Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2016, 10:44 AM

7,514 posts, read 13,605,766 times

Advertisements

I once had a fellow employee that told the manager that it was OK to be late because there were construction delays on his direct route to work. After 2 days, the manager took him aside and said "it's your job to be on-time. If it means a different route or leave earlier, then do it; or find a new job closer to home. After that he did come in on-time. (He still bitched about it of course)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2016, 10:46 AM

5,273 posts, read 14,538,194 times
It all depends. If I have a 30 minute commute and allow myself 30 minutes, then no it isn't . Allow for 40. But if it takes 1.5 hours due to reason beyond my control, then it's perfectly acceptable.

Old 06-01-2016, 10:46 AM

2,294 posts, read 2,778,568 times
My belief is that if the traffic is so bad that multiple people are late, then you're probably fine. If you're the only one that was affected by this traffic(despite others coming from the same direction) then you probably have an issue("Everyone else managed to get here on time despite the traffic, why couldn't you?").

But no rational person can call it a bad excuse when 7 people in a department are all late because of a 3 car accident that shut down a highway. Doesn't matter how often it happens, some things are just beyond your control.

That said, you do owe a quick email/text/call to say what's going on. Just showing up an hour late without a heads up isn't going to go over well.

Old 06-01-2016, 10:47 AM

7,514 posts, read 13,605,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoStars View Post
But what if you have a traffic ticket or your licensed is about to expired?
Then arrange ahead of time for time off, don't just show up late.
Everybody has things that come up that can only be handled during the day, but they arrange for the time. Even if it means taking PTO or vacation time.

Old 06-01-2016, 10:47 AM

3,639 posts, read 3,337,121 times
I think you'll be fine the first time, maybe the second. But if you hit traffic multiple time then you need to adjust accordingly. Obviously a fatality and a locked down parkway is going to screw up everyone on that path. Usually in this case, MULTIPLE people are late for the same reason.

Old 06-01-2016, 10:53 AM

2,798 posts, read 2,674,960 times
Quote:
Poor planning on your part is never a good excuse.
Take care of your personal business before it becomes a showstopper.

I used to have a line cook who was late 2-3 times a week. For a while it was sort of entertaining to see what excuse he would come up with this time. but after a while I had to tell him flat out. one late arrival a month was all I was going to tolerate. the second time in the month, he may as well not bother to come in at all.
Harsh? perhaps, but, He was never late for work, again while he worked for me.

Old 06-01-2016, 10:59 AM

22,556 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Quote:
Not your employers fault or problem, right?

Old 06-01-2016, 11:01 AM

6,457 posts, read 7,788,010 times
If it's a very occasional thing then it's ok. If it's more than occasional then no.

In general, leave a few minutes early to deal with minor traffic. Worst thing that'll happen is you get to work 15 minutes early.

Best of luck

Old 06-01-2016, 11:02 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,734,689 times
Quote:
What does this have to do with traffic? This is your issue, your problem. If you need to pay a ticket and renew your license you do so on your time. Take a half day.

Old 06-01-2016, 11:03 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,036,675 times
Quote:
Absolutely not an excuse. You can renew your license and pay traffic tickets on your own time. Schedule a day off, do it on a Saturday, work out a flexible schedule for a day with your manager. Needing to do this at the last minute resulting in unscheduled lateness is not acceptable.

Your poor planning is not my problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment