Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2016, 10:23 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,267,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denver303TJC View Post
Thanks, Daniel! Sorry for my late reply, I was on vacation. I got a BA degree in Economics, so would there be any chance that I could get credit for the general courses which I had to take back then, which my chance may ALSO be required for a CS degree? (I.e. if a BA in CPU Science requires electives in history, and I had already taken history classes when I got my Bachelors in Econ)? Not sure if it would transfer, per se, but if so, that'd be helpful.

If I went the college route (after proving I had the interest and aptitude), would an Associate's suffice, or should I go for the BA? I am also considering going to the community college near me for a Programmer's certification, which, if led to an entry-level job would be great for classes at night. I have lived in TX for a year, so I would qualify for resident tuition, which would definitely be helpful. Thanks again, I'll confirm that I truly have the aptitude and interest in it, then apply at the community college for the programmer certification course.
Your core classes like history would very likely transfer. I transferred a lot of credits of a biology degree to another degree in CS at a different school. I was always told that economics was quite challenging so kudos to you for that accomplishment. I am in Tx as well.

As for an associates, that depends. A lot of people find work with that. But for real, a BS or BA will open exponentially more doors. When I went back for CS, I constantly ran into people who were non-degreed programmers but were coming back for a degree because it would help them advance in their career. Also there were plenty of people with non-cs undergrad degrees who took a year of CS leveling classes and then completed a MS in CS. Furthermore, you can also find a handful online BS programs from real brick and mortar schools. There's a lot of different options, and I hope you find one that suits your needs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2016, 09:41 PM

2,151 posts, read 1,355,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoStars View Post
NOt every company is outsourcing tech jobs. Any one who complains about outsourcing probably had a bad experience in the tech field and working for some cut throat companies however I believe there are plenty of companies that will still need programmers and tech guys some companies actually value them alot. Not everyone wants to be outsourcing its expensive. Some companies treat their tech like **** while other treat them very hansomely
This is a good point.

The reality is that there are only so many skilled people in the technology field compared to the vast need. And lower level jobs like helpdesk and SQL developer are not where you should focus. They might be a starting point, but like any other low level jobs, the next guy entering the field will become your competition.

Old 07-05-2016, 07:58 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,481,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDoPhysicsPhD View Post
.. SQL developer are not where you should focus. ...
Getting into SQL development and focusing on backend such as database reporting(business intelligence), data integration or big data is a good thing to focus on. It's growing and in-demand and the pay is good.

OP - What is the difference in time/money invested in education if you get a MS degree versus going backwards to get the certificate(as the other poster said, and I agree that getting a certificate is going backwards. Why do that if you already have a 4 year degree).

I think the Masters degree will be much better for you long term since you already have a 4 year degree. Either do the masters or check into what is needed to get a 2nd bachelors in CIS, IS or CS. Put a list together of all courses you will need to take to get 1) 2nd bachelors versus 2) MS. A lot depends on how many courses already count toward the 2nd bachelors.

I think the MS will be your best bet.

BTW - I am a developer with BS in Comp Sci. I LOVE the work. It's fun work for me and has been like this for many years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment