Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2016, 04:29 PM

4,014 posts, read 2,691,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoStars View Post
But what if you have a traffic ticket or your licensed is about to expired?
Such things usually come with advance notice as to how long you have to get it taken care of, these are not last minute issues.

Not to mention, in many places, you can take care of this online (I did so with my license, and with a minor speeding ticket.)

If you are not able to take care of this online, then you arrange time off in advance to take care of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2016, 04:30 PM

7,985 posts, read 5,356,112 times
Quote:
Just curious has anyone ever been late to work due to traffic reasons? is it a good excuse?
What if an accident happens on the road, you forgot something at home, or maybe you need to go to the DMV real quick?
No, not a good excuse.

Old 06-01-2016, 04:43 PM

1,088 posts, read 1,454,269 times
Quote:
Just curious has anyone ever been late to work due to traffic reasons? is it a good excuse?
What if an accident happens on the road, you forgot something at home, or maybe you need to go to the DMV real quick?
If there is an accident that causes major gridlock, I consider it an extraordinary situation and beyond a person's control. In that event, being late to work would be excusable IF the employee notified their supervisor/manager prior to their scheduled arrival time.

If it happened more than once or twice, it would be logical for the employer to assume that the employee isn't allowing adequate time for the commute. That's a performance issue and should be treated as such.

Forgetting something from home or needing to do any person errands (including a visit to the DMV) are things that should be done outside of work hours. These are unacceptable reasons for tardiness. Unless a later arrival time was requested and approved before the date, that's different.

Old 06-01-2016, 04:53 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,092,141 times
You have to assume that someone else drives a similar route to you and will know if there was a traffic issue. It's only a good excuse if it's true.

Old 06-01-2016, 04:53 PM

3,352 posts, read 2,815,074 times
I used to work with 2 people. .one girl lived ONE MILE from work. ...she was ALWAYS LATE. ..sauntered in 10 15 minutes late....EVERY DAY......the other woman lived 90 miles away on the back roads that were treacherous in winter. .she was never late....

Old 06-01-2016, 05:09 PM

4,014 posts, read 2,691,477 times
Traffic accidents or inclement weather would be understood by employers (and in the latter case, probably the employers give their employees a two hour window to get in.)

Construction, you need to plan around and either take a different route or go early.

All other reasons.....might play *once* in a great while. I think most bosses do understand that sometimes weird things/stupid things happen--the alarm failed, or you just had a bad morning, you walk out the door without your purse and have to go back and get it. If I'm to be honest, I was once fifteen minutes late because I stopped at Starbucks on my way in. The irony is I was actually fifteen minutes *early*, saw the drive-through had only two cars, and figured I could get something and be at work (which was just five minutes down the road) with no problem. Unfortunately, it was one of those drive throughs that once you get in line, you can't get out because of barriers on the side (and somebody pulled up in line behind me), and the car in front of me had some issue going on with their order, and instead of asking that person to pull around and come inside, they let them stay there holding up the line for twenty minutes. I pulled up, and they'd screwed up my order, so I got stalled there. (They gave me my drink for free, but I had words for them about not letting one customer hold up a line like that when people had no choice but to keep going forward, because now I was late for work.) The only reason why my boss was okay with it was she'd been driving behind me when I turned into the Starbucks, and she figured I'd be in and out and couldn't figure out what happened when I didn't turn up five minutes later, so she knew that I hadn't been running late initially, and certainly hadn't expected to be. (But that, obviously, is a once-in-a-blue-moon situation--if I ran into that problem every morning, then I would have to just simply not go to Starbucks.)

Old 06-01-2016, 06:01 PM

10,305 posts, read 13,829,268 times
Quote:
If it happens once or twice its okay. Frequently, not okay. And why would you need to go to the DMV real quick before work? Do that at lunch or after work.

Old 06-01-2016, 06:31 PM

449 posts, read 493,042 times
I think it's valid. Heavy traffic and car accidents is not something that is in our control. Ive seen many situations where no matter how early you leave (reasonably so) it wouldn't make a difference due to major accidents. I live in Maryland and many companies here understand the situation of traffic, it's something we actually have to factor in here as a valid excuse.

Now It does depend on your company/department or whoever it is you report to. My department and company is flexible and understanding. I think it also depends on what type of job you do. For example, if you're in a customer service role and you are needed to relieve a "shift" they will be less tolerable.

Old 06-01-2016, 06:39 PM

147 posts, read 315,293 times
Quote:
But what if you have a traffic ticket or your licensed is about to expired?
Then you ask IN ADVANCE to come in later or leave earlier to take care of it. Offering to work extra hours and/or be flexible is appreciated by most supervisors.

Old 06-01-2016, 06:41 PM

12,999 posts, read 18,845,114 times
Interesting story in our office. One was late due to a traffic crash. We didn't find out until he arrived as he left his phone on his desk!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment