Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2016, 08:37 PM

199 posts, read 176,546 times

Advertisements

Ex: If a middle aged male manager only hires white young 20-something females with skimpy resumes/experience, would anyone question those choices? I know somebody like this who hired such a girl. When a friend told me that this young girl with less than 1 year on the job applied for a manager position within the company under him, I said that she'd get the job because she was "his type." Sure enough, she did!! From the HR's perspective, does it raise suspicion that they might be looking at superficial things instead of talent?

Last edited by wheatpenny; 06-17-2016 at 09:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2016, 09:07 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,186,228 times
Any pattern of apparent discrimination, preverential treatment or other unfairness in hiring would be investigated if brought to the attention of an HR manager. One instance like this is not a pattern, but if it were researched, the hiring manager would have to demonstrate that the person was the best qualified, or that appearance was important to the position. In the case of a small company ( less than 15 employees ) there are no such EEOC regulations, so the hiring manager could hire all good looking young women and no one could do anything about it.

Old 06-18-2016, 08:17 AM

23,535 posts, read 24,029,400 times
It would also depend on the HR organization, in the company and the politics, etc. I've worked in companies where HR was weak and reported in to management (not an independent entity). While, I've worked in places where HR could enforce rules independently and had authority in the company.

Old 06-18-2016, 11:48 AM

3,573 posts, read 2,882,281 times
Totally depends on the role being filled. If the position is Accounting Manager that would be a huge red flag and as I function in my current role that hiring manager would have never received her resume.

If the position is to manager the cell phone accessory kiosk, then no flags.

Old 06-18-2016, 12:51 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,987,383 times
If you look around companies today, you see more idiots in positions of power who have NO BUSINESS in that position making decisions than you see people who are qualified for those positions so my guess would be... No?

I don't even know what HR's purpose is anymore. To protect the companies from a lawsuit I guess. They are a completely useless entity today

Old 06-18-2016, 01:26 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,542,084 times
It isn't HR's job to do that though...

HR isn't the legal department, nor is it the department that selects who is hired, they are there for the paper work to make sure everything is in order

Old 06-19-2016, 03:09 AM

3,657 posts, read 3,288,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheatpenny View Post
Ex: If a middle aged male manager only hires white young 20-something females with skimpy resumes/experience, would anyone question those choices? I know somebody like this who hired such a girl. When a friend told me that this young girl with less than 1 year on the job applied for a manager position within the company under him, I said that she'd get the job because she was "his type." Sure enough, she did!! From the HR's perspective, does it raise suspicion that they might be looking at superficial things instead of talent?
HR has nothing to do with it. HR is not in charge of hiring at the company, the management of the company is. HR is only interested to the point if the company is doing something it could get into trouble for such as a lawsuit, otherwise they stay out of it.

But it is the manager that will suffer is an employee doesn't work out. Jobs aren't a gift. They hire people because they have a task to fill. If the task isn't being done, it makes the manager's working life worse. If the manager thinks he can hire someone with less experience that can do the job, then the company is most likely paying that person less money too.

Old 06-19-2016, 10:47 AM

546 posts, read 764,352 times
Nepotism and favoritism isn't illegal. so its their business
Why isn't nepotism illegal?have you expierenced it?

Old 06-19-2016, 04:27 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,465,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
If you look around companies today, you see more idiots in positions of power who have NO BUSINESS in that position making decisions than you see people who are qualified for those positions so my guess would be... No?

I don't even know what HR's purpose is anymore. To protect the companies from a lawsuit I guess. They are a completely useless entity today
Agreed. Sometimes they don't even do much to protect the company from lawsuits. Depends on the company culture. HR's job SHOULD be to monitor these things on the front end to prevent a huge mess on the back end. It is called "Human Resources" after all. Ensure your management resources are not doing things to subordinate resources that will land you in hot water.

Old 06-22-2016, 12:30 PM

455 posts, read 388,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheatpenny View Post
Not all companies are the same so saying "HR" is using the term too loosely. In my company of 50k plus employee's and being a HR Professional (not an administrative worker) this would be cause for great alarm if I knew about it and it raised suspicions other than your "superficial" assessment that he only hires white 20 something females.

What you don't know is who all applied, what sources are being used to recruit, what were the qualifications of all the applicants, what are the qualifications of the job, how did the interviews go, did some candidates interview better than others, answer questions appropriately, were references good/bad? Were some of the candidate referred by current good employee's or other colleagues? Are their complaints about the manager from other's, what is the turnover, stay/exit interviews?? Where are the facts?

I think we could argue that it's suspicious that IT departments are generally all male too and use the same logic and questions as above to answer this mystery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment