Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2016, 12:44 PM

4,344 posts, read 4,717,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
I never modified my looks interests, or thought process. I just did everything I could to excel at my position and prove I was ready for more complex work and roles. You "mold" yourself by being an excellent employee and going above and beyond.

This.

But most people won't work hard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2016, 12:56 PM

5,462 posts, read 3,032,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryinbaby View Post
What if you're a broke, chain smoking, former musician and you are completely oblivious to working a desk job in a professional setting. I need to make some money and it looks like office jobs are the only way to go.
First get an office job and start from there.

Also get rid of the attitude that work is done only for money.. and those who go to work do it for money..

And if you have to be successful in corporate, you have to know how to blow the trumphet ( about yourselfves ) - meaning being visible and win over people.

Old 06-14-2016, 02:41 PM

3,148 posts, read 2,729,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Please explain why the other blue collar jobs were not a "good fit"?
Probably because it actually involves doing real work.

Old 06-14-2016, 02:44 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,734,689 times
Your post makes no sense. Be specific instead of talking in riddles. Every company is different and defines being 'corporate' as different. You're a musician, imagine someone saying "I want to be good at music" you'd have a zillion questions to help them.

Old 06-14-2016, 04:12 PM

1,365 posts, read 1,883,335 times
Oy ve.

First start by not being so g-d bitter. There is no "indoctrination process." Just have a decent attitude and be willing to learn.

As far as how to "modify your looks, interests, and thought process":

Looks: If you have a particular employer in mind, pay a visit to their offices. How are employees dressed? Is it a tech startup where founders are wearing jeans and graphic tees? Are they dressed in very casual business attire like khakis and polo shirts? Button down shirts with slacks? Full suits and ties? Then model your method of dress on what you see, but up at perhaps half a notch. If you see khakis and polos, maybe up it to slacks and a polo. If they are in button downs and slacks, you might want to add a blazer. (This doesn't apply if they are in full suits and ties--that is the max of business formal.) Pay attention to hair styles and accessories as well.

Interests: No need to modify your interests...in fact, doing so would be sort of weird/creepy. Just realize what is appropriate to discuss and what isn't. Maybe you love hosting orgies or picketing with those "God Hates F*gs" marches--that's up to you, but just know that it isn't a good idea to get into all that in the office. It is generally best to avoid any sexually explicit or highly controversial topics of conversation.

Thought process: The most important thing to remember is that ultimately your success or failure is up to you. If you aren't getting the necessary support from management to do your best job, it is up to you to make them aware of what you need. If you want a raise, it is up to you to ask for it. If you want a promotion, you need to find out what you have to do be eligible for advancement and then advocate for yourself. No one will hand you a successful career on a silver platter, and no matter how valued/respected/beloved you are no one will ever be a stronger advocate for you than YOU. Ultimately, it's all up to you. Never allow yourself to get bitter. If you are honestly doing your part and not getting what you need out of it, then it's time to move to a new employer.

Old 06-14-2016, 05:19 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,757,343 times
Quote:
What if you're a broke, chain smoking, former musician and you are completely oblivious to working a desk job in a professional setting. I need to make some money and it looks like office jobs are the only way to go.
Quote:
Don't sell your soul to the devil just to be "Corporate". Its just not worth it. If you have a conscience, its impossible to feel good about yourself, playing politics, backstabbing, taking credit for other people's hard work every day.

Most of the people who see success in the corporate world are two faced, lying, sociopaths with no conscience at all. Not a good way to live life.
I spent years in the corporate world, working up to division sales manager for half the country, so I have been there and done what it takes to succeed. I have hired a lot of people over the years, into the corporate world, so I know a little of what I am talking about.

Those to posters that made the quotes above, know absolutely nothing about what it takes to be successful in the corporate world.

To move up and be a success in the corporate world, you have to be very good at what you do. A good personality that allows you to fit in with the other people you will have a business contact with. A good problem solver. And know your job better than the competition.

And last, you have to give the appearance and actions of being the best qualified for the position. Outgoing, friendly, and overall look and act the person you are portraying to be for the job. A big secret is to look and dress at least 2 steps up the ladder of the position you are seeking.

Old 06-14-2016, 06:15 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,983,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
I spent years in the corporate world, working up to division sales manager for half the country, so I have been there and done what it takes to succeed. I have hired a lot of people over the years, into the corporate world, so I know a little of what I am talking about.

Those to posters that made the quotes above, know absolutely nothing about what it takes to be successful in the corporate world.

To move up and be a success in the corporate world, you have to be very good at what you do. A good personality that allows you to fit in with the other people you will have a business contact with. A good problem solver. And know your job better than the competition.

And last, you have to give the appearance and actions of being the best qualified for the position. Outgoing, friendly, and overall look and act the person you are portraying to be for the job. A big secret is to look and dress at least 2 steps up the ladder of the position you are seeking.

I would be willing bet that those "who were very good at what they did" were laid off/fired/let go a much higher rate than those less competent, and stayed on all because of nepotism/cronyism etc.

There have been hosts let go in corporate america who were much more competent and valuable to the company than many of the toadies that were kept on just because of connections.

You wouldn't have such a high percentage of worker disengagement in corporate america if your theory of being such a great employee was true.

Corporate America is filled with useless dead weight, unqualified goofs running departments who have no absolutely NO CLUE what the hell they are doing, yet stay on year after year while the companies fall into the pit of despair through bad management/leadership

You're theory of meritocracy in the corporate workplace today does NOT exist. If it did, once against worker disengagement/dissatisfaction and turnover rates wouldn't be astronomical. From personal experience as well, being very good at what you do can rub some of the higher ups the wrong way as they may become fearful of their jobs as you may become a threat. (It happens alot)

Meritocracy and bringing value to the workplace may have existed at one time but not anymore.

Also being great at your job can also keep you pigeonholed into that job FOREVER as management doesn't want to lose your talents as they are too lazy to get anyone else trained.

From personal experience, Ive seen if you're very valuable at something you could be spinning your tires in the same position for years.

Last edited by DorianRo; 06-14-2016 at 06:28 PM..

Old 06-14-2016, 07:15 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,886,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryinbaby View Post
I'm currently desperate for money and would gladly be an office gopher to earn my keep. Most other food service and blue collars avenues I've followed are not a good fit. How do I become corporate so I can make this work?
Can you talk on the phone?

Look up Verizon or ATT Sales/Service Representative if you have any skills on the computer and can talk to people on the phone and sell. In the business office not cell phone store. By skills I mean being able to talk and do data entry into systems at the same time. When you place an order for stuff you have to do it while talking with the people not after they hang up. This requires a bit of the gift of gab but they teach you.

There is a heavy screening online to get through to being offered a position. Can you pass some basic tests?

There's a career path there in every type of Corporate job you could imagine. But you have to produce and work your way up. OBVS it helps to like people. Make a game out of the cray you get on the phone.

Meanwhile, the money is good but the job is not easy. But if you're in CA it'll be much easier than in the East, trust me. Full benefits including college aid.

You MUST be able to get people to buy the services on the phone and they teach you how. Otherwise you won't succeed. There is big bonus money, too,over and above the salary.

You cannot be tardy or absent.

You CANNOT have an attitude about "needing" to be on your cellphone or internet at your desk. ONLY ON BREAK. PERIOD. Don't try and sneak it.

You should not complain and give attitude.

You should mind your own business and not get involved in office BS or buddy up with malcontents.

You should be enthusiastic and want to learn.

You should offer to take on more responsibility.

You should come to work looking clean and neat not like you rolled out of bed or in flip flops LOL.

You should remember everything you do will contribute to your success or failure.

You should welcome feedback and even ASK for it. So there are no surprises when you get evaluated. DO NOT ARGUE over it. Show a positive attitude and ask for help if you need it.

You should remember that your job is to make MANAGEMENT happy. And do things the way you're taught even if you think the training or procedures are "dumb". They've been around 100 years and know what they're doing.

You should be just cordial not overly friendly and not overly "introverted". I noticed this is popular now. But you won't have time to talk because you're on the phone all day.

These items are not just at the phone company and only a partial list.

Even if the phone company is not a good fit, try for any decent company entry level job, like you say...gopher - mail room, data entry...

My kid begged for an unpaid internship in college and they threw him in the mailroom. The small company was his dream job. He QUICKLY became a "favorite" and advanced alot until they finally helped him start his own company .

Old 06-14-2016, 10:34 PM

12,836 posts, read 9,029,433 times
I was confused for a second. Then I saw the OP. It isn't looking for advice, only to stir the pot.

Old 06-14-2016, 11:44 PM

427 posts, read 499,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
I was confused for a second. Then I saw the OP. It isn't looking for advice, only to stir the pot.
Because my own dreams are failing, I am trying to understand how I can change who I am because who I am is bound to fail in the office -- the avenue I see as the most lucrative of my remaining options. My choice of language in the thread title and initial posts was more than a little tongue in cheek, but the intent is serious.

I also want to make my mama proud.

Last edited by Cryinbaby; 06-15-2016 at 12:03 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment