Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2016, 11:16 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,476,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Hospitality View Post
Those are three higher income jobs. You wouldn't want to make less than $100k in those fields.
This would be my impressions too. Software can be crazy... staring at a monitor for extended amounts of time, attempting to make heads and tails of really poorly written code (which at times, is just easier to rewrite completely from scratch).

Pharmacy school is tough, and the acceptance rates like with certain medical fields isn't high. Or at least the good ones I'd presume. All I can recall is this involves organic chemistry, which I've heard from more than one student.... sucks.

Some finance jobs have folks work crazy 60 to 80 hour weeks. You have no social life, and it can take a toll on you. Older folk can handle it, and they wouldn't want to anyways with a family at home. Those who do such jobs are single without kids, and put up with it for a few years to get a jump start on their savings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poor Chemist View Post
I agree. In Silicon Valley, California area and New York City you will see some early 20s people making that but that salary is like $50-60k in normal cost of living areas.

All of the people I went to high school with are making in the $50-70k range except one guy who is 25 years old and is a pharmacist. He makes $120k. OP, should of went to pharmacy school if you wanted 6 figures in your early 20s. I regret not going to pharmacy school myself when I found out how the job market is for chemists now.
Yeah, one C-D poster said a general rule of thumb is whatever you make in NYC is like having $30K less in your typical part of the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2016, 06:02 AM

2,262 posts, read 2,400,335 times
In places like DC, San Francisco and NYC it's common. Not really sure about Atlanta especially considering how cheap the CoL is but it's a major market so I'm sure there are recently graduated professionals make good money.

Old 06-15-2016, 06:15 AM

6,459 posts, read 7,796,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stellastar2345 View Post
they are my friends/people I know socially. I'm also in my early 20s.
Still kind of hard to believe that you guys share income information with each other.I was in my early 20's once. I don't remember ever telling people how much I make and I never asked how much others make. I have no reason to not believe you though.

Titles are BS by the way. The finance industry hands out VP titles like pancakes. Many companies inflate titles - It's a gimmick, a rouse.

All that said, from a WTF perspective...if you do have all these big shot friends you should tap them. That's just common sense.

Old 06-15-2016, 07:18 AM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,332,943 times
Quote:
have college degree (or graduate degree) and work a white collar job. I thought that was the standard definition of professional?
So an clerical employee with an English degree is professional by your definition? Wrong. As I said, it's become nearly cliche' to call jobs "professional" these days.

Old 06-15-2016, 07:27 AM

6,459 posts, read 7,796,492 times
A professional is someone who requires ongoing training and education within their career to keep up their licensure or certification, etc.

Old 06-15-2016, 07:35 AM

18,492 posts, read 9,161,666 times
College is the new high school.

College is the new minimum requirement for entry to the workforce. There's absolutely no guarantee of a decent paying job with a college degree. There are plenty of people with college degrees working at minimum wage jobs in fast food and retail.

Old 06-15-2016, 07:57 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,153,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I don't know many in their 20s with six figure incomes. They're out there, but will probably be rare outside of major markets.
Among my friend's children and my adult children & their friends (dozens and dozens of 20 something college grads) I do not believe that there is even one earning that much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
That does not mean it is common, it simply means that you are running into people who are doing well. We can also all name multiple twenty-something college grads working in retail for less than $10.00 an hour.
But, I can name many, many college grads in their 20s earning $12 an hour or less per hour, even for jobs that require a college degree.

Old 06-15-2016, 08:02 AM

2,262 posts, read 2,400,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
College is the new high school.

College is the new minimum requirement for entry to the workforce. There's absolutely no guarantee of a decent paying job with a college degree. There are plenty of people with college degrees working at minimum wage jobs in fast food and retail.
There's no guarantee of anything but the likelihood of you getting a high paying job with benefits increase exponentially when one obtains a college degree.

However, I do agree that if you don't have any post high school education you're essentially locking yourself out of the job market for lucrative opportunities.

Old 06-15-2016, 08:18 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,095,018 times
Quote:
Lately I've been meeting a lot of early 20s professionals making 100k+ in a relatively low cost of living city (Atlanta). I didn't realize how common it is now.
Where I work, the average salary for people 25 and younger is roughly 40-45K. Maybe even a bit lower, but we employ engineers, so most of them make 50K or over.

High cost of living area. NYC metro.

Old 06-15-2016, 08:26 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,095,018 times
OP, I know specialty doctors and their salaries are 300K+ and I know them personally and I can tell you their salaries are VERY real.

So, if you're concerned about winning the rat race and making more than everybody else, then go that route.

That, or run a ponzi scheme...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment