Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2016, 06:14 PM

1 posts, read 812 times

Advertisements

Edit: sorry, couldn't post because just recently registered and was denied every time(tried this time and it worked..)

Anyways, tile installer here(good one I guess) construction is hard work and probably doesn't get any easier with age..(something to think about)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2016, 07:19 PM

13,002 posts, read 18,890,317 times
Nursing likely has the best long term prospects. Presently the building trades are good because a depression in the industry caused many to quit.
Somebody mentioned Comgress. Horrible. Costs a million at least to get elected, then constant fundraising for the next campaign. Sure the pay is great, but you can have it.

Old 06-24-2016, 09:47 PM

1,193 posts, read 1,024,902 times
Career in places that will always guarantee you will stay employed since these are things that will always be needed

Electric Company
Gas Company
State Childcare
Public Transportation
Anticoagulation Center

Old 06-27-2016, 07:10 AM

379 posts, read 254,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbia Scientist View Post
I'm going to assume that none of that is verifiable but anecdotes used to prove generalizations aren't my thing. I'll leave it there.
Considering that you are a scientist, don't you know that an average is equated by the sum of values in a set divided by their number? This means that every country has an average IQ. Of course you leave and live in denial.

Heaven forbid we generalize. That might hurt someone's feewings.

https://iq-research.info/en/page/average-iq-by-country

Old 06-27-2016, 08:25 AM

1,098 posts, read 1,865,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterjimmy View Post
Nearly any skilled trade. Many are experiencing critical shortages as older workers retire or die.
Thing is, most skilled trades pay pretty low. There's very little respect for the jobs. There might be the lucky few who make bank, but chances are they're managers and not the typical fork and spoon operators needed to do the actual work.

I've been looking at career changes before, but since I'm saddled with debt going back to school isn't an option for me right now. What's amazing about this forum is that people are mentioning jobs that you can never find searching google, because all you get are ad crammed sites with "top x jobs of 20xx" which are generic catch all positions with stock photos.

Like information tech... there are so many branches, some that surprisingly only require a cert or two as opposed to a four year degree they never go into detail. My concern with IT jobs is that more and more are becoming automated out sourced by bigger companies, really don't want to deal with it.

Quote:
Drafting is done in India. Terrible career choice.
Originally wanted to be an architect, aced drafting classes in my HS. Didn't pursue because of this, and the housing/construction market crashed. Now, like how photoshop replaced the graphic designer, people can do generic drafts on the computer. Though you still have to deal with building regulations but that is a whole different beast.

Last edited by Cyber Surfer; 06-27-2016 at 08:43 AM..

Old 07-02-2016, 06:53 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,197,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryder789 View Post
This is in regards to your previous statement. 'for boys:' skilled trades...etc.

I HIGHLY recommend that women and girls who are good mechanically and good w/ their hands and good putting things together and like constructing (or deconstructing for that matter) to get involved in HVAC and Plumbing. I am a woman who has done many things. I have a degree in Interior Design. But before that I worked as a child on old houses where I got involved in painting them and then in doing plumbing. I started working for myself as a twenty something and made very good money at both of those things, when I wasn't doing other things. (I was and still am, interested in many things). I got a lot of jobs from women and also from men, who knew my work ethic and rep. I will come back and fix it, or make it right until it is done. I DO wish my degree had an apprenticeship attached to it, as it used to. It just makes sense for interior design, or architecture to be so, just as it does the other skilled trades (i'm gonna get reemed for saying it that way, but it IS a skilled trade, and plus an artistic one). But I was never lacking in jobs or people always asking me for help with plumbing and painting. The pay was great, I kept in shape, I ran my own hours and had some control. Women should not be afraid to use their skills to go into these fields just because they are more traditionally done by men.

Yes. About 1 in 7 girls have a mechanical instinct (2 of my cousins were classics; one of them is a general surgeon). Most wouldn't do so well (and, btw, about 1 in 5 boys aren't all that mechanical either, but boys typically must be the bread winner since they can't flaunt their way to a good income).

Can you sweat copper pipes?

Old 07-03-2016, 08:25 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,577,046 times
As far as truck driving goes, I am a driver. But I will say that if you want to do it as a career, next year will prob be the last year you could start and do it until retirement, because I'm betting in about 25-30 years, there won't be truck drivers any more thanks to Google

Old 07-03-2016, 08:34 AM

123 posts, read 84,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
Yes. About 1 in 7 girls have a mechanical instinct (2 of my cousins were classics; one of them is a general surgeon). Most wouldn't do so well (and, btw, about 1 in 5 boys aren't all that mechanical either, but boys typically must be the bread winner since they can't flaunt their way to a good income).

Can you sweat copper pipes?
Most girls aren't taught to do anything electrical, mechanical or trades-related. When I was in school, girls weren't even permitted to take those classes--this set up a vicious cycle where women who weren't allowed to learn skills couldn't pass those skills down. Then you see that women don't have those skills, so you think women CAN'T have (as in are unable to to learn or have no aptitude for) those skills.

When I was young, I wanted to be an electrician but was told I couldn't because nobody hired women. You are confusing nature and nuture. Even now, when women want to do these things, they are at a disadvantage. How many dads (I say dads because not to many moms had dads who taught them they way they taught sons) even today teach their daughters. If women want to go into trades as an adult, they are years behind already.

I wanted to learn some woodworking, so I took a class that was advertised at the local vo-tech as beginner level. I wanted to make a small table. Not only was I the only woman there, the male "beginners" all were experienced with lathes and sanders and routers and really just needed to improve their skills not learn from the beginning. Naturally, I required more of the instuctor's time. This aggravated people, but I stuck it out and now have a nice tilt-top table beside my armchair.

You seem to have a very negative, bitter view of women. I don't see women putting down men as a whole group the way I see disparaging commenting like yours. I cannot "sweat copper pipes", whatever that may be, but then I was never taught to do so. Can you administer an anesthetic safely?

Last edited by Achelois; 07-03-2016 at 08:51 AM..

Old 07-03-2016, 10:03 AM

1,193 posts, read 1,024,902 times
Definitely nothing in non-profit or sales

Old 07-03-2016, 11:49 AM

2,156 posts, read 3,330,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renter16 View Post
Definitely nothing in non-profit or sales
If you can sell, you will always have a job. Sales is for the few who have talent/skills. Those that have it, are often very well off. Sales does not discriminate as well. Whether you are 18 or 70. Black, white, or blue. Male or female. If you graduated from Harvard or have a 6th grade education. If you can sell, you will make money.

You won't find too many 18 yr. old making $40K-$50K a year, two months after his high school graduation in many fields, I've seen it in sales. You don't see too many 65 year old immigrant with a 6th grade education and broken English making 2 million dollars a year in other professions, I've seen it in sales.

Last edited by calnbs; 07-03-2016 at 12:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment