Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2016, 07:56 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,797,555 times

Advertisements

Here's what happened:

This morning: Not a peep from management about the letter. Email deactivated. Network/computer drive for work deactivated. Timesheet login deactivated. Pay stub login deactivated. Voicemail deactivated. Computer access altogether deactivated.

Around Noon: I managed to get IT (an outside agency to which the company contracted) to reactivate the computer access and email.

Mid-afternoon: Resignation pushed from two weeks to immediately.

I say (in my mind, of course) good riddance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2016, 09:22 PM
ERH

1,699 posts, read 2,528,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
Mid-afternoon: Resignation pushed from two weeks to immediately.
Was this your own action, or at the request of management?

Old 06-10-2016, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERH View Post
Was this your own action, or at the request of management?
Management

I did ask, however, if I could submit my own letter of resignation stating effective immediately (to cover my base), which HR agreed to and accepted.

Old 06-10-2016, 09:34 PM

34,002 posts, read 17,035,093 times
Can you start the new job sooner?

Old 06-10-2016, 09:34 PM
ERH

1,699 posts, read 2,528,434 times
What did they have a problem with -- the way you submitted your resignation, or the fact that you submitted one in the first place?

It sounds like a good move to leave them behind!

Old 06-11-2016, 06:58 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,096,265 times
OP, if they were that eager to have you leave, be very wary of using them as a reference

Old 06-11-2016, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
OP, if they were that eager to have you leave, be very wary of using them as a reference
I mean, I worked there long enough that I still have to list them as a previous employer. And, typically, HR is limited in what they can convey to an interested employer. So, I'm not overly worried. I made sure specifically that the record would reflect resignation, not termination.

Now, as actual references go, there was a member of management who also left yesterday and with whom I have had excellent rapport (and the only member of management I'd trust). She has welcomed my use of her as a reference in the future.

Old 06-11-2016, 07:43 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,886,038 times
But they're paying you for the two weeks, right?

Last time I resigned from a job I did get tremendous satisfaction telling the supervisor but you did everything correctly.

People give two weeks notice all the time without the company pushing it up two weeks but occasionally, no, they don't want you there if there is an issue.

I'm guessing there's more to this story but it's irrelevant.

Old 06-11-2016, 08:01 AM

In California, since the resignation is effective immediately (even after I had given a 2-week notice), the employer is not mandated to pay the whole two weeks.

As for runswithscissors' guess that there's more to this story, there is. These three posts/references from this thread I created nearly 2 months ago (Giving resignation to HR and not boss: My brief story and why) tell you pretty much the whole story:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/43640009-post1.html
http://www.city-data.com/forum/43658244-post25.html
Quote:
◙ Backtrack to Monday: I've been working on a cool team project for about a month. No negative feedback. I've been productive, a happenin' guy even. Things are looking 110% better, and I'm not even getting any sort of negativity about the quality of my work. My teammates love my contributions in particular. But...the boss calls me into her office and threatens to fire me for lack of initiative and productivity. Go figure.
That was Monday. Thursday, I resigned. Friday, I was out.

Old 06-11-2016, 08:36 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,886,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
In California, since the resignation is effective immediately (even after I had given a 2-week notice), the employer is not mandated to pay the whole two weeks.
Well no, of course not. And even if you gave the two weeks they can fire you sooner in a right to work state, especially.

But that's not really the point. People give two weeks all the time and actually even get "going away parties" thrown for them.

LOL you left out the part about them threatening to fire you before you resigned.

But like I said, it was irrelevant to your OP - you did it responsibly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment