Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2016, 09:17 AM

1,160 posts, read 708,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApePeeD View Post
Oh, that's DEFINITELY going to get you out of the rat race of debt and servitude.
hey, teachers make a decent wage relative to work hours and educational requirements.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2016, 09:24 AM
SQL

1,337 posts, read 1,186,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
My son lives in Pittsburgh which is a real up and coming place.
His nice home was 115,000 - a brick single.
He has purchased 3 properties to rent out for between 35k and 70K.
When will people have the mental wherewithal to realize that not everyone lives in a has-been, rust belt, Midwest city where you can buy dirt cheap property?

When I graduated from college in 2008, I lived in Metro Detroit. I could not, for the life of me, find a job. I had to move out of state. The region I now live in has a booming economy, and an even more thriving housing market. The MEDIAN home value is $400k here. I was fortunate to find a 2BR/2BA condo for $180k. And despite the housing market chaos, the average salaries are still out of balance here.

So NO, not everyone lives in a podunk area where you can buy A LOT of house for a LITTLE bit of money. My mortgage payment is more than my father's (in suburban Detroit), and he has a 5BR/2.5BA house, w/ attached garage and a double lot.

Last edited by SQL; 06-30-2016 at 09:44 AM..

Old 06-30-2016, 09:36 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,165 posts, read 80,278,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Seriously? No. Add to your list: Seattle, the entire San Francisco Bay Area and the Central Coast of CA. OK, the north coast, as well, Portland, San Diego, Santa Fe, NM, and I'm guessing--Phoenix, as well, and Boston and DC. We can add Bellingham and Olympia, WA, too. There are probably places in Arkansas, Tennessee, West Virginia and Mississippi that fit the bill, though....
I was very surprised to see a home in our neighborhood stay on the market for over 2 weeks, so I looked it up. It was only 1,200 sf, and despite the 12,000 sf lot, the back yard consisted of a large deck and a steeply sloped, wooded (unusable) are below it. The price was well below average at $499,999 but I understood why after looking at the listing. It still sold fairly fast, in the 3rd week. The largest development of new homes in our city (about 150) is under construction with homes 4,000+ sf on small lots starting at $1.1 million. I passed by last night and several of them barely past the framing stage have "sold" signs on them. Many people working in offices are well rewarded for their efforts.

Old 06-30-2016, 09:53 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,892,304 times
The problem with areas with cheap housing is that chances are you won't be able to find a job that pays enough to buy even the cheap house. Either that or you will have a long distance commute.

Old 06-30-2016, 10:01 AM
SQL

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
The problem with areas with cheap housing is that chances are you won't be able to find a job that pays enough to buy even the cheap house. Either that or you will have a long distance commute.
Exactly this!

People just don't think. It doesn't surprise me. I.e. Brexit and Trump winning the nomination.

Old 06-30-2016, 10:54 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,312,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
My dad always complained about living in the city. He always wanted to move upstate or to the middle of no where. Then he would tell me to get out of the city as well.

"So why don't you?" I would ask him.

"No jobs."

"So how do you expect me to find a job?"

The economy sucks where we used to go upstate and the jobs pay like garbage. If you're in health care for example, the closest hospital might be over an hour away. I guess if you love commuting and spending time in the car in order to have cheap housing then you might do it.

Back to the OP, I don't really agree, but my current work environment is a dream compared to my previous two jobs.

Old 06-30-2016, 11:28 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,892,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
My dad always complained about living in the city. He always wanted to move upstate or to the middle of no where. Then he would tell me to get out of the city as well.

"So why don't you?" I would ask him.

"No jobs."

"So how do you expect me to find a job?"

The economy sucks where we used to go upstate and the jobs pay like garbage. If you're in health care for example, the closest hospital might be over an hour away. I guess if you love commuting and spending time in the car in order to have cheap housing then you might do it.

Back to the OP, I don't really agree, but my current work environment is a dream compared to my previous two jobs.
That's right. These days you have to make your money in the city. Maybe retire to one of those rural places.

Old 06-30-2016, 12:54 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,033,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SQL View Post
My GF and I have seriously discussed just calling it quits on this so-called American dream, packing up our lives, and moving to a beach resort in Central or South America. Neither of us really care about materialistic things. We both just want a chill life where we can enjoy most of our free time.
How will you pay your rent, food, healthcare and those are the most basic needs.

Old 06-30-2016, 01:01 PM
SQL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
How will you pay your rent, food, healthcare and those are the most basic needs.
We'd still work, but less hours and at a less stressful job like at a resort (i.e. resort staff, bartender on the beach, etc.). All we'd need is money for food, drink, and housing, which is fairly cheap in most of those regions.

Old 06-30-2016, 01:13 PM

88,089 posts, read 83,946,203 times
There are articles out there about moving to other countries. Usually they have requirements; for example, you have to have a certain income.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment