Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2016, 07:34 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,810,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm4 View Post
What kind of computer-related work?

BTW, we're living in interesting times:

_"All You Americans Are Fired"_

"When Nicole Burt applied for work as a stable attendant in Kentucky, she was sure her experience and skills were unimpeachable. As a teenager in Vermont she showed, trained, and groomed horses, and no sooner did she graduate high school than she moved to the Bluegrass State in order to be in what she dubbed “the horse capital of the world.”

"In early 2011, she applied to a dozen or so stables, she said, but none called her back. One of them was Three Chimneys Farm, a stately home for legendary thoroughbreds including the 1977 Triple Crown winner, Seattle Slew.

"Three Chimneys, based in the town of Versailles, had told federal authorities it was “facing a distinct labor crisis and cannot locate or retain American workers” and that “all U.S. workers who express an interest in the employment opportunity will be interviewed for employment.” But when Burt called to check on her application, she was told no jobs were available.

"“Basically we never hire US workers who are applying,” the farm’s director of human resources, LaTerri Williams, told the Department of Labor in a signed statement. “I don’t conduct interviews or take their applications. Basically I just tell them we have no openings.”"

https://www.buzzfeed.com/jessicagarr...cans-are-fired

I recommend following the work that U.S. Senators Jeff Sessions, Chuck Grassley, Richard Durbin, Richard Blumenthal are doing to try to reverse this trend.

Designing preferred but it doesn't really matter as long as I'm working with a computer. When I apply to retail stores, I hope for the cashier position and tell them I'm good with computers. Guess that's not enough. I even applied for Sears (they had cashier position) even though I'm not really fond of that store and like always I'm no good at passing the tests on my own. I don't know about data entry though because I didn't pass the test that I took online for it. It just depends how fast it has to be. Usually you need a fast WPM

I think I would be okay being in tech support if I get a bit of training but it seems you have to pay for training. It would be beneficial for me even because I'm always looking to learn more on computers and I work best with hands on teaching. Anyway the really advanced stuff they tend to keep more of a secret (or else they would be out of business) so I would have to learn some things on the job. I just don't have the money to go back to school. I guess you can try for grants but even then what would I do in the meantime?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2016, 07:37 PM
mm4

5,711 posts, read 3,978,721 times
Have you tried working through temp agencies to log some employment experience on the computer side?

Old 06-12-2016, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Have you tried working through temp agencies to log some employment experience on the computer side?
Yeah I've looked on their websites and they never really have anything. Even they often require documented experience. Also anything that I've seen tends to have you do a lot of talking on the phone. I suppose I should have emphasized that I don't want one that has the primary task as talking on the phone though I know that most any job will require talking on the phone but if it's not a primary job duty I will probably be okay.

Old 06-12-2016, 07:53 PM
mm4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickchick View Post
Yeah I've looked on their websites and they never really have anything. Even they often require documented experience. Also anything that I've seen tends to have you do a lot of talking on the phone. I suppose I should have emphasized that I don't want one that has the primary task as talking on the phone though I know that most any job will require talking on the phone but if it's not a primary job duty I will probably be okay.
For decades the schools have been chasing advances in software, not leading them. Self study as you move through that world is standard, and you learn best practices that way. There are a huge number of resources available to you online to help.

There's no perfection in the job world. Employees do things they don't necessarily want to do as they gradually accrue knowledge and experience, especially during economic hard times. That's why it's called work.

You mentioned design. What kind of design?

Old 06-12-2016, 08:05 PM

Quote:

There's no perfection in the job world. Employees do things they don't necessarily want to do as they gradually accrue knowledge and experience, especially during economic hard times. That's why it's called work.

You mentioned design. What kind of design?

It's not even just that I don't want a job that would have talking on the phone as the primary duty. I'm just terrible at talking on the phone. I barely survive calling employers to check up on my status. Being terrible at talking on the phone is how it made it easy for me to get scammed a few years ago.
So I couldn't be something like a receptionist or customer service phone rep is what I mean but if as a cashier I might have to answer the phone once in a while that would probably be okay.

Anything like flyers brochures banners..perhaps business cards would be fine to start out with. That would be close to the career I went to school for which was designing music videos for musicians.

Old 06-12-2016, 08:12 PM
mm4

Have you tried print shops? Or office supply stores?

Old 06-12-2016, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Have you tried print shops? Or office supply stores?

Yeah I tried to apply for Staples when they were hiring for copy and printing. I didn't get anywhere.

I also applied to Office Depot. I got an interview but as always no offer. He said his concern was that I stuttered and he'd have to put me as a cashier. I said that's fine (which was odd because I thought I already told him I was good with computers?) But when he said that I felt the need to disclose after because I didn't want that hurting my chances. He SEEMED understanding when I said something about it. I am damned if I do damned if I don't. If an interviewer notices my "quirks" I will look incompetent but I know if I disclose, they can discriminate and I would never even know for sure because they will deny it since it's illegal.
I don't even think I "stuttered" but I do know I have speech issues from time to time. They are more likely to come out if I am nervous.

I never see any small print shops hiring. I tried Fedex when they were hiring around the holidays but I got rejected immediately after the application.

No one wants me. I even try for jobs I have only a small degree of passion for. For instance I tried the movie theater since I like movies.

I am currently pursuing Bed Bath and Beyond. I wish I had tried it the last time they were hiring but I just took the application home and never filled it out. I'm still kicking myself for that but they are hiring again. I just don't know what to say to get them to get me an interview (if they don't) but I know that it's a little related for me because it's a home design store and I want to some day own a house of my own. I just hope they don't ask me if I'm good at organizing YIKES but I do like to try to be organized so hopefully that counts for something. I got a bathroom sink organizer not too long from them.

Last edited by Nickchick; 06-12-2016 at 08:51 PM..

Old 06-12-2016, 08:43 PM

1,430 posts, read 1,087,399 times
Only about 10 percent of college degrees are worthwhile today.
Many graduates are taking jobs that are unrelated to their degrees.
This is a problem but at least some are working.

The bigger problem is that good jobs are dissappearing.
Years ago, good jobs could be had by all.
MANUFACTURING has been hurt by Clintons trade policies and nobody
seems to care, besides Trump.

Old 06-12-2016, 09:25 PM
mm4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickchick View Post
Yeah I tried to apply for Staples when they were hiring for copy and printing. I didn't get anywhere.

I also applied to Office Depot. I got an interview but as always no offer. He said his concern was that I stuttered and he'd have to put me as a cashier. I said that's fine (which was odd because I thought I already told him I was good with computers?) But when he said that I felt the need to disclose after because I didn't want that hurting my chances. He SEEMED understanding when I said something about it. I am damned if I do damned if I don't. If an interviewer notices my "quirks" I will look incompetent but I know if I disclose, they can discriminate and I would never even know for sure because they will deny it since it's illegal.
I don't even think I "stuttered" but I do know I have speech issues from time to time. They are more likely to come out if I am nervous.

I never see any small print shops hiring. I tried Fedex when they were hiring around the holidays but I got rejected immediately after the application.

No one wants me. I even try for jobs I have only a small degree of passion for. For instance I tried the movie theater since I like movies.

I am currently pursuing Bed Bath and Beyond. I wish I had tried it the last time they were hiring but I just took the application home and never filled it out. I'm still kicking myself for that but they are hiring again. I just don't know what to say to get them to get me an interview (if they don't) but I know that it's a little related for me because it's a home design store and I want to some day own a house of my own. I just hope they don't ask me if I'm good at organizing YIKES but I do like to try to be organized so hopefully that counts for something. I got a bathroom sink organizer not too long from them.
One of the benefits of temp work is you could apply for and be called to work on general assignments/clerical (that could also go longer term), affording you a crucial foot in the door that you can put down as job experience, including with computers. You might also be able to use your writing/editing skills.

Old 06-12-2016, 09:34 PM

1,098 posts, read 1,866,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
The people who have the most trouble are those who probably studied something like art history rather than computer science, engineering, or accounting. Even worse if that person did not network or do any internships in college to get experience. It also helps to either live in or close to a major metro area. I also find people aren't willing to work with their hands anymore learning hard skills. Everyone wants just so sit at a desk all day pushing papers for 100k+.
Networking is a pain when you did your schooling in a rural area that doesn't allow "outsiders" to build shop or search for candidates. Also, Arizona gets a bad rap for potential employees... on top of a lousy payscale.

I've worked with my hands for at least a solid decade... that got me nowhere. People don't want to pay someone who worked on air conditioning or plumbing top dollar, nah, only contractors who sit around and schedule and talk to the important people all day get to make bank. The people doing the actual work are the ones that get shafted.

Also, young people are literally pressured into getting into glamour desk jobs because our culture has ingrained us to respect someone who makes a high salary rather than someone who has to clean out the city sewers.

I'll admit, I made a mistake learning CGI as a major. Tried to make up for it following more traditional methods but at the end of the day, it's not that I lack the willingness to work it's that I've never had the right opportunities... which let's be honest, is why those people are in well paying fields to begin with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment