Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2016, 01:00 AM

521 posts, read 290,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I've had jobs where employees and management behaved that way. They usually have a high turnover rate and only the bullies stay long term. Sometimes the person who acts the worst is the owner. There's nothing you can do then except quit.

If she thinks she will have trouble finding another job and her employer has multiple locations, she could ask to transfer to a different location.

I had a coworker start screaming and throwing things at me at a job once. I called the police and pressed charges against her for assault. I had to change jobs after that because I refused to drop the charges against her, but back then jobs were really easy to find. I knew I could walk out of one job and be working somewhere else the next day. I put up with enough abuse at home when I was a child, there was no way I was going to tolerate that kind of behavior from a coworker.
she was throwing things on you?! did she keep her job?!!

OP, I think she should start looking for a job ASAP, and try to transfer to different location if possible
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2016, 03:51 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,113,551 times
I would have walked the minute the first screaming match happened, like your sister wanted too.

What's with the "we talked her out of it(quitting)"? What's that story? You living together....you all who?

Why did you try so hard to make her stay? Now look.

You "all" need to butt out....your sister needed to follow her gut first day. Hell, I would send a big mean so and so to pick up my belongings...after I called and reported this whole place to the DOL

What you accept you teach.

Last edited by JanND; 06-20-2016 at 04:03 AM..

Old 06-20-2016, 05:16 AM

299 posts, read 348,864 times
She should leave ASAP. In 1981 I took a job with a very good salary and benefits. Seemed like a good place. The first day, the President screamed and bullied three different employees out in the open in front of everyone. He heard that one pregnant employee was coming in late because she had a bad morning with morning sickness. He screamed at her supervisor that the girl should just stay home because he was firing her. My head was spinning! When I left to go home, I continued my job search, got another good offer, and left. Every day I went there, it was the same thing. Thank goodness I wasn't there that long. It won't get better. She needs to leave.

Old 06-20-2016, 05:53 AM

289 posts, read 502,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
You are offering your sister bad advice. She has not been there long enough to request a schedule change because she has a problem with a coworker. That coworker has been there longer than her. He may not be "punished" at all. Your sister is the one who will likely suffer consequences. How long have you been in the workforce? Most of what you are saying is totally unrealistic. Your sister hasn't even been there for a year. It's awfully presumptuous to think they'll make all these accommodations for an employee who is leaving. She should give her two weeks and work the notice period (if they allow it) or quit immediately. The other scenarios are unrealistic.
Actually the coworker started the same time as her. I figured there was no harm in asking them to change the schedule since the alternative is her quitting, but it sounds like everyone thinks quitting right away is the better option anyhow.

Old 06-20-2016, 05:56 AM

289 posts, read 502,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
I would have walked the minute the first screaming match happened, like your sister wanted too.

What's with the "we talked her out of it(quitting)"? What's that story? You living together....you all who?

Why did you try so hard to make her stay? Now look.

You "all" need to butt out....your sister needed to follow her gut first day. Hell, I would send a big mean so and so to pick up my belongings...after I called and reported this whole place to the DOL

What you accept you teach.
In hindsight we should have supported her leaving on day one, but at the time she had bills to pay and when she asked our advice on the situation, we said "At least stay til you find something else." She settled in a little bit, stopped looking for other jobs as hard, and now she really wants out. Hindsight's always 20/20 I guess.

Old 06-20-2016, 09:43 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,872,339 times
If she can document her abuse, when she quits she will qualify for unemployment, if she needs it. Check your state laws.

Old 06-20-2016, 12:48 PM

1,115 posts, read 2,489,199 times
First, I don't think it's necessary to give two weeks notice if the job is that hostile. Usually that's a courteous notice you give when you and the employer are on at least a neutral level. Companies can fire or lay you off in the blink of the eye, I would not think twice about quitting without notice.

As for the right time to leave... My usual answer is wait till you have another job. If she really can't stand the job though (affecting health, too much stress, safety, etc) or she has enough money to be unemployed for a bit, I would just quit whenever.

Old 06-20-2016, 01:18 PM

13,087 posts, read 20,785,005 times
Hasn't been asked yet, but, does she want to be able to collect unemployment benefits?

Old 06-20-2016, 03:02 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,763,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rose88 View Post
she was throwing things on you?! did she keep her job?!!

OP, I think she should start looking for a job ASAP, and try to transfer to different location if possible
She kept her job.

My husband worked at another place and he had a coworker go so weird on him in front of the manager that he walked out. The coworker who had been screaming at him followed him out and threw herself on the hood of his truck, begging him not to leave because she'd be in big trouble if someone quit because of her again.

After a while we got tired of working in convenience stores because things like this kept happening no matter where we were.

I fired someone for putting beer out the back door for her friends, and she lay on the floor of the office and cried and screamed and beat her hands against the floor for 30 minutes begging for her job back. (then she left and called her godmother, who was my supervisor who had made me hire her to begin with, and got her job back)

Old 06-20-2016, 05:50 PM

876 posts, read 807,192 times
I work for a lady who is a drunk and smokes like a chimney all day. Occasionally I smell alcohol on her breath, but it's maybe a couple times a month so no problem. At first she was a total biyotch, but gradually over a year or so she realized that oh, this guy can do a lot of my work for me, so I'm gonna ease up on him!

So now, I am there 40 hours a week (I don't do overtime at this job) and she is at her desk about a half to a third of the time, even though she makes more and works less than I do. She says she is working from home on the days she isn't at the office but I have serious doubts. Because there isn't enough to keep me busy, I goof off about 1/2 to 2/3 of the time. But, as long as my boss isn't on my case about every little thing, I'm not going to complain.

Somehow she bamboozled her boss, (a director) into hiring help by convincing her that she absolutely had no way to keep up with the work volume. I think it's because the director and her are good buddies and go out to lunch all the time. Truth is my boss is a drunken idiot, but I have to face the facts: I wouldn't have this particular job without her incompetence.

I'm going to quit next month (after 3 years) . My only solace is that I've been able to pay off about $5000 in credit card debit, and save up $10,000 in cash. This is going to be my escape money to another city and hopefully, a better job!

Last edited by A1eutian; 06-20-2016 at 06:29 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment