally lied to or the company is screwed up.

My $0.02 is to go.

On your exit interview tell them that you were grossly misled and lied to and it is unacceptable.
I think the company screwed up. Additionally, I was the manager's first hire ever and while he thinks he's an incredibly manager and extremely experienced he is not that good. That may be part of why their was only one interview and I was misled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Lesson learned, even during the interview session where wage and duties are discussed, the job offer should be in writing.

I worked in business's that prior to any of the employment paperwork was filed, The Job description, title, list of duties, Policy hand book ,salary and benefits were written and signed by each person. Funniest thing happened when I got my print out- I didn't sign it. They had transposed my wage and I had to encourage them to have it fixed before I signed any employment docs. I'm a stickler for contracts and how things are worded. I could have gone for more benefits at the get go, yet I found that with tenure in the position, certain things flowed into being added at each review session.

If you have the skills and not the passion in this particular place, move on. Trust that you are worth your time. I find them being shady at best....It rarely bodes well to continue when you are compromising your integrity.
Everything was in writing in the first offer letter except for specific duties. In the second letter which superseded the first, salaried was specifically missing and I paid no attention to it. That was my mistake, I should have known at that point but they didn't verbally tell me until I contact HR on week 2 about being hourly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
Personally, if the work itself isn't incredibly awful I would stick it out. Sounds like the position and company are not something that you are looking for or satisfied with but since you got a bonus and are already over 3 months in then I would stay. The other plus is that it doesn't look like a job hop that way. I agree you could explain away the "job hop" but that is only if you're given the chance which typically you can't do when submitting just a resume.
I love the company it's a specific company that I've aspired to work for my entire career however the position seems to have me worried now after all that I mentioned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
Just out of sheer curiosity.... you're being paid $10k more for the same easy work that you did years ago? I'd be thrilled. It's kind of odd to think of something as being below your skillset.... it sounds like some remedial tasks may be part of the job regardless of what company you work for. If they're important to the overall job just do them. Eventually you may be needed for something that is more to your current skillset.

I've spent most of today and yesterday cleaning up data that someone else should be doing. I've got a little slack time this week so I'm filling in my slack with that work. Once I get busy next week, that goes back to whomever it belongs to.

Every morning I spend over an hour running the same reports to send to the same people. These people could run the reports, but it is an overall function of my position despite basically being data entry. When I was promoted to a level III the level I folks ran these until we all got too busy and we began running our own again.

I've seen folks get moved from salaried to hourly before. Look at that as a positive. Now if you get stuck working longer hours you get paid for it. Us salaried folks do that extra work for free.
Correct, I am getting paid 10k more for the type of work I did much earlier in my career. Here's the thing it's very repetitive work which is very dumb, i.e. the type of work a monkey could do. Also the position is very data driven meaning I have to perform a quota of a certain number of tasks every hour to ensure I hit an overall goal each week or they'll call me out. It's very entry level to say to the least, I'm at the point in my career where I'm midlevel if not manager level and I made this clear to the company during the interview and they assured me that I'd be valued and given career advancement in the position.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2016, 06:28 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,659,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaussmanF View Post

Correct, I am getting paid 10k more for the type of work I did much earlier in my career. Here's the thing it's very repetitive work which is very dumb, i.e. the type of work a monkey could do. Also the position is very data driven meaning I have to perform a quota of a certain number of tasks every hour to ensure I hit an overall goal each week or they'll call me out. It's very entry level to say to the least, I'm at the point in my career where I'm midlevel if not manager level and I made this clear to the company during the interview and they assured me that I'd be valued and given career advancement in the position.

Dumb to you.... but obviously a necessary requirement for the company. You've barely gotten your feet wet there. The company may want to feel you out and make sure that you can handle what you've claimed you can before giving you more responsibility. Be thankful for that. I was bored out of my mind during my first year with my current company. I literally came from a management role into a role that I could do with my eyes closed. Fast forward two years, and I am covered up from the time I get in to work until I go home. Midlevel and management level are two different beasts. They might decide after a year or two that you could be management level for them. But that's their decision to make and will be based off your merit and performance. You just have to stick it out and prove yourself. Nothing will be handed out without it. That's an unbiased opinion.

Old 05-26-2016, 12:26 PM

38 posts, read 31,018 times
Quote:
Hi Everyone,

I could use some unbiased opinions on a job I'm currently at. I started at a new company/position 3 months ago and while this company is a fantastic name to have on my resume in my specific field, there's been multiple red flags since starting my position. It's at the point where my wife thinks I have been duped and taken advantage of in my new position and she also keeps telling me that I should probably find a new job sooner then later.
I agree there from what you have below

Quote:
When I was hired for the position unlike most others interviews in my 20 year career I was only interviewed once and then offered the position, this wasn't so much a red flag to me, I was pleasantly surprised. Fast forward to the main things that happened; I found out on my 2nd week on the job that while my initial 2 offer letters had stated that I was to be a salaried employee (I like have been most my career), that instead they made me hourly and essentially cut my vacation in half due to this, red flag# 1. I pretty much sucked this up because I figured overtime pay would make up for this; however, only 30 minutes of overtime has been offered to me in 3 months.
Bad move, you should have said "Whoa, that's NOT what I agreed to! No! No! NO!"

Quote:
Next, on the second week of the job I was, randomly, told that on week 4 and onward my schedule would change from Monday-Friday to Tuesday-Saturday, this was not mentioned to me during my interview or offer letters, also the listing for the position initially mentioned Monday-Friday and my manager never even asked if this weekend schedule would be ok for me to do. This was a huge red flag for me as my wife works Monday-Friday and can not change her schedule so due to this unexpected newly permanent schedule I can really only see my wife one full day a week, Sunday.
Bummer, but you didn't fight the first red flag, you gave in and laid back and took it...

Quote:
The final red flag is that during my interview I expressed my management experience and want for more ownership on projects vs my prior position and was promised that in this position I'd get that. Turns out after 3 months on the job I'm performing tasks that I did 10 years prior in much lower positions and I have absolutely no ownership over anything, in fact I see no career advancement offered from this position unless I transfer to another position internally in 2-3 years and have been told this exact statement recently by my manager. Something also to mention here is that I accepted a bonus when taking this position and will have to pay the reminder back if I leave under a year, which to me is not a big deal.
Pay it back, middle finger salute as you leave the place....

Quote:
So my question to you fine folks is do you think I honestly got swindled here and if so should I just stick it out for 1-2 years to keep the position on my resume with the company name or should I start looking elsewhere a.s.a.p like my wife suggests?

I'd leave, you should have slammed the doors on anything that wasn't written down, you let them take advantage of you....

Quote:
From my own opinion, I've been telling my wife that I should just stick it out for a 1-2 years, I think I was taken advantage of but there's not much I can do as leaving a company in 3- 6 months seems like a career mistake.
Just tell the new employer you were led to believe the job was more in your line of work, but they reduced you without your agreement and violated the agreements.

I'd also look REAL HARD at any contract you signed (Please tell me you have copies) and then move forward with your leaving (If they violated the agreement, then paying back the bonus may be a fight worthy of the cost....)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment