Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2016, 11:29 AM

2,068 posts, read 5,965,179 times

Advertisements

This is timely. I just was approved on Friday to telework. My main concern is the lack of social interaction, although we use an IM program called Jabber, so I can converse by text. I'm also concerned that although my gas expense will decrease, my AC bill is bound to go up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2016, 03:59 PM

8 posts, read 5,922 times
Newbie here!
I actually just started visiting these boards for the very reasons stated above...a bit more socialization.

About 25% of my company works from home so its not a big deal. I do have a great amount of flexibility but I also have a good amount of structure. I am expected for conference calls, and phone meetings that are held weekly in addition I travel a few times a month to various locations. I have deadlines that have to be met and results are expected across the board. So working from home offers me the perfect balance of freedom vs expectation.

The one caution I have is that I tend to work around the clock. I am always checking emails and responding. In the afternoons and on weekends I may slip back into the office to get some things taken care of. Those of us who work from home OFTEN over work as opposed to under work because we don't draw lines. Can't sleep in the middle of the night...I'll just go into the "office". Don't feel well? No point in calling in sick I tough it out because" its not like I I'm going to get anyone else sick."

Bottom line is you have to set yourself up for Success and often this comes down to personality. I am an introvert without question which of course means that physical social interaction depletes my energy. To keep things interesting I redid my deck so that I could utilize my outdoor space as an outdoor office so I can sit outside on nice days and eat lunch on the deck during webinars and group meetings.
Once a week I forward my calls to my cell phone and go to the local starbucks and get a coffee and sit there for a while and work. I also try to make a point to go to the gym a few times a week to get some exercise. You would be surprised how much you develop bad habits such as skipping lunch and just grabbing a quick cookie here or there.

Well that's my two scents....back to work!

Old 07-06-2016, 04:22 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,473,858 times
Many Pros, no Cons.

I have done telecommute for many years. Then had to go back into the office for some gigs and I couldn't believe how much time is wasted in the office. In the office I was much less productive due to office chit-chat and impromtu meetings which often didn't result in anything productive. Also it takes time to walk across the halls to go to the restroom and get coffee(more wasted time).

At home I could talk as loud as needed on conference calls and didn't have to worry about bothering coworkers. I also could put my phone on speaker at home and not wear a head phone (which is a hassle, IMO). Lastly, co-workers in the office are a distraction. I had someone across the cube in my last job that make a lot of personal calls and had many personal chit chats with co-workers. I couldn't believe all the time this person wasted on that and I had to make special effort to block out that noise.

Also at home I could fly to the bathroom and back in between conference calls. I mean run fast. Can't do this in an office - I might crash into someone and cause injuries.

My experience- I was probably 35% more productive working from home. Also worked weekends and late nights here and there much easier and would often login early in AM if I got up earlier than normal. Allowed me to get extra work done.

Old 07-08-2016, 09:54 AM

7,034 posts, read 14,474,847 times
As long as:

- Your employer is cool with it.
- You can handle your job on your own well and/or have convenient ways of getting in touch with your team.
- You have the discipline to handle it
- You don't feel isolated working by yourself (or maybe go to a library or cafe if you feel that way)

Then go for it.

Old 07-08-2016, 02:24 PM

925 posts, read 1,333,077 times
Depends on the work you do and company culture.

If you work at a good high tech firm, its prob better to work colocated since you can learn more rapidly. If you are working in a place with alot of politics/bored people and old tech, its better to be at home.

Old 07-08-2016, 02:53 PM

1,752 posts, read 3,752,036 times
I worked from home a few times a week and loved it. In fact, I was able to work from "home" at my parent's house 2000 miles away during the holiday season. With the office being closed a few days between Xmas and NYE, I was able to visit them and not use any PTO. I worked in my childhood bedroom, but my parents didn't think I was working! I would be working, on the phone at that, when I would hear from downstairs "Are you coming down for dinner??"

The first time I had to make a phone call I heard "WHAT DID YOU SAY?"

I had to tell them that I was at work and wasn't talking to them. It was funny now, but I wonder if my clients heard. Similarly, I had a coworker work from home with his barking dog. He said he hated because all the callers would ask "is there a DOG in the office?"

Old 07-08-2016, 02:58 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,134,340 times
I've had three businesses in 25 years. Folded one, sold one, and now on #3. I learned some great lessons and choose to work out of my house. I have a large basement and use subcontractors for everything. One person, my assistant, comes to my basement and works three days a week. Because my business has grown since I acquired it at the beginning of 2015, I am currently renovating an outbuilding into an office. I like it this way, because I'm a few years from retiring and want to keep my overhead low. I'm done with empire building.

It's not for everyone. I'll say that. You have to be a disciplined, task-driven person. So here are my thoughts:

1) Treat your workday the way you would if you went to an office. That means be up and dressed and at your desk at 8 or 8:30 every morning. Take one hour for lunch. Knock off at 5 or 6 if you can. Where a lot of the self-employed mess up is that they don't get around to work until 9 or 10, take two hours lunch with their friends, screw around some more, then knock off at 3. Do not ever fall into this trap. You have to be available when your clients need you.

2) As a corollary to #1, get your housework done before or after your working hours.

3) If you have kids, pay some college kid to watch them between 3 pm and 5 pm every day. Otherwise, the end of your day is shot.

4) All that being said, enjoy working from home. You'll be surprised at how much more productive you can be if you're not distracted by endless meetings or somebody buzzing by your office to gossip. Give me two cups of coffee and a bowl of Cap'n Crunch in the morning, and I can get a LOT done just off the caffeine and sugar buzz.

5) People in your life will think that, just because you work from home, you aren't working. To this day, my 83-year-old mother still calls me two or three times a week at 9:45 or 10 to ask me some inconsequential thing. Mind you, I love my mother. But when see your elderly mother's name on caller ID, you are almost morally bound to pick up.

6) Get out at least once a day. Go to at least one business meeting once a week. You're working at home. You're not a monk. Getting out keeps you tethered to reality.

7) Keep your new business pipeline full. I'm lucky that I've been around for a while, so clients have a way of finding me. But I still pick up the phone and make 2-3 new biz calls a week. Don't get me wrong. I hate doing it. I'm not cut out for selling. So instead of acting like I'm selling aluminum siding or whole life policies, I instead just network with people and wind up talking about their businesses. Then hiring my company becomes their idea, not mine.

8) Yeah, you need to work a full day. But working from home also gives you a little flexibility in your life. So it's totally okay to go to your kid's soccer game or violin lessons. That's kind of the point behind it, right?

9) Keep all your receipts. Every damned one of them.

Old 07-10-2016, 10:35 AM

88,512 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadingedge04 View Post
I worked from home a few times a week and loved it. In fact, I was able to work from "home" at my parent's house 2000 miles away during the holiday season. With the office being closed a few days between Xmas and NYE, I was able to visit them and not use any PTO. I worked in my childhood bedroom, but my parents didn't think I was working! I would be working, on the phone at that, when I would hear from downstairs "Are you coming down for dinner??"

The first time I had to make a phone call I heard "WHAT DID YOU SAY?"

I had to tell them that I was at work and wasn't talking to them. It was funny now, but I wonder if my clients heard. Similarly, I had a coworker work from home with his barking dog. He said he hated because all the callers would ask "is there a DOG in the office?"
I remember reading about a woman with a young child who worked from home. One of her friends pointed out that in the background of her business voice mail greeting you can hear a voice saying, "Mommy, I have to pee."

I had to deal with a lawyer last year working from home and you could always hear her kids in the background.

Old 08-03-2016, 08:50 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,744,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
But if you are single/live alone, you run the risk of being alone day and night. You have to be sure to make a concerted effort to get out of the house at some point during the day and to make plans for the weekends and occasionally at night or even for lunch.
If I was going to work from home, I won't be at "home" for some time. I can bring my laptop to a Starbucks for my morning brew then I can hit the beach (only the beach part if I was living in SoCal)

Old 08-04-2016, 09:41 AM

4 posts, read 5,526 times
I'm sure it depends on your personality. Personally, I am very introverted and prefer my bubble. I get along well with all my colleagues, but many times I just want to hide in my cube and not be bothered.

Recently our new contract began allowing one telework day per week per employee. I chose Mondays, and it has been the most wonderful thing ever to happen. I LOVE not technically going to work on Mondays anymore. I am not a morning person by any stretch of the imagination, but I have a daily conference call at 8:30 AM that ensures I get out of bed in a timely manner. I actually tend to get more work done at home not having the distractions of someone in my cube every few minutes, or having to get up for meetings every few hours. I can just call in and not have to leave my desk. Plus when the meeting is no longer pertinent, I can just put them on speakerphone and continue working.

Another perk is being able to keep up with laundry, or take a break and do the dishes. I enjoy taking a break to clean, and it feels a lot less stressful than having to come home and do it after 9 hours of work. Lunch breaks I usually hop on my computer to play a video game, and I can blast music all day without having to wear headphones. Phenomenal.

It's also not like I am not social. I chat with coworkers all day long. I am just not necessarily social face to face.

I absolutely love the day at home, and know for a fact I wouldn't have a single problem doing it every day of the week. It is my hope one day to reach that goal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment