Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2016, 05:38 PM

769 posts, read 782,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZestyCharles View Post
While it's true you can learn all of this on your own, most people benefit from a structured learning environment where they can be mentored by people who know what they are doing.

Coding bootcamps also have a higher job placement rate than universities, which is really saying something.
I have never met a good real programmer who learned this in a school. This is one skill that you should hone through enthusiasm, self driven trial and error and lots of hands on coding. Get yourself a raspberry pi and go. If you don't have the drive and aptitude then forget about this field. You will never be competitive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2016, 08:55 PM

57 posts, read 50,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
Thanks. Did he feel they assisted him with getting a job? Does he feel like the camp adequately trained him?

If I may ask, which one did he do?
I'm not sure if they assisted him in getting a job. I know he has no problem finding work now and recruiters are reaching out constantly. He does know a specialized language, which really makes the difference.

I am not sure if he would say it adequately prepared him since he already had his degree in a technical field of engineering and the difference between it and computer engineering was two classes i believe. He had already been working for 3 years with his old degree and I think he took the boot camp to sort of refresh what he already knew.

Old 05-28-2016, 06:50 AM

449 posts, read 495,180 times
I work in a technology company. At least 1 person I know is from a coding boot camp and she's a Web Developer there. I don't think the majority are from boot camps though.

Old 05-28-2016, 07:27 AM

449 posts, read 495,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZestyCharles View Post
While it's true you can learn all of this on your own, most people benefit from a structured learning environment where they can be mentored by people who know what they are doing.

Coding bootcamps also have a higher job placement rate than universities, which is really saying something.

That is true, but not all the jobs the students are placed in is actual programming jobs. In fact some aren't even in technical positions, so don't be misled by their really high job placement figures. Even if you get a job as an Admin Assistant that is still considered a "job placement" by the Coding Bootcamps.

Old 09-04-2017, 09:38 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,572,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevdawgg View Post
Coding bootcamps has a curriculum that's more focused on a development job than a college/university. In universities, they make you take classes like medieval literature (which doesn't relate to any job in the tech world).
i doubt they teach maths or computational science as well. just chugging out code-monkeys that know the syntax of java (or whatever langue-du-jour these days) without discipline of concepts like order of operations, system of equations, function expansion, variable substitution, boolean logic, truth tables, venn diagrams, cross-correlation, ...

its like knowing how to do something without respect for why its being done so that one can optimize it for a specific situation.

Old 09-04-2017, 10:16 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,922,180 times
I know a lot of people who go to them because they're sick of working at Walmart or whatever and it's advertised as the "next big thing" that pays the big bucks.

Old 03-29-2019, 04:22 PM

2 posts, read 882 times
Default Bootcamp on Long Island?

Any coding Bootcamp on Long Island?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment