Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2016, 09:11 AM

22,565 posts, read 47,614,734 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bell235 View Post
what exactly is e-commerce?

i looked it up and it just says "commercial transactions conducted electronically on the Internet".

what does your company actually do?

i only ask because whenever i hear that someone has their own business it's always something vague and i never know what exactly it is that they do.
In my experience, they are deliberately vague (import/export is another catch phrase) , afraid you are out to steal their business model.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2016, 01:28 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,497,029 times
At the most basic level, e-commerce is selling stuff over the internet. It could be selling on Ebay/Etsy, selling eBooks, online classes, downloads, drop shipping products, etc.

Old 06-02-2016, 03:43 PM

1,185 posts, read 1,502,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
The employment world isn't broken. It's the same as it's always been.

Start a business if you want to.
She's right.

It always has been: Slave away and make your boss rich.

I started my own business 6 years ago and have never looked back.

I work a lot longer than I used to, and slow months give me anxiety attacks, but it is worth it.

Most of the anxiety attacks are due to the thought of having to go back to work for "the man".

Old 06-02-2016, 06:53 PM

3,734 posts, read 5,766,785 times
I opened my first office when I was barely thirty. For two decades, I've been 'The Boss'. I have seldom worked "hard", or "long hours" - not at that endeavor, anyway. I had plenty of time for two hours of exercise, gardening, working on our homes, lots of time with the kids, social climbing, twice-a-day romps with my husband, organic Vegetarian cooking, and, most important, managing active investment of money coming in from my business and my husband's business.

But that's to be expected, considering that my degrees qualify me to run large organizations, and that I've been a business 'insider' since before I hit puberty.

I picked the right friends (at Seventeen, a group of hungry, rapacious young aristocrats, who'd grown up poor and ridiculed - an atypical group, at that podunk university for poor kids - a group intent upon getting and keeping lots of money), picked the right husband (a pitifully ugly boy, who, once his hair grew long, and once he'd been lifting weights for a year, turned out to be not just brilliant, but also spectacular), picked the right names for us (We changed our names both before AND after marriage, in order to erase all ties with our scummy pasts), and picked the right religion(s).

I delegated our family's aesthetics to our Decorator (by my side, since we were penniless seventeen-year-olds), delegated PR/Ads/Spin/Graphics to a friend who dropped out of Economics and became a Graphic Designer/Ad agency Owner. Bit-by-bit, I delegated almost every quotidian aspect of my business and private lives, to others.

But that may be as much a product of genetic predisposition as it is a product of my training. My 'Real Daddy', whom I never knew, helmed a 'parallel power structure' reaching into several states. He drove his Imperial around the countryside, checking on 'bidnis'. Like me, he became 'The Boss' rather early. And my Russian Great-grandfather (who'd pass by, on occasion, and impregnate my Great-grandmother with genetically-blessed-but-illegitimate offspring) worked his way up from peddling, to found one of the larger enterprises in the Southeast. I never knew him. And I hear that his legitimate descendants live in fear of our ever attempting contact or dropping their names. Nor did I know any of my two generations of uncles, who'd hit puberty and run-off, to become "The Boss", in Chattanooga and Atlanta and Anderson (SC), and Asheville. "It" runs in the family.

And "It" - seems to be common among narcissists. I'm not "a bad one". But I'm as narcissistic and machiavellian as one would expect, considering what others see as my "nightmarish" childhood. I didn't experience growing up as being all that bad. But then, I carried a big stick, and hid big sticks all around my 'world', in case my enemies stole my big stick (which they frequently did...). Having to think many steps ahead, seems to have enhanced my planning ability. I compulsively develop backup upon backup upon backup. And I have a very common narcissistic trait: the ability to appear as a hard worker, when one is actually capitalizing on the work of others.

Then, there's PACKAGING. Early in our marriage, while we were still working odd jobs on campus, I found a source for fine clothing, at Pennies-on-the-Dollar. Most Mississippians were scornful, in '83, of anything not by Polo, Sperry, or Duckhead. So, I only had real competition from Black Debutantes from Chicago (who've become permanent family friends), for the Fendi, Pucci, Burberry, and Armani, at the old, original, long-gone Steinmart Saks Sales. Dishwater Blond Fratrats & Suzies smirked at my 'weird' finds. But that was OK. Let them laugh: I read Town & Country, and knew the value of things those little conformists considered 'strange'. I dressed my husband and myself, buying thousands of dollars worth of 'Tutto Fatto in Italia', for seventy five or a hundred bucks, during grueling six-hour grubbing & grabbing marathons. Back on campus, DH & I & our friends, out-dressed everybody in the county. Later, I developed New York and LA eBay sources, for the clothing of dead billionaires.

Clothing that had belonged to the wealthiest inhabitants of Old Westbury and Rancho Santa Fe, made its way to posh little Madison, Mississippi (http://www.city-data.com/forum/attac...cvs-ii-022.jpg), and onto our backs. This was while I was becoming the 'Boss Lady', and DH was founding his own companies. WE LOOKED THE PART. I cannot stress, enough, that it is helpful to look the part. And it's best if you can look the part, WITHOUT actually spending ten thousand Dollars for every outfit in your business wardrobe. That leaves money for investing. It leaves money for expanding. It leaves money for building the solid net worth which lenders want to see, before they lend.

Everyone in our original 'pod' of friends, is 'The Boss' of something. Some, like my Decorator, do little but work (and exercise). Others, like me, flit between investments and more active ventures. But none of us have any real interests, beyond wealth, status, the wealth and status of posterity, and sex. We have no other values. These are our values. The men do not hunt. The men do not care about sports. And none of us girls are capable of the sort of cooking, or the sort of 'connectedness' which seem to be so effortless for 'normal' females. We cook "Fast, Cheap & Healthy", while our normal counterpartsspend all day "making it good". Other women talk gynecology and emotions. We talk money. So do our husbands.

I can't tell you about other people. This is my world.

Old 06-04-2016, 12:28 PM

341 posts, read 1,232,020 times
Default hmm

My sister started a day care because she didn't like having a boss. I think it depends what type of business and how good of a business person you are. She struggled in the beginning and put in a lot of hours but in the end was worth it because things are a lot better for them and they are now opening up a 2nd daycare...so now it's back to a lot of work because starting a business is a lot of work.

My parents have a business and it's been open over 30 years. It's an Asian grocery that sells a lot of international stuff and his brother owns the Thai restaurant next door. My dad works every day from 12-8:30. He works hard but he really doesn't have to...he is a workaholic. But he does get to run errands, wake up late, rest and take a nap in his office, etc.

Old 06-04-2016, 08:26 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,472,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle21689 View Post
My sister started a day care because she didn't like having a boss. I think it depends what type of business and how good of a business person you are. She struggled in the beginning and put in a lot of hours but in the end was worth it because things are a lot better for them and they are now opening up a 2nd daycare...so now it's back to a lot of work because starting a business is a lot of work.

My parents have a business and it's been open over 30 years. It's an Asian grocery that sells a lot of international stuff and his brother owns the Thai restaurant next door. My dad works every day from 12-8:30. He works hard but he really doesn't have to...he is a workaholic. But he does get to run errands, wake up late, rest and take a nap in his office, etc.
Being able to take cat naps would be a pretty big perk for me for any job. For some places, sleep tubes are a thing due to that. I do get to run errands where I'm currently at though.

Old 06-05-2016, 06:12 AM

5,347 posts, read 7,196,428 times
Every single successful business owner was told

"You're gonna fail, just get a real job like everyone else"

Old 06-05-2016, 12:57 PM

4,525 posts, read 3,403,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
Every single successful business owner was told

"You're gonna fail, just get a real job like everyone else"
I would counter with this:

"If you follow that advice, then you never really wanted to be a business owner in the first place."

Sure, you might fail, but you can also succeed big time. With my online business, I could have failed and given plenty of times, but stuck with it, and am now starting to see success my way.

Old 06-05-2016, 03:22 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe33 View Post
My neighbor is a electrical engineer working for a Electrical contractor. They have 5 Engineers. All of them work 60 hrs /wk..10hr per day 6 days per week. The sad thing is that there is no work. They go in and just sit around. If call comes in for sunday, they work Sunday too. Salary 65k.
That's call the white collar welfare job.

Old 06-06-2016, 08:19 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,659,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_grimace View Post

Just in my short six years, I've witnessed and encountered:
- nepotism/favoritism (preference towards "friends" rather than skills and qualifications)
- embezzlement/fraud by managers/officers
- violence/sexual harassment in the workplace
- seen people thrown under the bus for stuff they didn't do (happened to me once too!)
- people fired for literally no reason, or frequent layoffs
- RIDICULOUS hiring practices
- abusive bosses. Employees treated like garbage.

How do you think that starting your own business will change any of this? It will only change your perspective. Not the actuality of it all. I'll address some of these issues.

If you hire employees, you'll eventually hear them complain of nepotism and favoritism by you towards another employee. You'll see it as having that one star employee that you like and that you want to develop. The ones who just show up for a paycheck eventually work their way out the door. You'll want top performers as they help make the business grow.

If you eventually grow to the point of having a manager work for you, you could find yourself in a situation of them stealing from you. It can and does happen. Starting your own business doesn't change that. The difference is that they will now be directly stealing from you.

Violence can happen anywhere. Starting a business doesn't negate that.

Eventually you'll have something happen in the business that you'll need to hold someone accountable for. Unfortunately, the actual culprit could try to throw someone else under the bus. The difference is that you'll have to make a decision based on what you hear and see, which means someone may get thrown under the bus and you may not know it.

You'll come to a point in time where you may have to fire someone or lay someone off. It's an inevitable part of any business. You may not want to give them a reason to avoid legally obligating yourself. You just won't be on the receiving end this time.

You may have some tough jobs to do and those tough jobs may result in your employees whining about you being unfair. There are times where you will have to make tough decisions that could cause the employees to complain about you being tough and unfair. It's life.

Quote:
Really the list could go on and on.... All that matters to a lot of these companies is the bottom line and filling the pockets of the top dogs as deep as they can.

So when you start a business, do you intend to give your money away or do you want to make as much as you can to secure your future? No one starts a business with the intention of barely making ends meet. The intent is to make money (and lots of it if you can) so that you can retire in the future.

Quote:
All this being said, I'm highly reconsidering my stance on starting my own business. I'm very nervous about it and not sure what I would even do... I also am not fond of potentially working 60-80 hour weeks. Not only that, but they say 4/5 businesses fail in the first year, and another 4/5 fail in five years, That leaves us, what, a 4% chance of long term success? Definitely scary. But six years in the corporate world and I don't think I can stand another year with the way employment is trending. I think I now understand why my dad worked so hard and long just for the privilege of being his own boss.... Unless you are one of the lucky people who can get in with one of those very rare good companies (and even then nothing is guaranteed), it is simply not worth the struggle of being in such a rat race.

My dad has three businesses. He is the only employee now that I moved away in all three. He works 14-16 hr days, sometimes weeks or months without a day off. He does pretty well with them considering where he lives but it is a struggle. I think we took one vacation my entire life because he had to be back at work. You have to hustle and do whatever it takes to succeed. A corporate job is easier in that respect as you do your work and go home. As a business owner, you live the business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment