Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2016, 10:25 AM

4,322 posts, read 7,224,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
Don't forget: last hired, first fired.
Sometimes, yes. But in many situations, it doesn't work that way.

For example, the company may be restructuring, or phasing out certain operations that longer-tenured employees were hired for years ago. Or, the longer serving employees may be at or near pay range maximums for their position, and the less-tenured workers are less costly to keep on board. Plus, some of their skills may be more up to date.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2016, 10:31 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,133,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SQL View Post
What you're saying is fine, but that is not the point at all. My main gripe is that the lack of stability significantly impedes any progress or enjoyment in my life. As I told my GF earlier, lately I feel like I'm only working to save money for the next emergency, layoff, etc. I'm not actually working to pay for anything that brings meaning or joy to my life, or something that paves the way for upward mobility. Rather, I'm only working to save up for the next time something bad happens. This is a terrible cycle to be in, and this is no way to live life. This makes me wonder if life is worth living at all, if this is the cycle that I will continue to be stuck in.

Five directors were laid off today, including the CFO. I'm not even two months into this job, and already I'm concerned that my position will be eliminated. This is a horrible thing to constantly be dealing with, and nothing you say is going to change my mind about that.
So if you wanted to marry your girlfriend and start thinking about having kids (and probably buy a bigger house), you would be uncomfortable doing it. So I like the advice: don't buy property and start having kids until you have confidence of getting your next job. It sounds to me like you have the wherewithall to do this, especially in Denver (solid job market). Just don't let her talk you into buying too much house.

It IS different from our parents and their parents who had it easy financially. We have to scrap thru the aggressive machinations of our employers these days and continually keep learning and changing jobs. I'm tired of seeing perfectly strong companies reorg and risk their cash cows to try for maximum growth to apparently just please their board of directors and share holders.

Old 06-24-2016, 10:51 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,530,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
Sometimes, yes. But in many situations, it doesn't work that way.

For example, the company may be restructuring, or phasing out certain operations that longer-tenured employees were hired for years ago. Or, the longer serving employees may be at or near pay range maximums for their position, and the less-tenured workers are less costly to keep on board. Plus, some of their skills may be more up to date.
even so, it won't matter, the OP said he has no qualms about jumping ship when it gets rocked... he won't know if he would be one of the ones that are kept, because he already jumped

Old 06-24-2016, 11:09 AM
SQL SQL started this thread

1,337 posts, read 1,192,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeb View Post
even so, it won't matter, the OP said he has no qualms about jumping ship when it gets rocked... he won't know if he would be one of the ones that are kept, because he already jumped
Hey, you, why don't you address me instead of jumping to your own conclusions about what I will and will not do? I'm still here, I have not jumped ship, and I really don't want to.

However, I have valid reason to be concerned. My manager hired me for a reason. He wanted someone with an analytics background to tackle some projects that he had lined up. Well, guess what? He's not here any longer. The only advocate I had at this company is gone. And I'm not specifically in a technical data-driven department. I work with mostly marketing and customer service people. So who knows if whichever group I fall into will need someone with my background . As someone with bills to pay and no one to fall back on, this is of great concern to me. I know it doesn't matter to you, that this is just a joke to you while you egg me on and demean me over the Internet, but this is my life, it's very real, and I take it very seriously. Now if you don't have anything productive to say, please move on.

Last edited by SQL; 06-24-2016 at 11:35 AM..

Old 06-24-2016, 11:39 AM

I read a lot of threads on this sub, and I find it pretty odd. Over the slightest work-related issue, many posters will advise jumping ship to another job or employer. Manager whom you disagree with? Quit! Loud co-worker? Quit! Funny thing is, I may be at serious risk of losing a brand new job due to restructuring, and I'm being lectured about how I shouldn't jump ship so quickly.

What I have learned about this forum is that you will always be wrong for your actions, in some way or another. No matter how well you strive to go about it, somebody is going to find massive faults in how you operate. So, *bleep* it! I'll do what I want.

Old 06-24-2016, 11:59 AM

35,043 posts, read 31,233,730 times
I agree that there is little stability in corporate America. Not only are we told that "job hopping" is bad, but employers often encourage people to leave, or hire/fire them. My first employer out of school was a call center - some years, it seemed like there was more than 100% turnover.

Even in permanent jobs, to me, it often feels like you're walking on eggshells. My last employer serviced a demanding, aggressive client base. If the client was aggrieved, the burden of proof was on the employee. Only one guy got fired, and that was more due to a personality conflict/laziness than an actual issue with a client, but everyone was stressed, all the time, and the constant blame game wore everyone out. I started drinking more at this job to deal with the stress, and virtually everyone in that office was a heavy drinker.

This lack of stability is going to show up in other ways. People don't feel comfortable making any long term commitments when employment is always up in the air. Why would you get a mortgage if you feel like you'll need to relocate to find employment? People generally shouldn't be having kids til they get fairly settled, and that may be never. Even a moderate obligation like an auto loan seems hard to commit to when you're always tentative.

Old 06-24-2016, 12:04 PM

4,320 posts, read 5,133,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SQL View Post
I read a lot of threads on this sub, and I find it pretty odd. Over the slightest work-related issue, many posters will advise jumping ship to another job or employer. Manager whom you disagree with? Quit! Loud co-worker? Quit! Funny thing is, I may be at serious risk of losing a brand new job due to restructuring, and I'm being lectured about how I shouldn't jump ship so quickly.

What I have learned about this forum is that you will always be wrong for your actions, in some way or another. No matter how well you strive to go about it, somebody is going to find massive faults in how you operate. So, *bleep* it! I'll do what I want.
Very true, much of CD is worthless semi-hostile contrarian comments.

But in trying to be helpful here. You shouldn't lose hope in a job just because a key person left, that happens constantly. In the 90s I was hired by a women to partner with her in transitioning a publisher to an in-house fulfillment system. She went and quit just as things got heavy. I instantly had to play the representative role (to upper management) while still being the only technical expert. It ended up being a bigger challenge for me but increased my value and standing with the company.

You can complain about all this and be mostly correct, but you're better off rolling with it, working hard and coming out better in the end.

Old 06-24-2016, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post

But in trying to be helpful here. You shouldn't lose hope in a job just because a key person left, that happens constantly. In the 90s I was hired by a women to partner with her in transitioning a publisher to an in-house fulfillment system. She went and quit just as things got heavy. I instantly had to play the representative role (to upper management) while still being the only technical expert. It ended up being a bigger challenge for me but increased my value and standing with the company.

You can complain about all this and be mostly correct, but you're better off rolling with it, working hard and coming out better in the end.
Thank you! I appreciate your posts very much.

Old 06-24-2016, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I agree that there is little stability in corporate America. Not only are we told that "job hopping" is bad, but employers often encourage people to leave, or hire/fire them. My first employer out of school was a call center - some years, it seemed like there was more than 100% turnover.

Even in permanent jobs, to me, it often feels like you're walking on eggshells. My last employer serviced a demanding, aggressive client base. If the client was aggrieved, the burden of proof was on the employee. Only one guy got fired, and that was more due to a personality conflict/laziness than an actual issue with a client, but everyone was stressed, all the time, and the constant blame game wore everyone out. I started drinking more at this job to deal with the stress, and virtually everyone in that office was a heavy drinker.

This lack of stability is going to show up in other ways. People don't feel comfortable making any long term commitments when employment is always up in the air. Why would you get a mortgage if you feel like you'll need to relocate to find employment? People generally shouldn't be having kids til they get fairly settled, and that may be never. Even a moderate obligation like an auto loan seems hard to commit to when you're always tentative.
I think this is why there is a big shift to a "sharing economy". The Millennials realize what a mess our economy is and they don't want to be bogged down with financial commitments when you know what hits the fan ever 2-3 years.

Unfortunately, I have both a mortgage and a car payment. Shame on me for thinking I had a stable job eight years into my career..

Old 06-24-2016, 01:03 PM

61 posts, read 42,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
No it's not! You are just reading it wrong! See what I did there?

But seriously, it's not just city-data that is like this. All of America has a "blame the individual" mentality. We love our big corporations and big government. Makes us feel all warm and safe to know that those big guys are there and have our best interests in mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment