Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2016, 06:18 AM

45,379 posts, read 60,561,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
Is the professional education field actually that skewed female? Early grade classroom teachers are mostly women, but upper grade teachers, admins, and postsecondary instructors are routinely male.

Yes.

Even at the high school level women are in the majority.

The Teacher Gender-Gap

Old 06-24-2016, 06:42 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,356,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
There are many liberal arts courses for science people.
What are you talking about?!
The person is trying to say that everyone who graduates from college has requirements they must meet.

So a school might require you take two English courses and a science course.

They are implying a non-science major gets to take a "dumbed-down" science or math course but a science or math major wouldn't get to take any such "dumbed-down" English, psychology, etc. courses because they do not exist for them.

Old 06-24-2016, 12:57 PM

16,587 posts, read 8,605,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stellastar2345 View Post
a) tr---y is a disrespectful term. b) do you think women who wear pants are lesbians? why is it that a woman can do masculine things without being thought of as a lesbian, but a guy who does feminine things must be a homosexual?
Classic liberal PC rubbish. I make a thoughtful reply including agreeing with your overall premise, but you want to play PC speech police to try and correct what you find offensive.
Here is a news flash for you.

1) Unless you are a tranny yourself, don't pretend to know what bothers them or is acceptable. Many a known tranny like RuPaul calls themselves that, and laugh at liberals who get offended on their behalf. But don't take my word for it, look at liberal publications you likely read whether it be Salon, Huffpo, or even the Advocate.
You will find that they do not consider it offensive.

2) Even if an oversensitive person who has a grievance chip on their shoulder doesn't like it, I am not going to be politically correct just to appease them. For brevity I sometimes shorten heterosexual to hetero with nary a peep, but the PC police have a fit when I shorten homosexual to homo.
Heck I even once got into a debate with an ultra whiney liberal saying I shouldn't use the term Jew, that I must spell out Jewish.

Anyway, back to your ancillary point about clothing/fashion.
Whether you or I like it, think it is fair or unjust, rest assured a man wearing a dress with cause derision. That is because our society and most others around the world frown upon homosexuality.
Some are tolerant if not approving, but many are hostile, even to the point of perpetrating violence against them.
A pie in the sky Utopian society is just not going to happen where homos are equally accepted without talk behind their backs. Much less places that would stone them to death.
As to women wearing pants, no that does not automatically mean they are homosexuals. However we both know (so don't be obtuse) that certain haircuts, clothing, and/or demeanor exudes their sexuality. So a simple pants suit like Hillary wears does not scream being butch. However army boots, rolled up short sleeves, and a short spiked haircut sends a certain message.

Frankly, I think your original premise is where you will get the most traction, rather than trying to tie in the tranny aspect, saying men should be able to wear a dress and not seem out of place. The gender neutral nonsense has it's limits, again whether you or I like it or not.
Yet there is room for improvement like the example I gave with nursing.

`

Old 06-24-2016, 01:28 PM

45,379 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
The person is trying to say that everyone who graduates from college has requirements they must meet.

So a school might require you take two English courses and a science course.

They are implying a non-science major gets to take a "dumbed-down" science or math course but a science or math major wouldn't get to take any such "dumbed-down" English, psychology, etc. courses because they do not exist for them.

They don't exist because those general courses are already dumbed down. That's why they're "general" courses. The Science for Non-Science majors classes are the same.

Is it being implied by some of you that STEM people can't pass already dumbed down English and Psych classes because they're too hard?

Old 06-24-2016, 03:59 PM

1,001 posts, read 1,095,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Classic liberal PC rubbish. I make a thoughtful reply including agreeing with your overall premise, but you want to play PC speech police to try and correct what you find offensive.
Here is a news flash for you.

1) Unless you are a tranny yourself, don't pretend to know what bothers them or is acceptable. Many a known tranny like RuPaul calls themselves that, and laugh at liberals who get offended on their behalf. But don't take my word for it, look at liberal publications you likely read whether it be Salon, Huffpo, or even the Advocate.
You will find that they do not consider it offensive.

2) Even if an oversensitive person who has a grievance chip on their shoulder doesn't like it, I am not going to be politically correct just to appease them. For brevity I sometimes shorten heterosexual to hetero with nary a peep, but the PC police have a fit when I shorten homosexual to homo.
Heck I even once got into a debate with an ultra whiney liberal saying I shouldn't use the term Jew, that I must spell out Jewish.

Anyway, back to your ancillary point about clothing/fashion.
Whether you or I like it, think it is fair or unjust, rest assured a man wearing a dress with cause derision. That is because our society and most others around the world frown upon homosexuality.
Some are tolerant if not approving, but many are hostile, even to the point of perpetrating violence against them.
A pie in the sky Utopian society is just not going to happen where homos are equally accepted without talk behind their backs. Much less places that would stone them to death.
As to women wearing pants, no that does not automatically mean they are homosexuals. However we both know (so don't be obtuse) that certain haircuts, clothing, and/or demeanor exudes their sexuality. So a simple pants suit like Hillary wears does not scream being butch. However army boots, rolled up short sleeves, and a short spiked haircut sends a certain message.

Frankly, I think your original premise is where you will get the most traction, rather than trying to tie in the tranny aspect, saying men should be able to wear a dress and not seem out of place. The gender neutral nonsense has it's limits, again whether you or I like it or not.
Yet there is room for improvement like the example I gave with nursing.

`
a) it's not pc gibberish; it's disrespectful. you can use the word trans if you want a shortcut.

b) the world doesn't frown upon homosexuality. it's predominately intolerant and/or religious people.

c) and a simple dress or other "feminine' things shouldn't be frowned upon when a man does it. as a society we are trying to make it acceptable for a woman to act like a man as if that should be the standard. it's not bringing about equality, and still implicitly makes masculinity the "gold" standard.

Old 06-24-2016, 04:05 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,031,639 times
Money. Housekeeping pays nothing and the male equivalent, janitor, usually pays much more. Teaching at the lower levels, a traditionally female job doesn't pay much. Most men are not interested in doing jobs that don't pay well if they have access to higher paying jobs.

Old 06-24-2016, 04:29 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,730,892 times
Quote:
or other female dominated fields?

real equality is when men can do what a woman can without being made fun of..i.e a man can wear a dress in public without attracting attention.
Because men are not facing discrimination when they try to become teachers...as a female scientist, the same cannot be said for women in the STEM fields.

Old 06-24-2016, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Because men are not facing discrimination when they try to become teachers...as a female scientist, the same cannot be said for women in the STEM fields.
i'm a female in tech (majored in cs, work as a programmer). I've never faced discrimination based on gender.

Old 06-24-2016, 05:05 PM

16,587 posts, read 8,605,677 times
Quote:
a) it's not pc gibberish; it's disrespectful. you can use the word trans if you want a shortcut.

b) the world doesn't frown upon homosexuality. it's predominately intolerant and/or religious people.

c) and a simple dress or other "feminine' things shouldn't be frowned upon when a man does it. as a society we are trying to make it acceptable for a woman to act like a man as if that should be the standard. it's not bringing about equality, and still implicitly makes masculinity the "gold" standard.
You do not listen very well, and obviously ignore the examples I provided for you such as a self described tranny, RuPaul.
You also seem to either be delusional, or want to live in a society not even close to just about any I have ever heard of.
So since you do not want to exchange ideas and instead wish to dictate how others can communicate, this will be last my last post in this thread.

But before parting, I need to educate you on peoples ability to express themselves in any manner that they please.
Thus people can use any word/s in a free country governed not by a dictatorial ruler, but a constitutional republic. Sadly liberals who use to be champions of freedom of speech, now worship at the alter of PC instead.
We are not limited to words the PC police deem appropriate. So just because you are hung up on the word tranny, it does not give you the authority to dictate whether others, including trannys themselves, can or should use it.

Have a nice weekend.

Old 06-24-2016, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
You do not listen very well, and obviously ignore the examples I provided for you such as a self described tranny, RuPaul.
You also seem to either be delusional, or want to live in a society not even close to just about any I have ever heard of.
So since you do not want to exchange ideas and instead wish to dictate how others can communicate, this will be last my last post in this thread.

But before parting, I need to educate you on peoples ability to express themselves in any manner that they please.
Thus people can use any word/s in a free country governed not by a dictatorial ruler, but a constitutional republic. Sadly liberals who use to be champions of freedom of speech, now worship at the alter of PC instead.
We are not limited to words the PC police deem appropriate. So just because you are hung up on the word tranny, it does not give you the authority to dictate whether others, including trannys themselves, can or should use it.

Have a nice weekend.
one transexual person being ok with calling himself a disrespectful word doesn't make it not disrespectful. it's just like calling african americans the n word. Just because they do it doesn't mean you can.

it's not being the pc police, it's called being respectful of others. I'm assuming you are a white male, trump supporter who desires to remain in control. the world is changing.

have a nice weekend yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment