Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2016, 01:40 PM

10,340 posts, read 5,828,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
Many of us have suffered from stress, depression, and anxiety at one point in time or another. Myself included. I saw a doctor, got help, and recovered from it. It's part of life for some people. Choosing to let it control your life is a personal choice. There are ways to get over it. I didn't miss one day of work from it. It's a personal responsibility.

I've been down that road. I ended up with BP so high that I was on the verge of a stroke. My doctor warned me to make a change with my job or basically prepare to die. I changed jobs and eliminated the issue. I also took medication for a while to help control the stress until I could move on to something else. It was a much easier fix than I anticipated. But I wanted to do something about it... not just tell people that I have an illness no one understands.
Exactly this! If "no one should stay at a job they hate", then that is their reasoning and responsibility to move on. You will still need to support yourself though -no matter what the job- as you do not have (from your description) an incurable disability, and have not tried every remedy.

You no longer qualify for short term disability, as this is no longer short term. It has been going on for months and months. In order to qualify for Long term disability there still has to be a diagnosis, steps being taken to bring you back to work-ability, and reasons you cannot perform the essential duties of your job. You will need a doctor to put down in writing: "Orchidrose can no longer perform the duties of her job, she is disabled, there is no plan as there are no medications that are effective for this health issue and all remedies have been exhausted."

Do you really believe a second doctor will review your case and decide these very things? Even if by some miracle one were to go along with all of these illogical conclusions, the Insurance Company may decide you need even more documentation than this and investigate, (yes with cameras) because it does not make sense.

Look for a new job that you can perform, request a new form of prescribed anti-anxiety meds, or a combination of meds and therapy, and be active in your own future. Be happy you are not being investigated and try to move on.

Old 05-26-2016, 01:42 PM

19,737 posts, read 11,980,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orchidrose View Post
Yeah, I'm really used to people at this point saying nasty stuff about being lazy so I just kind of ignore it. If someone followed me around with a camera all day they'd see I literally can't even do basic things sometimes and just sit on the couch and try to catch my breath for an hour straight because I'm freaking out about nothing, I'm sure I'd be a huge asset in an office, lol. It's so hard finding the right medication. I've taken various stuff for the past few years but none of it helps that much.

The person I'm seeing is actually a Psychiatrist. I'm wondering if I should ask to see someone else, but like I said before I'm scared all the doctors will just stick together and trust her judgment because they all work for the same hospital. It's hard for me to see a different doctor because my insurance is really weird and this is the only place that takes it.
It is almost certain that your disability provider has had a PI doing just that at least once.

Old 05-26-2016, 01:47 PM

596 posts, read 727,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
Many of us have suffered from stress, depression, and anxiety at one point in time or another. Myself included. I saw a doctor, got help, and recovered from it. It's part of life for some people. Choosing to let it control your life is a personal choice. There are ways to get over it. I didn't miss one day of work from it. It's a personal responsibility.

Many of us know a lot more than you know. It doesn't take much reasoning from your posts to realize that you are playing the system. You have all but admitted to that between some of your posts.

I've been down that road. I ended up with BP so high that I was on the verge of a stroke. My doctor warned me to make a change with my job or basically prepare to die. I changed jobs and eliminated the issue. I also took medication for a while to help control the stress until I could move on to something else. It was a much easier fix than I anticipated. But I wanted to do something about it... not just tell people that I have an illness no one understands.

This is a crutch. Nothing more. There are people who can help. Get the help and become productive.

The context is there. You said it, so you have to own it. Having an illness doesn't justify those statements. It isn't a free pass unfortunately. You're still responsible for them.

If no one cared, no one would bother to respond to you. Maybe you need to think as well. You're not the first, nor will you be the last to have these problems. But there are victims and survivors. We all get to choose what we want to be. Have you ever thought that maybe some of us aren't trying to be harsh, but possibly trying to give you a wake up call to get you to do something about it? It's harsh when you're in a victim mentality. It's help when you want it.
Wow. I don't know anything about the OP's situation, and I'm not going to make any assumptions or weigh in on whether he's "gaming the system" because I haven't read the other threads to which some people have referred. But I will tell you that just because you found medication and changing jobs to be an easy fix for you, that certainly does not mean that's the case for everyone who deals with depression and anxiety. You never missed a day of work due your depression and anxiety? Wonderful for you! Again, that doesn't mean it works that way for everyone else.

Do you have any idea how many people struggle just to find the right medication to give them any kind of relief from their mental illness? Some people go for decades trying this med and that med, this doctor and that doctor, this method of counseling and that method of counseling. Only to find little to no relief. I've been there. I have no shame in admitting that I was out of work for a period of time because my depression and anxiety were crippling. And I certainly wasn't scamming any system because I didn't even have a job to try to get benefits from. I simply could not function enough to work so I resigned. I was a grown woman with a graduate degree and a good career, and mental illness brought me to my knees. Especially the panic attacks. No job meant eventually no benefits so no way to continue counseling or buying meds. It took years before I was able to function again, and that meant starting over at the bottom. The only reason I was able to do that is because I was fortunate enough to find a job that allowed me to primarily work from home. If I had to go from the pit I was in to commuting and working in an office everyday, I don't think I could have handled it.

I find the audacity and arrogance in your post to be appalling. Also, there is a difference between situational depression/anxiety (in which the symptoms are caused by a specific situation like a stressful job or death of a loved one, etc, which is often more easily alleviated with medication and/or lifestyle changes), and chronic clinical depression/anxiety in which the person deals with the illness on a constant basis, regardless of what's going on in his/her life. Panic attacks often come out of nowhere for no reason at all, even if they don't have a particularly stressful job. Depression is often crippling even if they appear to have no particular reason to be depressed. As is the case with most things in life, one size does not fit all when it comes to illness, be it physical or mental. Just food for thought for those of you who seem to think that anybody who doesn't work due to mental illness is just a lazy liar trying to scam the system. The stigma and ignorance surrounding mental health issues is a topic that I'm extremely passionate about. I have much more that I would like to say but I'm sure I'd get kicked off the forum if I said what I really think about your post.

Old 05-26-2016, 01:50 PM

19 posts, read 80,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
I have premature, genetic, heart disease. It's fatal. Anything further?
I'm really sorry to hear that but I know for a fact if I had that problem I'd probably shoot myself. Everyone copes with things differently. If I had that on top of all my other problems it would be a miracle if I saw tomorrow, so you're pretty strong to contend with that. But like I said, everyone copes with things differently and while I can barely deal with going outside, apparently you can deal with having a terminal illness and still have a fulfilling life. That's not to say my illness isn't valid, it's saying our thresholds for dealing with stress are dramatically different.

Old 05-26-2016, 01:50 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,721,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibbsnm View Post
Wow. I don't know anything about the OP's situation, and I'm not going to make any assumptions or weigh in on whether he's "gaming the system" because I haven't read the other threads to which some people have referred. But I will tell you that just because you found medication and changing jobs to be an easy fix for you, that certainly does not mean that's the case for everyone who deals with depression and anxiety. You never missed a day of work due your depression and anxiety? Wonderful for you! Again, that doesn't mean it works that way for everyone else.

Do you have any idea how many people struggle just to find the right medication to give them any kind of relief from their mental illness? Some people go for decades trying this med and that med, this doctor and that doctor, this method of counseling and that method of counseling. Only to find little to no relief. I've been there. I have no shame in admitting that I was out of work for a period of time because my depression and anxiety were crippling. And I certainly wasn't scamming any system because I didn't even have a job to try to get benefits from. I simply could not function enough to work so I resigned. I was a grown woman with a graduate degree and a good career, and mental illness brought me to my knees. Especially the panic attacks. No job meant eventually no benefits so no way to continue counseling or buying meds. It took years before I was able to function again, and that meant starting over at the bottom. The only reason I was able to do that is because I was fortunate enough to find a job that allowed me to primarily work from home. If I had to go from the pit I was in to commuting and working in an office everyday, I don't think I could have handled it.

I find the audacity and arrogance in your post to be appalling. Also, there is a difference between situational depression/anxiety (in which the symptoms are caused by a specific situation like a stressful job or death of a loved one, etc, which is often more easily alleviated with medication and/or lifestyle changes), and chronic clinical depression/anxiety in which the person deals with the illness on a constant basis, regardless of what's going on in his/her life. Panic attacks often come out of nowhere for no reason at all, even if they don't have a particularly stressful job. Depression is often crippling even if they appear to have no particular reason to be depressed. As is the case with most things in life, one size does not fit all when it comes to illness, be it physical or mental. Just food for thought for those of you who seem to think that anybody who doesn't work due to mental illness is just a lazy liar trying to scam the system. The stigma and ignorance surrounding mental health issues is a topic that I'm extremely passionate about. I have much more that I would like to say but I'm sure I'd get kicked off the forum if I said what I really think about your post.
1 word: kudos

Old 05-26-2016, 01:52 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,061,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stymie13 View Post
I understand that very well. The advice is to not disclose anymore as now privacy no longer exists... Unfortunately even use of the symptoms, easily linked back to icd10 codes and corresponding cpts puts the poster, and now the provider real close to a breach. If 1 of 7 personal identifiers are disclosed, per the hitech amendment of 09, investigation of the disability claim is now wide open.
No, you clearly do not understand HIPAA. OP could post their own records here and it would not be a breach. I'm not suggesting she do that, and there are other privacy concerns, but HIPAA applies to "covered entities" - providers and insurers, etc., not patients and their own records.

Old 05-26-2016, 01:54 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,061,221 times
OP, you should get a second opinion because obviously you don't agree with your current doctor's opinion that you are not medically disabled and are ok to return to work. However, I think you need to recognize that not wanting to go back to work isn't the same thing as being medically disabled. Perhaps a second doctor will agree that you are not better, but if they don't, then you are going to have to accept that you can quit your job if you want, but you aren't going to continue to get paid if you do. Or you will have a new provider who thinks you still need treatment, and will change your protocol so you recover. That is the goal, isn't it? Not having someone who writes you out of work indefinitely....

Old 05-26-2016, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibbsnm View Post

I'm not ashamed to say this post almost brought me to tears because it was a level of empathy and understanding that I'm not used to. I don't even know what to say because you said it all. It's a never-ending cycle that's very hard to escape from. No job = no insurance = no treatment for your illness = no productivity. It's a rut some people can never climb out of. I've been fortunate enough to get treatment because I still have insurance, but I don't even want to think about what will happen when I finally lose my job and the insurance runs out. And I know from experience the way people act in this thread is how people act pretty much everywhere when it comes to mental illness.

I feel stressed and pushed to recover, and when I don't make progress I get even more stressed because the doctor is frustrated I'm not magically better. It's ... all very exhausting honestly. I have a headache now from all this arguing and I sort of wish I didn't post, but I really do appreciate your comment. I guess no matter how many people are cruel there will always be some that understand.

You're lucky you can work from home. I was actually thinking about that but have no idea how to get started. After I get cleared for work I may have to investigate working from home because that seems a lot more feasible than trudging to an office every day. Exactly like you said, I don't think I could do it even if someone had a gun to my head forcing me. People don't realize how simple tasks can be downright exhausting and impossible because they've never been through it.

Old 05-26-2016, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stymie13 View Post
Mental illness still has a lot of stigma around it. Buddy of mine committed suicide over PTSD in April. 3 tours in Iraq.

Find a more conducive forum to solicit advice. And don't disclaim any personal information (there are multiple sites dedicated to this topic).
I'm really sorry to hear about your friend, and frankly it terrifies me because I know how serious this illness can be. And I think you're right, this place isn't the best for advice of this nature. I'll try to find somewhere else later on because I'm tired of being yelled at on here... Thanks for stopping by though.

Old 05-26-2016, 02:01 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,721,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
No, you clearly do not understand HIPAA. OP could post their own records here and it would not be a breach. I'm not suggesting she do that, and there are other privacy concerns, but HIPAA applies to "covered entities" - providers and insurers, etc., not patients and their own records.
Way to read page 2 of hitech. Ask the 3 insurers, 5 state dois, and 2 contracted entities where I updated their hipaa policies and procedures to pass audit.. All which did.

If you read carefully, it was stated to not link 1 more piece of information so that the std/ltd claim is now not protected due to self disclosure in open forums.

Technically, you are correct: it's not a 'breach' in the 4 scale fine sense. But further disclosure completely opens up medical info that would normally need supoena power to get.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment