Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2016, 07:23 AM

1,719 posts, read 2,729,012 times

Advertisements

them all. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2016, 07:45 AM

151 posts, read 189,071 times
I used to work as a waitress so I could go on for hours about that... Instead I'll tell you about when I worked as a photographer at a tourist destination. Most annoying customers? Those who don't speak english and get angry with you when they find out you don't speak THEIR language.

Old 06-17-2016, 08:22 AM

3,444 posts, read 2,799,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
The people I saw when I was a customer service representative for Blue Cross Blue Shield. Someone was going to pay for the problem with their claim. I hadn't coded, filed or processed it, but it was my fault. My nickname was You People.
I tell my husband all the time to stop saying You People when he calls with an issue. He is the epitome of the squeaky wheel, it makes me crazy!

The annoying customers I have to deal with are the ones who call and lie when whoever in the company answers the phone and say that they have called several times and left messages and I never call them back. I don't get in trouble for it because the people I work with know that I always return my calls. The customers do call several times when I am on the phone (I can see the same number popping up on my caller ID), but they never leave a message and I return call in the order that the messages are received. I spend almost all day on the phone, so I am not going to chase down someone who can't be bothered to leave a message. It's like cutting in line when they think they can bypass leaving one.

The other ones are the ones who call repeatedly asking for a free sample to be sent out. We actually have one person who has done this for the full 8 years I have worked there. He thinks he's sneaky because he will call and leave a message asking for a free sample, promising that he will be buying our product, but just wants to try it first. He leaves a name and address. Thing is, I have a record of who has gotten free samples in the past. He never leaves a phone number for me to call and explain that we will not be sending out yet another free sample. Then he calls back, uses a different name and the same address, still no phone number. Then he tends to get abusive, calling everyone in the company and stating that we obviously don't want his business and asking them to send a free sample (but all free samples have to go through me). When that doesn't work, he calls again, giving yet another name and the same address. He presents himself as a college professor. He's not the brightest one or else he would use a different address occasionally.

Old 06-17-2016, 08:50 AM

258 posts, read 298,643 times
I worked in bar/restaurant for almost 20 years. I had a trove of annoying customers. The most egregious incidents for me usually involved bodily fluids of some sort. Some that made an impression on me:

My second day as manager at a new location of my company and a hostess comes up to me freaking out that there is a mess in the women’s room.I was expecting someone barfed, or maybe a clogged toilet (which happens frequently). About 20 feet before I got to the door, I saw little piles/streaksof poo on the floor like a trail leading me to the restroom. When I opened the door, there was crap EVERYWHERE. And it was smeared all over the floor and then one stall’s seat and walls. Like, a LOT of poo. An almost humanly impossible amount of poo. The hose wouldn’t reach all the way back to the restroom, so I had to fill numerous buckets of water and ferry them back to splash on the walls, seat, etc. The best guess I had was that someone with an ostomy/colostomy bag had some sort of accident and the bag exploded. And because it was in the handicap stall, I surmised that they must have been in a wheelchair, as well. It looked like someone had thrashed around in it and then wheeled out of there,tracking it into the dining room. I closed down the women’s room and had another host direct women to either the men’s room or the employee restroom in the back. While it was unfortunate that I had to clean something like that as a surprise, I understand how whoever made the mess was likely pretty embarrassed and didn’t want to tell the staff what they had done. They were not the annoying customer, though----the most annoying part was another customer who kept banging on the bathroom door as I was trying to clean the mess. She kept screaming “I need to use the bathroom…. I’m a LADY!.... I’m not using the men’s room!” I flung the door open and told her she was more than welcome to use the women’s room--- provided she felt comfortable sitting in someone else’s excrement. She saw and smelled the state of the bathroom and decided she would just hold it

I was bartending in a nightclub one night and this weirdo came up to my bar to buy a pitcher of beer. I was pouring it and he proceeded to get a $20 out of his pocket. When I came to hand him the beer and collect payment, he held the bill up to his tongue and proceeded to lick it front and back. I think he thought he was being seductive or something. I poured the beer out and told him he was cut off.

I also had a family of four come in around the time that the whole Swine Flu epidemic was rolling through my state. The daughter was sweating profusely and laying her head on the table. The Mom took her to the restroom several times. We were not that busy because it was later in the evening, so I noticed their frequent trips. I went in there behind them once and the mom had her girl puking in the trash can, of all places. There were three clean, unoccupied toilets within inches. I had another customer (who happened to be sitting within earshot of their table) come up to me and say that before I got in there, the mother had told her that the daughter had Swine Flu. That customer asked for me to move them to another table on the other side of the restaurant, which I did. At this point, the server didn’t want to wait on them because she had kids of her own and didn’t want to risk getting them sick, so I had to wait on them. Their food had not come out. I thought I would be doing them a favor by offering to box their food up. It was clear (at least to everyone but them) that they needed to get home and tend to the daughter.The Mom was incensed that I even suggested it. She was mad that we moved theother table. She started screaming at me that they had a right to eat there just like everyone else. And then, while she was berating me, the daughter puked ON THE TABLE. They got up and left. We threw the table in the dumpster. The next day, the restaurant got a complaint emailed to them on me. In almost 20 years, it was the only complaint on me I ever received.

I had a customer who had started becoming a bar regular. None of the bartenders liked him--- mainly because he refused to tip and his girlfriend was nasty with us. He would also come up several times in the night and reach into the garnish tray to pick out olives, cherries, etc. We asked him several times to not touch the tray. About two weeks of this nonsense and I put a sign up that said “Thegarnish tray is not a buffet—EAT AT HOME!” The next time he reached his grubby paw in there, I hosed him down in front of his woman with the soda gun.

Those are just restaurant/bar stories. I worked in a bank for several years--- it’s a whole nother level of aggravating customers.

I’m now in a career that never deals directly with people.It’s quite nice.

Old 06-17-2016, 08:58 AM

3,637 posts, read 1,691,699 times
I've learned over the years to let stuff roll off me when it comes to customers, but the ones I have issues with are the ones who have been drinking when the come in to shop. You can't reason with a drunk and you never know when they are going to go off on you.

We have one customer in particular who stinks and is blasted when he comes in. He is obnoxious and, as much as I try to be professional, I recently lost it and went off on him .I told him he was a damned drunk and he treated everyone of us like crap. He hasn't been back since.

Old 06-17-2016, 09:41 AM

511 posts, read 836,071 times
It's been almost 20 years and I still remember his name. I spent close to a half hour trying to give him a url to put in his browser window. Not a long url. A simple url. Truly. He never successfully entered it. I was having to tell him where the forward slash was, what a colon was. (It was https with no redirect from http so required it to be explicitly written. Maybe he had no email? I don't recall why I could not send the url to him.)

Old 06-17-2016, 09:51 AM

2,936 posts, read 2,327,447 times
For a brief period of time I worked at the seafood counter of a local market.

One day a woman brought in the empty shells of like 6 lobsters complaining that they didn't taste good and weren't fresh. The management refunded her money.

Had a customer call one evening saying she went to cook her fresh mussels and they were rotten. Asked when she bought them, she said Sunday, it was Wednesday, management also refunded her money.

And then the weirdest thing ever, you have to pull all seafood out of the case at night, the glass covers lift up. So I'm closing, I've got the glass up and I had to go behind the counter for a minute.

I turn around and some woman is rearranging the clams! Which led to one of the widest things I've ever said. Ma'am can you please stop touching the clams. She agrees I turn away and 30 seconds later she's back arranging the claims.

Old 06-17-2016, 11:01 AM

5,273 posts, read 14,514,113 times
Long time claims adjuster (although, specializing in medical malpractice the last 10- years).

I don't mind the pre concieved types who want to tell me all about how all I want to do is screw them over (although the more they ***** the more I am inclined to do so) or those who are always seeking to profit from a claim (about 90%).

It's the ones who intentionally buy too little insurance or make claims they know can't possibly be covered that can get under my skin a bit. I had a retired guy with a lot of assets who had the minimum BI (bodily injury) limits to save money. He pulled his truck/camping trailer away from a stop sign and killed a motorcyclist and severely injured his wife. He called me from the scene of the accident demanding we pay whatever we have to do protect his few millions in assets. No care or concern for the people he just mowed down, just "I have so little insurance, but pay anyway". It was my joy to tell him all he bought was $10,000 of coverage and the rest was on him.

Old 06-17-2016, 11:07 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,842,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeHa View Post
One day a woman brought in the empty shells of like 6 lobsters complaining that they didn't taste good and weren't fresh. The management refunded her money.
Weren't fresh? Lobsters are sold live!

Last edited by timberline742; 06-17-2016 at 11:37 AM..

Old 06-17-2016, 11:19 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,755,778 times
Had one couple and the guy was really nice, his wife was another story. More than once I'd be explaining that "No, I can't reduce the price, nor short weigh the product so you get a REAL GOOD DEAL. You're not that special to us"

Now, at that time, we had a REAL good deal. Roast Beef was going for $10 a lb. BUT if you order it with Cheese, you get it for $9 a lb and the cheese is FREE. There was 2 BIG signs trumpeting this.

She then started ordering the roast beef and cheese, BUT she neglected to say "I want this deal" so I got it all together and priced it (Normal price, $10 a lb for Beef and Cheese was $7 a lb) then she went, paid for it and I smiled the whole time.

This went on for 2 months and then she finally SAW the sign and basically had kittens, puppies and a spaz all rolled into one when she realized that she could have saved quite a bit of money. She screamed at me asking why I didn't tell her. I said "The signs have been there all along, I can't force you to read them"

Oh was she upset....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment