Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2016, 10:25 AM

10,350 posts, read 13,925,188 times

Advertisements

A year ago at this time I was facing a layoff. While I did find a job after a somewhat short search, this was one of the most stressful things I've had to put up with. One of the worst parts of it was coworkers asking if I had found a job yet. I'm writing this to say, that if you have coworkers facing a layoff, do them the courtesy of not asking if they've found a job yet. Better yet, don't talk about the job search unless you have a lead for them or the bring it up. I just wanted to put this out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2016, 11:11 AM

6,033 posts, read 6,141,242 times
Makes sense, being sensitive to others.

I've been unemployed a few times across the arc of my career so far...this is not an uncommon thing in IT. I seldom "liked" it (with an exception or two, given great severance packages). There is tons of work in my field, by-design to my skills, but yes agreed it's great when peers come to you with leads...aka networking opportunities...vs. platitudes. They mean well, but "don't get it."

Unemployment is uncomfortable for others. Peer of mine who retired as a Lt. Colonel (O5) after about 24 years of service is having difficulty finding civilian work. He has a great pension, but still it's stressful for him too since he's in his prime and wants to work, like most of us. But after about a year of listening to his trial-and-error, and a little coaching on what employers want these days, I'm starting to wonder what those same employers don't like about him...see, I'm doing it too. People are funny that way, me included apparently.

Old 05-28-2016, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
Makes sense, being sensitive to others.

I've been unemployed a few times across the arc of my career so far...this is not an uncommon thing in IT. I seldom "liked" it (with an exception or two, given great severance packages). There is tons of work in my field, by-design to my skills, but yes agreed it's great when peers come to you with leads...aka networking opportunities...vs. platitudes. They mean well, but "don't get it."

Unemployment is uncomfortable for others. Peer of mine who retired as a Lt. Colonel (O5) after about 24 years of service is having difficulty finding civilian work. He has a great pension, but still it's stressful for him too since he's in his prime and wants to work, like most of us. But after about a year of listening to his trial-and-error, and a little coaching on what employers want these days, I'm starting to wonder what those same employers don't like about him...see, I'm doing it too. People are funny that way, me included apparently.
Regardless of the situation, the job search is stressful and hounding someone about it doesn't help.

Old 05-29-2016, 01:07 AM

38 posts, read 31,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
A year ago at this time I was facing a layoff. While I did find a job after a somewhat short search, this was one of the most stressful things I've had to put up with. One of the worst parts of it was coworkers asking if I had found a job yet. I'm writing this to say, that if you have coworkers facing a layoff, do them the courtesy of not asking if they've found a job yet. Better yet, don't talk about the job search unless you have a lead for them or the bring it up. I just wanted to put this out there.
Maybe they were asking so as to get tips of where to apply also?

Old 05-29-2016, 08:37 AM

23,512 posts, read 23,986,796 times
No doubt, being unemployed is very stressful. Once, a group of co-workers and I were faced with a layoff at a start-up (low on funding). We stayed in touch and helped each out with leads, etc. Eventually, one of us found a job and was able to refer others to the hiring company. So, it can work both ways.

Old 05-29-2016, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TypicalWageEarner View Post
Maybe they were asking so as to get tips of where to apply also?
These ones I know weren't looking elsewhere.

Old 05-29-2016, 10:17 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,552,800 times
Quote:
I went through this two years ago. They cut my position, but I had to work there six more weeks. The person they SHOULD have cut (the entire office knew it) was desperate to find me a job, obviously to ease her guilt. It was also the time of year that our office usually hosted a lunch, but that was scrapped. This person looked me in the face and told me she was glad because she "doesn't handle change well."

It was a horrible six weeks and they treated me like garbage, but I couldn't walk out because I needed the money.

Two years later, I'd like to send them a thank you card for being petty *******s because it was the BEST thing that could have happened to me.

Old 05-30-2016, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeagleLady View Post
I went through this two years ago. They cut my position, but I had to work there six more weeks. The person they SHOULD have cut (the entire office knew it) was desperate to find me a job, obviously to ease her guilt. It was also the time of year that our office usually hosted a lunch, but that was scrapped. This person looked me in the face and told me she was glad because she "doesn't handle change well."

It was a horrible six weeks and they treated me like garbage, but I couldn't walk out because I needed the money.

Two years later, I'd like to send them a thank you card for being petty *******s because it was the BEST thing that could have happened to me.
Did you work in the same place I did?

Old 05-30-2016, 08:30 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,552,800 times
Quote:
Did you work in the same place I did?
I kind of hope so because I hate to think there are more places like that!

Old 05-31-2016, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeagleLady View Post
I kind of hope so because I hate to think there are more places like that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment