Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2016, 08:14 PM

546 posts, read 760,129 times

Advertisements

Nepotism meaning managers can hire their friends,relatives etc.
there are some regulations for City/Federal employment
but Private sector like Fortune 500 companies don't have.
I think all hires should be done randomly as long person qualifies for job! like a lottery
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2016, 08:19 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,532,735 times
And I think when a person starts his own company it should be his prerogative to hire the persons he chooses to hire. We are not a communist country where the government has any business controlling what private enterprise does. If you don't like what the other company management does, start your own business and do what you think is right with it.

Old 05-26-2016, 08:34 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,221 posts, read 80,405,058 times
Even at public agencies, nepotism is perfectly legal, as long as the family member goes through the formal hiring process and the hiring manager doesn't interview and select their own family member. Sometimes a family will have generations of great workers. I worked for a major utility district. In CA as a supervisor, and my direct reports included a grandmother, mother, and daughter. The daughter's brother worked in another department. All were outstanding employees. I eventually hired my sister in law, she still works there and will retire in 5-6 years with 35 years service with several promotions over the years, after I left 22 years ago. If the best person for the job is a family member, they should get the job.

Old 05-26-2016, 08:43 PM

546 posts, read 760,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
If the best person for the job is a family member, they should get the job.
it is totally unfair to other candidates. fair chance if all had equal chance at getting a job.
I understand if small mom and pop stores.

Old 05-26-2016, 08:47 PM

22,331 posts, read 47,289,110 times
Last time you complained when companies prefer to hire former police.
Sounds like you don't want anyone to hire anyone!

Why the perceived slights?

Old 05-26-2016, 08:49 PM

29,452 posts, read 22,399,288 times
Nothing wrong with it, a company in a free country like ours should feel free to run their business as they see fit (as long it's not violating existing laws in protected classes).

I'm sure the OP would have no problems if he/she were the beneficiary of nepotism for a job.

Old 05-26-2016, 09:03 PM

12,070 posts, read 23,143,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycnyc11209 View Post
I think all hires should be done randomly as long person qualifies for job! like a lottery
I bet if you owned your own company you would rather do something other than pull names out of hat.

Old 05-26-2016, 09:14 PM

13,087 posts, read 20,785,005 times
Quote:
Nepotism is one of the great pillars of America. It is as patriotic and noble as mom's apple pie. It signifies that Private Business will be free from arbitrary government regulations and signals that we are truly a free nation. If you make nepotism illegal, next thing you will see is government telling you what job you will do. It's not you choice to be an accountant, doctor, engineer, chef, or machinist; if government says you are to be a toilet cleaner, that/s what you will be. Is this really how simple american employees see things? If so, I weep for our future.

Old 05-26-2016, 09:21 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,037,566 times
Quote:
it is totally unfair to other candidates. fair chance if all had equal chance at getting a job.
I understand if small mom and pop stores.
Unfair according to whom?
Start your own company and hire as you choose otherwise not your concern who hires whom and how it is done.

Old 05-26-2016, 09:26 PM

13,011 posts, read 12,981,040 times
Quote:
What a terrible idea.

I recently rejected a candidate that was perfectly qualified. Definitely had the education, experience, and specific knowledge. But she was a complete pain in the ass through the interview process. She demanded a very specific interview time that was inconvenient for the hiring committee. Initial interview was via Skype, and she refused to turn on her video. Then she initiated an argument over the terms of our travel reimbursement policy.

Would you have hired this person? Would you be happy if a random draw assigned this person to your company?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment