Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2016, 10:43 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,674,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortel View Post
retail you can still do that. A corporate type job no.
However, people hiring so-and-so's kid? Still done. Everywhere. People are acting like parents helping their kids get jobs is somehow unusual or wrong. A lot of people who get a leg up in life have parents who help them land prestigious/interesting internships because of the parents' connections. As much as people on C-D complain about it, that's how reality works.

Parents who have the ability to help their kids often do. I don't think it's helicopter parenting to post something on a neighborhood board saying someone's child is looking for a part-time job. Perhaps someone else is looking for a young person to do some part-time work and doesn't really want to advertise? Maybe they know young Braydon and think he'd perfectly suited to do the job working in an office doing the filing that hasn't been done for 4 years. He might even learn a little about the business and then when the project is over, it isn't as big a deal to let him go as it would be to let someone else go because he can make it clear to Braydon from the start that it's just for the duration of the project.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2016, 11:12 AM

1,104 posts, read 919,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
It's the helicopter parent nonsense. You want to know why so many "kids" live at home well into their 20s nowadays? It's because mommy and daddy do everything for them, so they have no idea how to function in the real world.
I love stuff like this, imagine Medieval Europe and a regular Christian family, do you really think they encouraged their grown children to study and live in a modern condo at the edge of town with a degree in one hand and an iPod in the other. Reality is that grown children have lived with their parents since forever but you obviously don't know that.

Since you're so concerned with the independence of new adults, why not consider that families should prepare them for work and encourage personal ethics rather than snarling at them for being confused and inexperienced. While your perspective is sadly very dominant, I still believe we should treat young adults with respect by offering them opportunities to learn and grow, such as training, morals and good habits, rather than kick them off a cliff and shout at them because they hit the rocks.

Old 12-17-2016, 12:40 PM

3,268 posts, read 3,322,594 times
I havent read all of this but I don't see anything wrong with parents helping their kids find jobs. I wish mine had been more helpful to me! I will certainly help my kids find jobs someday...if they find their own then great!

Old 12-17-2016, 12:50 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,986,308 times
Must be nice to be a teenager /20 something today. These kids are so useless and spoiled rotten it's sickening. No wonder they are the most Useless generation of employees in history. Can't even wipe their own rears. What will they do when mommy/daddy aren't around anymore?

Old 12-17-2016, 01:07 PM

I think it's the baby boomers that are spoiled wrotten. They have basically been at the same company for 30 years, have great investments, homes worth a boatload. Sure their kids will benefit from them but i dont think their kids will have it as good as them jobwise.

Old 12-17-2016, 01:36 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,855,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Must be nice to be a teenager /20 something today. These kids are so useless and spoiled rotten it's sickening. No wonder they are the most Useless generation of employees in history. Can't even wipe their own rears. What will they do when mommy/daddy aren't around anymore?
Exactly. Mom or dad finds the kid a job. Then when he or she gets fired for being irresponsible (failing to show up for work multiple times) mom or dad goes in to ask for the kid's job back.

How is this teaching responsibility to their kids? It is teaching them it is ok to be lazy and irresponsible.

Old 12-17-2016, 01:45 PM

3,137 posts, read 2,707,699 times
There are some teen babysitters in our area who advertised their services in the neighborhood directory. When I called the number, their mom answered. She told me they weren't available to work on school nights, and they couldn't work on weekend nights either because of their social activities. But they could work any other time. (?)

Old 12-17-2016, 06:20 PM

1,768 posts, read 1,638,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
I havent read all of this but I don't see anything wrong with parents helping their kids find jobs. I wish mine had been more helpful to me! I will certainly help my kids find jobs someday...if they find their own then great!

Exactly. I think it's more than fine.
The world is competitive and if aspirational parents want to help their kids "get ahead" and make it into the top 5%, let them do it.

Old 12-17-2016, 06:31 PM

I went to high school with plenty of people whose parents run companies and they were just given a great job at the company. No idea what the future holds...but many of these people were/are spoiled and dont know how good they have it. But if im able to help my kids of course i will do it.

Old 12-17-2016, 07:25 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,986,308 times
I can't think of many "well off" kids Ive seen who were spoiled rotten and given everything they wanted that were worth two hoots in either school or in the business world. These kids have NO work ethic, they don't know what it takes to earn anything, and pretty much have to have their parents bail them out of everything.

Well what happens when the parents can't do that anymore?

You gotta teach your kid some responsibility, work ethic, and morals. They won't even be able to function in the real world as adults.

You can't just HAND everyone the world on a silver platter
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment