Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2016, 11:32 PM

200 posts, read 285,414 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dysgenic View Post
I am 42 and the employment world is totally different now than it was when I started- it's not even close!

Why people feel the need to lie to defend evil corporations is beyond me.
Because they are working for the dark side themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2016, 11:33 PM

200 posts, read 285,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Just because people have different opinions and experiences than you do... does not mean they are lying or defending anything/anyone.

:::sheesh:::
Sure it does. They become corrupt because they sold their souls to the big business that they work for.

Old 08-08-2016, 07:41 AM

3,276 posts, read 7,845,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tassity22 View Post
I am currently not "self-employed", but I do work from my home. I am contract only so no benefits.

However, the main advantage is not having to deal with other people in an office all day long. The people I work for, only know me through email, and don't have much of a chance to form personal prejudices against me. They can pretty much only judge me by my work output. This is a huge, HUGE advantage to being in an office, where things like workplace bullying, harassment and gossip go on.
Sounds nice. I've dealt with plenty of bullying, harassment, and gossip at my office jobs. Something about offices makes people nasty. I think it's the mind-numbing banality of the work itself. I want nothing to do with offices anymore. They absolutely suck!

Old 08-08-2016, 10:06 AM

6,985 posts, read 7,048,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
Sounds nice. I've dealt with plenty of bullying, harassment, and gossip at my office jobs. Something about offices makes people nasty. I think it's the mind-numbing banality of the work itself. I want nothing to do with offices anymore. They absolutely suck!
So what alternative do you propose?

Old 08-08-2016, 10:38 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,937,291 times
Being an employee was far riskier than going into business for myself. Capital earnings from a properly structured business are far superior to wage earnings.

Old 08-08-2016, 10:00 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,115,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
Being an employee was far riskier than going into business for myself. Capital earnings from a properly structured business are far superior to wage earnings.
Only if you have the up front capital to do it right.

Old 08-09-2016, 04:10 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,839,139 times
Started my own business because I had the time and money to do things on the side. E-commerce if properly setup and if you know your market is a money maker without having the overhead of a brick and mortar.

Old 08-09-2016, 01:39 PM

1,904 posts, read 1,045,336 times
Good read and something to consider before you step out on your own.

Why you should quit your business and get a real job | Peter Shallard

Old 08-09-2016, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
Started my own business because I had the time and money to do things on the side. E-commerce if properly setup and if you know your market is a money maker without having the overhead of a brick and mortar.
You still have to have the excess space in your home to do it, I am also planning on doing this but when you start looking at adding an extra bed room extra garage space etc when looking at a home the costs go up quite substantially.

I am not disagreeing with you but it is certainly not free even if you run the business out of your home. Everyone should be striving towards this but its a bit oversimplified what the one poster said in wal street speak about starting your own business and a little intellectually dishonest.

If you put everyone that has made it under a microscope you will find that the start up money had to come from some where (6 figure job, significant inheritance, etc, etc). People don't work wall mart jobs and suddenly come up with enough money to buy a 3 bed room house with an over sized garage to set up shop in and moon light. And if you are just buying stuff and reselling it on the internet that is really hard to make money on unless you are able to acquire really hard to get stuff because you are competing with every other amazon seller out there, if you are making something then you have all the equipment start up which will go in your over sized garage and typically will be into the 5 figures.

Again totally worth it and my circle are totally into it but lets not pretend like some guy at wal mart can pull themselves up by their boot straps and do all this.

In my experience the big 3 I have seen for getting out of the poor house are
1. getting super lucky in the military (where you fluke out and have the time to get a degree without having GI Joe as your boss AND you have an MOS that is fully transferable to the civilian sector along with a top secret to go along with it. As well as avoiding the back to back 12 month deployments and maybe only going on one 6 month deployment getting your 5 points and getting out.
2. Took the student loan gamble in STEM/medical and actually made it (or you were one of the 1/10 of 1% that got a full ride).
3. inherited a bunch of money and managed it really well.

There are also some trade people that do ok but it typically takes them most of their life to get something off the ground from what I have seen unless you got lucky and worked drilling oil in some remote part of the world or did welding or some other skilled trade and were in the right place at the right time.

Old 08-09-2016, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balkins View Post
Good read and something to consider before you step out on your own.

Why you should quit your business and get a real job | Peter Shallard
Part of the issue with this is that these days its just as hard to get a good job where you actually learn something as it is to make your business grow. Most jobs are mcjobs or walmart.

Sure working at wal mart is better than starving to death ... to a point I suppose for some people. How many years do you work at wal mart before you trek out on your own again and just accept starvation?

In a world of what ... 7 billion and counting not everyone is going to make it, literally. Also being willing to starve to death, so long as many others were as well would give great leverage to the work force.

Last edited by pittsflyer; 08-09-2016 at 03:21 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment