Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2016, 06:20 PM

12,847 posts, read 9,055,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I have no idea what you do for a living but I bet I could pick it apart and have nonsense beliefs about it like you do about education.

As it is you only pay attention to what confirms your beliefs whether they are accurate or not, so it's almost a waste of time to respond to you.

People have nonsense beliefs about what I do all the time. I'm actually trying to help you strengthen your arguments but your too emotionally attached to certain points to understand those points aren't working and why. Has your argument been working? Then perhaps instead of dismissing those who point weaknesses out, ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
They are expected to bring the supplies but they don't. I teach elementary and I'm expected to teach them no matter what. There is just no way to do that if they don't have what they need. Even the basics. Last year my combined class brought 4 packs of paper and 2 bottles of hand sanitizer. That doesn't last a year.

Soap is a must. I had an outbreak of norovirus in my room. I have to wonder about the lack of soap and tissues.

So what if Johnny doesn't bring supplies I should just let him sit there? Yeah that's going to fly. Have you ever been in a "poor" school?

Then let Johnny sit there. If the problem is serious enough, the community will get involved and fix it. But as long as teachers provide the easy way out, no one will.

And yes, I grew up in what you would call a "poor" school in a poor cotton mill town. Only I guess we were just too dumb to know we were poor. If we'd only known how poor we were, we'd still be that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2016, 06:33 PM

45,383 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
People have nonsense beliefs about what I do all the time. I'm actually trying to help you strengthen your arguments but your too emotionally attached to certain points to understand those points aren't working and why. Has your argument been working? Then perhaps instead of dismissing those who point weaknesses out, ....

Aaaaaaannnnnnnnnndddddddddddd, you totally, once again, refused to answer one, just one ****ing question, I posed.

Yeah, you want to "strengthen my arguments" by you ignoring them and just carrying on with your own confirmation bias. Thanks, for the "help".

Old 06-27-2016, 06:53 PM

35,075 posts, read 31,302,097 times
Quote:
Then let Johnny sit there. If the problem is serious enough, the community will get involved and fix it. But as long as teachers provide the easy way out, no one will.

And yes, I grew up in what you would call a "poor" school in a poor cotton mill town. Only I guess we were just too dumb to know we were poor. If we'd only known how poor we were, we'd still be that way.
Agreed. Schools "float" to the level of performance expected by the career, and are a reflection of that community. If that community doesn't demand much in the way in performance, you won't get much.

Old 06-27-2016, 08:02 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,599,904 times
Quote:
People have nonsense beliefs about what I do all the time. I'm actually trying to help you strengthen your arguments but your too emotionally attached to certain points to understand those points aren't working and why. Has your argument been working? Then perhaps instead of dismissing those who point weaknesses out, ...

Ha! Just shows how out of touch with reality you are.

Old 06-29-2016, 11:56 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,265,634 times
Quote:
We didn't have soap the last 2 weeks of school! Soap! We had to buy soap. There was none for the teachers or the students. I doubt there are many professionals that have to supply soap. Don't get me started on the school supplies that parents don't supply because they think the school should do it.
Wow. That must have cost you $5.
The hardship!

Old 06-29-2016, 02:04 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,599,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Wow. That must have cost you $5.
The hardship!
That's the attitude that's the problem. Also why should I buy soap and paper towels for the 600+ students and the 70+ staff? Do you provide basics at your job? This isn't a one time thing. It happens mare than I care to admit, it should never happen.

I spend $1,000+ a year on my students between supplies, materials for projects, tissues, hand sanitizer, and rewards the school should provide the basics.

Old 06-29-2016, 02:13 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,630,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
Why are non-salaried (hourly) teachers who work over 40 hours a week ineligible for overtime, but nearly every other public servant (Police, Sanitation, Parks Dept, Transit Worker) eligible?
You only mentioned public servants but this question has been studied and it was found that teachers are some of the highest paid workers per hour when compared to office workers and salaried management. My daughter who was assistant manager at a store you would recognize if I were allowed to tell you, sometimes worked 6 days a week and 10 hours a day. When she calculated her hourly wage it was below some of the employees that she managed.

Now let's discuss the retirement teachers and many other public employees enjoy at a age they can still enjoy that retirement.

Old 06-29-2016, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
You only mentioned public servants but this question has been studied and it was found that teachers are some of the highest paid workers per hour when compared to office workers and salaried management. My daughter who was assistant manager at a store you would recognize if I were allowed to tell you, sometimes worked 6 days a week and 10 hours a day. When she calculated her hourly wage it was below some of the employees that she managed.

Let's see the study. I'm saying that because of the office drones on here telling us that they have to work all this overtime unpaid.

The difference, which many don't exactly catch, is that for education you are expected to do the extra hours and your boss doesn't ask or tell you that you have to. That's not so much the way it is in industry (which I also worked).

I'll give an example of sorts. My last year the teacher report time was 7:15. One of my "additional duties as assigned" (contractual language, silent on hours for those "duties") was to herd buses. To do that I had to report no later than 6:45 since the first bus rolled in at 6:50. There was no trade-off, no comp time, just "additional duties as assigned".

What made it worse was that the administrators report time was 6:45. Most days the first one rolled in about 8. That lateness triggered one more "additional duty as assigned", as senior teacher I was technically in charge and responsible for the building.

Old 06-29-2016, 02:32 PM

Quote:
That's the attitude that's the problem. Also why should I buy soap and paper towels for the 600+ students and the 70+ staff? Do you provide basics at your job? This isn't a one time thing. It happens mare than I care to admit, it should never happen.

I spend $1,000+ a year on my students between supplies, materials for projects, tissues, hand sanitizer, and rewards the school should provide the basics.

Don't expect an answer. I've asked that same, or similar, question several times so far and it hasn't been answered except one who mentioned "personal items" or personal artwork, not catching that classrooms have to be decorated for the theme/subject and refreshed when that changes.

Oh, my system decided for a time that wall maps weren't necessary to teach geography. You know, but I'll let others guess, who ended up buying wall map sets to use.

Old 06-29-2016, 02:49 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,630,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Let's see the study. I'm saying that because of the office drones on here telling us that they have to work all this overtime unpaid.

The difference, which many don't exactly catch, is that for education you are expected to do the extra hours and your boss doesn't ask or tell you that you have to. That's not so much the way it is in industry (which I also worked).

I'll give an example of sorts. My last year the teacher report time was 7:15. One of my "additional duties as assigned" (contractual language, silent on hours for those "duties") was to herd buses. To do that I had to report no later than 6:45 since the first bus rolled in at 6:50. There was no trade-off, no comp time, just "additional duties as assigned".

What made it worse was that the administrators report time was 6:45. Most days the first one rolled in about 8. That lateness triggered one more "additional duty as assigned", as senior teacher I was technically in charge and responsible for the building.
Sorry, I saw the article while putting up magazines in the library. I know what kind of whine this kind of thing generates. Maybe some of you should try working in a one person library where the state pays for some things, the town pays for some things and the county pays for some. If I wanted the floor mopped in the bathroom I had to bring the mop and the detergent from home and do it myself. I was wonderfully blessed with scouts whose leader mostly washed our windows. I have no complaints for the average of 10 hours I put in beyond my paid hours weekly. Sometimes that was watering the plants out front after the library was closed. At least three hours a week was putting together story time for the preschoolers not to mention the Summer Reading Program. I had to quit gardening because taking care of fresh vegetables and summer reading was too much at one time.

Once when I was inside cleaning the building after hours, I had a male patron scream through the door that I better open up and get what he wanted because he knew I was in there. I have been called at home on Sunday afternoon by a teen wanting me to drive the five miles and open the library and get the book he needed for class the next day. I could go on but surely that is enough for you to get the picture.

All jobs have their good points and bad points. You just have to decide whether you want the job enough to put up with them. I am enjoying every minute of my deserved retirement. Another ten years of pension may pay for all the work I did. I feel very fortunate to have a pension because a lot of those office workers work their heads off just to be let go just before retirement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment