Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2016, 11:33 AM

5 posts, read 3,142 times

Advertisements

I'm now working for a small independent business as on-call receptionist. My job functions are to answer calls as they come. This is a great job b/c it allows me to work from home, is very flexible and the workload is very small. The thing is I have to be available M-F and S business to answer the phone. The amount of calls I get completely varies each day - most calls are from my boss telling me to communicate things to clients.

I make $700-800 a month from this.

I'm also in college full time but not having summer classes now. I usually take 12 credits per semester.

I have 2 job offers. One is from a book company to be a file clerk. 20-25 hours a week. The company is 5 mins walking distance from home, which is great b/c right now I don't have a car. I'd be making $880 a month from this.

Other one is from a small tech firm. 15-25 hours a week. But it's a 20 min commute one way by car...I'd be doing data entry and seems like there's more room to grow. But I've found some shady things, as their founder was investigated for lying about job creating, offshoring jobs and they're registered as a foreign company.

Financially, I don't NEED another job, I can manage all my expenses ok now. BUT I wonder if it's stupid to reject the opportunity to make extra money. Right now in the summer I have days where I have a lot of free time and it makes me feel guilty to not be working and making extra money. I also worry if getting a second job would interfere with my current on-call job as I wouldn't be able to answer all calls. Moreover, I planned on going back home for a week to see my family and if I get a second job I might not be able to do that. I also am not really sure if it would be a good idea to have a more structured bigger time commitment job when I return to classes full time.

Would you guys take a second job if you were me? And if so which one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2016, 01:08 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,281,885 times
Do the file clerk people know that you will be quitting when school starts back up?

Old 06-05-2016, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
Do the file clerk people know that you will be quitting when school starts back up?
I don't know if I'll be quitting when school starts, I just said I'm questioning if I would be able to handle working so many hours and being able to maintain good grades.

Old 06-05-2016, 02:25 PM

3,850 posts, read 4,153,368 times
It doesn't sound as though you can fulfill the responsibilities of a 2nd job unless it is outside the hours of the first job. Otherwise, you probably need to choose one job over the other, not do both.

Old 06-05-2016, 02:25 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by confusedaboutjob View Post
I'm questioning if I would be able to handle working so many hours and being able to maintain good grades.
and no one knows that but you....

Old 06-05-2016, 02:26 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,281,885 times
Isn't the file clerk going to want you to work during the day when school is in session?

I don't have any idea if you will be able to handle the workload with school. Some can, some can't.

Old 06-08-2016, 08:03 AM

3,222 posts, read 4,570,318 times
I don't know what your class schedule is like, but from what you describe it sounds like you could take on a second part-time job IF you work in the evening. It might mean retail or healthcare (hospital, clinic admin help), etc. to find evening hours, but it is a choice.

If it were me I'd stick with the day job, work from home, flexibility. You can be studying while hanging out waiting for calls. It also sounds like they are nice people to work for.

Another alternative to week night work is to find a place to work on Saturday and/or Sunday, day or evening, to supplement your work from home job.

That work from home job is a gem. It gives you freedom, flexibility, and availability is still there for a second part-time job if you want to add weekend or evening hours. Plus you save on commuting expense and time and don't have to worry about a work wardrobe!

Right now I work one Saturday job. Only day I work for them. The second job is an "as needed" day job which is in healthcare and is work from home too. When I get clients they offer really good pay. I am considering a third part-time weekend day job. Maybe one or two days a week just to insure a continuous minimum weekly income. I will wait and see how this second job goes.

Go with what offers you the hours you need to survive financially and to get through your academic program.

Good luck!

Old 06-09-2016, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelinLow View Post
I don't know what your class schedule is like, but from what you describe it sounds like you could take on a second part-time job IF you work in the evening. It might mean retail or healthcare (hospital, clinic admin help), etc. to find evening hours, but it is a choice.

If it were me I'd stick with the day job, work from home, flexibility. You can be studying while hanging out waiting for calls. It also sounds like they are nice people to work for.

Another alternative to week night work is to find a place to work on Saturday and/or Sunday, day or evening, to supplement your work from home job.

That work from home job is a gem. It gives you freedom, flexibility, and availability is still there for a second part-time job if you want to add weekend or evening hours. Plus you save on commuting expense and time and don't have to worry about a work wardrobe!

Right now I work one Saturday job. Only day I work for them. The second job is an "as needed" day job which is in healthcare and is work from home too. When I get clients they offer really good pay. I am considering a third part-time weekend day job. Maybe one or two days a week just to insure a continuous minimum weekly income. I will wait and see how this second job goes.

Go with what offers you the hours you need to survive financially and to get through your academic program.

Good luck!
I can't work in the evening because that's when I have classes.

So you don't think I should take on the SECOND job, just keep one?

Old 06-09-2016, 12:13 PM

857 posts, read 844,463 times
Make sure your primary focus is on your studies and you excel as much as possible. While having a job certainly is a great thing, as long as it doesn't detract from your primary long term goals, getting into additional responsibilities, i.e., second job may have a negative effect on your school work. While it will certainly boost your financial bottom line, we are talking about entry level work/pay that may not be all worth the sacrifice in the end. Hence, focus on the long term plan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment