Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2016, 10:11 AM

4,286 posts, read 10,765,133 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augustus27 View Post
Moving in theory is the most logical choice for the job with the longer commute, except my girlfriend and I are trying to find somewhere halfway in between our jobs. With the longer commute, even being halfway would lead to a bad commute, while the lower paying job's commute would be a million times smoother.

Both companies are well-known, as the higher paying job is in the automotive field, and the lower paying one is in the banking industry. Both offer similar programs and are well respected.
Probably would hold off on moving in together then. Unless she finds a new job.

First Job out of college is typically a 2-4 year kind of a deal and then you move on for better pay unless it's going exceedingly well. You could just continue to live at your parents and deal with the commute if you want (which is really not terrible).

Regardless of living situation, you need to take the better offer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2016, 12:15 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,101,529 times
Move out of your parents home, move close to the higher paying job.

Old 06-19-2016, 02:03 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,291,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
The salary you make out of the gate sets up your salary at the next job you work at.
That fact cannot be over-emphasized.

Old 06-19-2016, 02:20 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,783,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTE1969 View Post
1. Drive the long drive in a minivan.
2. Sleep overnight in the minivan in a camp cot inside the minivan.
3. Problem solved.

But you have to know how to fixup your minivan to survive winter and summer weather. I'll write a book on that.

And I do live in my minivan, so I speak the TRUTH.
Problem is, getting frisky is a pain unless your gf doesn't have a roommate...

As for writing a book, check out cheaprvliving for pointers

Old 06-19-2016, 03:37 PM

1,352 posts, read 1,530,686 times
10-15k makes up for the time spent commuting. A couple of things to consider, if you're only planning on staying at either job for a couple of years, taking the lower paying job could keep any subsequent job offers 10-15k lower. In IT people tend to frequently move around, although banks are known for not paying that well. If you were to stay in either field, which one offers the most growth?

Old 06-19-2016, 03:54 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,783,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augustus27 View Post
Hello Everyone,

I have been fortunate enough to receive two job offers after graduating college. The first offer has a better salary, but has a longer commute, while the second offer has a lower salary, but a much more doable commute.

I don't have any current things holding me back financially (except for the good ole student loans), as I live at home with my parents right now.

I have done some "test drives" if you will, to see how the commute to the better paying job would fare, and it wasn't so good. At least 45 minutes to an hour in the morning, and 55 minutes, to 1 hour and a half pending on traffic and accidents.

The better paying job would be at the very least over half the time of the longer commute, (20-30 minutes), but the lower pay is making me hesitant.

Both jobs are good opportunities in the IT field, although the lower paying job is around 10-15k less in terms of salary. Obviously most people have said to take the higher paying job despite the commute, but having a good chunk of my day being taken away from commuting might not be worth the extra pay.

So please, any unbiased opinions about what actions to take.

Thanks!
Well, I had an offer from another company...$3 more an hour and didn't want to leave my place...

But today, I looked at the area...3 miles from work to library...9 miles to sleeping area....3 miles to store...I think I may reconsider my options...I could always come back to my "Stomping grounds" on weekends...

Old 06-19-2016, 03:57 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,115,915 times
I tow my 99 Honda Civic HX behind my 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT [tow package]. The Honda is like a cargo trailer. The rest of my 3 story house possessions [messed up inheritance, - my brother sold my house under me, but I kept my possessions] are stored in two climate controlled storage lockers.

Old 06-19-2016, 04:29 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,739,820 times
The job with the longer commute definitely. You'll be getting more pay, name recognition and I would assume better opportunity for growth? Look at the big picture, not the immediate one.

Old 06-19-2016, 04:46 PM

21 posts, read 21,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue biker View Post
10-15k makes up for the time spent commuting. A couple of things to consider, if you're only planning on staying at either job for a couple of years, taking the lower paying job could keep any subsequent job offers 10-15k lower. In IT people tend to frequently move around, although banks are known for not paying that well. If you were to stay in either field, which one offers the most growth?
Well since I know people in both companies, I have a good general feeling of job growth.

Both companies offer competitive job growth, as the lower paying one has salary increases to 85k, over the course of 3-4 years into the company.

The higher-paying job starts off at a higher salary, but the growth is a bit more slower.

Old 06-19-2016, 04:48 PM

21 posts, read 21,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
The job with the longer commute definitely. You'll be getting more pay, name recognition and I would assume better opportunity for growth? Look at the big picture, not the immediate one.
I know, I should be looking ahead. It is just very frustrating, trying to figure out all the pros and cons. Money isn't everything, though very important.

I do like the area that I live in now (northern Detroit area), and would like to stay somewhere around here, but would therefore make my commute not much better than how long it currently is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment