Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2016, 06:53 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,923,893 times

Advertisements

Just don't let the miserable co workers (who try to make a low wage retail job their main job) get to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2016, 07:54 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,134,528 times
There is a difference between doing it for pocket change vs full time. This company is not known for paying or treating its workers well, Its surely easier if you have another source of income. if you do that's great though.

Unless the posts are from Walmart plants promoting company propaganda through social engineering.....

Old 06-15-2016, 09:41 AM

18,492 posts, read 9,161,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
There is a difference between doing it for pocket change vs full time. This company is not known for paying or treating its workers well, Its surely easier if you have another source of income. if you do that's great though.

Unless the posts are from Walmart plants promoting company propaganda through social engineering.....
That.

Old 06-15-2016, 09:55 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,907,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post

I think, at one time, the part I highlighted could very well have been true. Not so much anymore though. I've been at my store for six years now and I honestly have very few complaints and none of them anything major. They have been VERY good to me, the bennies are VERY good and, while I'd LOVE to make more money, I don't feel terribly under paid. It's the one company I've ever worked for that actually gives raises every year and pays nice bonuses every three months.

They have made some changes this year such as I no longer get $1 hour extra to work Sundays, we don't get paid time and a half for holidays anymore BUT I did get a one time payment of $150 to cover those missed Sundays AND my PTO gets added to for every holiday I work...8 hours more PTO. At this point I have well over 125 hours of PTO built up and come Feb., if I have over 80 hours I will get the extra added to my paycheck. We also get one hour of PTO added for each day worked. I really need to start taking some of those hours and my vacation is over due! I have over 60 hours of vacation built up. Only problem these days is that I'm not the only one with all those hours to use and it's hard to fit into everyone else's PTO schedule! Too many wanting the same time off.

Oh, and I'm not a "Walmart plant". lol I just happen to really like my job and the company I work for. Most of my co workers do as well. We have people who've been with this store from 10 to 25 years. And one for 27! They are well set up for retirement, that's for sure.

Old 06-15-2016, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas26tlr View Post
I am a medical transcriptionist/executive assistant by trade (from age 17 to age 40), become a first-time mom at 41, then became a stay-at-home mom for three years. Working at Walmart in retail has always intrigued me since I have been 15. Now I am sticking my toes back in the work force -- at Walmart. I am only doing this for some extra pocket change and the interaction with other people. Some people may say that I am squandering a clerical career for retail, but I am DONE with clerical work and ready to get into another line of work. (I once worked at a regional cafeteria back in the late 1980s and loved it so much that I almost considered training to be a manager there, but didn't want to squander my typing talent at the time). I like to type (I practice all the time and I type over 120 words per minute), but clerical work is no longer for me.

Working for Walmart never "intrigued" me! lol In fact, I swore I would NEVER work for Walmart, no matter what. What an idiot. lol Actually, I was guilty of the same thing a lot of people are. I listened to, and believed, all the negatives I heard about the company without considering that maybe it WAS all true...at one time. Things change over time, hopefully for the better, and I think Walmart has done that. I've held many jobs over my nearly 60 years of employment and have to say that this one IS the best. And I really enjoyed a lot of my different jobs.

I did bookkeeping and accounting for five years and while I love playing with numbers and doing the "clerical work" it was mostly boring. I guess I am a people person and working with the public is what I've always done best so why not? I also type around 120 per min. and am pretty fast on a ten key. lol

Old 06-15-2016, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Gotta dig that blue smock with the sunburst.

But...have you seen the new BRIGHT yellow one that the self checkout cashiers ad door greeters have to wear???? I guess they thought we weren't visible enough in our navy blue. lol Now, that might not be TOO bad if they could come up with one that would fit me! I guess they think that all of us are LG/XLG or, heaven forbid, XXLG. I need a very small! So now I have to look like a billowing cloud of sunshine! I did find ONE small but I think someone else squirreled it away somewhere.

That "sunburst" is actually called the Spark. For a while we were joking about having a 'target' on our backs but decided saying "Target" so much wasn't quite right. lol

Old 06-15-2016, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
Just don't let the miserable co workers (who try to make a low wage retail job their main job) get to you.

I can't think of any "miserable co workers" but I do have a couple that complain...ALL THE TIME. Mostly about piddly stuff that doesn't even really matter. I just hit them with a positive for every negative they throw at me and, eventually, they stop complaining to ME. And then there's one who always always looks so miserable, complains about being "sick" more often than not and just looks for sympathy all the time. She's always been this way and is pregnant now so you can just imagine! lol

Old 06-15-2016, 10:27 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,931,928 times
Only on City-Data could a made up story like the o.p. get so much positive review. There are definitely worse places to work than Walmart but there are definitely better places that an individual that is qualified to be a medical transcriptionist could make some part time cash. Social interaction? Trader Joe's attracts an upwardly mobile yet down to earth clientele. And they insist on paying better than the prevailing minimum wage in the cities in which they open stores. Win/win.

Old 06-15-2016, 11:06 AM

2,099 posts, read 2,276,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Only on City-Data could a made up story like the o.p. get so much positive review. There are definitely worse places to work than Walmart but there are definitely better places that an individual that is qualified to be a medical transcriptionist could make some part time cash. Social interaction? Trader Joe's attracts an upwardly mobile yet down to earth clientele. And they insist on paying better than the prevailing minimum wage in the cities in which they open stores. Win/win.
right?

**** Walmart. Glad you are happy there OP (or plant) but I still hate Walmart. Costco all the way. I wish there were more Costcos.

Old 06-15-2016, 11:40 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,787,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas26tlr View Post
I am a medical transcriptionist/executive assistant by trade (from age 17 to age 40), become a first-time mom at 41, then became a stay-at-home mom for three years. Working at Walmart in retail has always intrigued me since I have been 15. Now I am sticking my toes back in the work force -- at Walmart. I am only doing this for some extra pocket change and the interaction with other people. Some people may say that I am squandering a clerical career for retail, but I am DONE with clerical work and ready to get into another line of work. (I once worked at a regional cafeteria back in the late 1980s and loved it so much that I almost considered training to be a manager there, but didn't want to squander my typing talent at the time). I like to type (I practice all the time and I type over 120 words per minute), but clerical work is no longer for me.
I don't and will NEVER dis you or the company. It's the customers who made my job hell and the demands of the management...Other than that, it wasn't that bad, but I quit after 7 months and never killed a customer....Thing is, they may want to make you a manager and that's great, always look for a better position...Good luck and hope it works out for you!

When I get my hip done (If I get the chance) I may very well consider going back BUT only as a freight loader...Less chance of dealing with the public.....Great way to lose weight....Move, move, move....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment