Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2016, 11:38 PM

1,844 posts, read 2,419,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickchick View Post
Constantly obviously but as to the criminal record, criminals get jobs easier than I do. I'm sure if I had a job I wouldn't be so fearful so I guess I'm already cut out but I fear I'll never get one and my fears are proven to me. Although if I had a job I would not take it for granted at all and work my absolute hardest because I'd never want any chance of going through this again.

I have not the greatest credit, barely any references and an employment gap. When you tie all that together it is worse to employers than a criminal history. I'm not sure why I think it's because there is a big support system for criminals. They want to keep the criminals from committing more crimes so they put them to work but no one cares about regular people depending on the country's money. If I was anyone else my credit lack of references and employment gap wouldn't matter so much I'm sure but no one wants to hire me because I am the plague. They have the mindset that criminals can be rehabilitated but disabilities and personalities can't be fixed which I kinda get but at the same time my disability wouldn't make me bad at my job as the money would really be motivation to push through and learn what I don't know. Also it's not like I'm a malicious person so not sure why it matters why I'm not the most sociable person or positive (as I would only be negative about myself and I'm mostly only that way because I don't have a job so a job would improve me)

I have had my sites put in my resume to fix the gap as well as my degree but that's only enough to get me into a few interviews.
I can't fix my credit because I can't pay my student loans off. It's a catch 22 because I need a job to fix my credit.
Please consider call center work. It's a foot in the door. They have such high turnover that there are always positions open. Six weeks makes you a pro - work yourself up the call center ladder. Top tier are financial call centers - working for banks, credit card orgs. Just hold your nose and consider doing it - you'd be no worse off than you are now. You actually might like it - and you DO learn poise - a lifelong useful skill that signifies well in C-level circles. Best wishes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2016, 02:29 AM

6,988 posts, read 4,846,583 times
Call center work is not the best work in the world. There's a reason they have so much turnover. They're constantly changing the parameters of what your job is and if you screw up just once, you're out the door.

I worked for Sprint and got a call once from a clerk at a company store asking for my help with a walk-in customer's phone. The customer couldn't get hold of her mother. While I was trying to help the clerk (who was trying to help the customer), the clerk tried calling the customer's mother on her own phone. It seems that the problem was with the mother's phone and nothing could be done about it as the mother had a different carrier. Just the same, Sprint called the customer and asked her if her issue had been resolved and the customer said no. And I got dinged for the call, even though I never talked with the customer and the problem had nothing to do with our company.

You only get so many dings before you're let go and this is how they operate. Believe me, you don't want to work for a call center like this.

Old 06-01-2016, 09:21 AM

1,279 posts, read 1,829,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
Most employees are continually anxious about the possibility of losing their job.

Whenever the big wheels would come down to give a talk, for the employees it all was bla, bla, bla until it got to the topic of future job security and possible jobs growth or loss.

My advice: When you are young, start saving aggressively. By your 50s be out of debt.

Having a paid off house and no debt and a big bank account is a good way to kill the fear of potential job loss.
I agree with this, I paid cash for my first house in my twenties (my own money, not the bank of mom & dad like many of my generation) and although it's not the nicest or biggest house in the world, or the best area, it's nice enough for me and walk able to everything. Car although now higher mileage is paid off, and I'm paying as I go through grad school. Plus I have rental property. No, I wouldn't live the life of a king, but I'd have more than enough to support myself and then some, if something happened to my job. A lot less worry, but still in the grind for another 6 years for extra cushion. While the work is there, I might as well get the money and invest it as well to be even more secure in the event of health issues (already happened twice) and other trials and tribulations.

Old 06-01-2016, 09:28 AM

10,029 posts, read 7,186,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
1. People control their criminal history by not committing crimes.
2. People control their references by only providing the names of people will give a good reference.
3 Employment gaps can be mitigated by doing freelance or volunteer work should unemployment drag on past a few months .
4. Poor credit can be controlled by paying bills, repairing credit report, or targeting jobs where credit doesn't matter.
5. After age 40, one can plan to stay long term in a current position, stay abreast of latest technology, keep skills updated, move to become an "expert" in the field by getting published, speaking at conferences, etc.

No need to live in fear.
Agree with 1,2 and 4. Age discrimination is a serious issue though. Also, does anyone care if you volunteered?

Old 06-01-2016, 09:31 AM

16,501 posts, read 19,575,896 times
I'm sure if you had stage 4 *any type* of cancer, you wouldn't give a rats behind about employment....

Old 06-01-2016, 10:29 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,457,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
Agree with 1,2 and 4. Age discrimination is a serious issue though. Also, does anyone care if you volunteered?
Some places will see the validity of volunteer work. Many won't. However, it's better than nothing and volunteer work may be parlayed into a job opportunity in the non profit sector.

Old 06-01-2016, 10:44 AM

9,408 posts, read 11,906,379 times
This is highly dependent upon the specific job/field. For some the stuff listed may not matter much. For others, even one from the list could be the death-knell for your career.

Old 06-01-2016, 10:51 AM

34,938 posts, read 31,079,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
This is highly dependent upon the specific job/field. For some the stuff listed may not matter much. For others, even one from the list could be the death-knell for your career.
Felonies are going to be a big block most anywhere.

Old 06-01-2016, 11:36 AM

1,188 posts, read 956,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
1. People control their criminal history by not committing crimes.

That's the best joke I've heard all day.

The law (in America) is unknowable. The average American commits 5 felonies per day without even knowing it.

Old 06-01-2016, 01:05 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,457,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaldDuth View Post
That's the best joke I've heard all day.

The law (in America) is unknowable. The average American commits 5 felonies per day without even knowing it.
Which felonies might those be?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment