Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2016, 06:16 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,884,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Talk about hyperbole. No grand assumption was made.

Two hours away is not "literally" my backyard. Look up the word literally sometime. It does not mean figuratively. South Jersey is not representative of NJ, and Vineland is a crime-ridden dump. Yes, you can find cheap houses there. I did not have that kind of town in mind. Sorry if I wasn't clear about standards.
You literally said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801
I doubt there are places in this country where someone could buy a house for $150K
Look up facts on Trulia sometime.

There are LITERALLY THOUSANDS of properties all over NJ <$150K. (I didn't filter out lots/foreclosures everywhere)

There are even 2 in Basking Ridge where I used to work.

Funny you ignored my other one Freehold. MONMOUTH COUNTY. NORTH JERSEY. >700 properties.

Literally full of NYC commuters.

Random Trulia Searches <$150K

Atlantic County - 2195
Exxex County - 1160
Passaic County - 549
Union County - 523
Morris County - 293
Bergen County - 414
Sussex County - 805
Monroe Twp - 67
Somerset County - 175
Cape May County- 947
Egg Harbor Twp - 242
Toms River - 257
Blairstown/Harwick - 30
Princeton - 9
Frenchtown - 15
Bridgewater - 15
Bedminster - 10
Lawrenceville - 20
Paterson - 315
Mount Laurel - 125
Jersey City/Bayonne - 250
Fort Lee - 100
Plainfield(s) - 200
Sussex - 100

So yeah, LITERALLY enough in your back yard.

And this is AFTER all qualified buyers had many years to go out picking the best of them. This is round two at a higher price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2016, 07:04 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,884,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Lol, I never said maybe you'd have to go to another country. Silly.

I honestly did not think there were many places in this country where $150k would buy a SINGLE FAMILY HOUSE. Some posters showed me examples. I live in Monmouth County, in a town with no schools, no police, no fire department, a 942 s.f. condo that I paid 180k for in 2010 and is worth maybe $160 now. My taxes are $4800.

I did just look up Freehold on Realtor. (20 minutes west of me). All the properties under $150k are either condos or "mobile" homes with the exception of one 1221 3 BR 1 BA s.f. sfh for $140k. So technically, yes, you are quite right, but those are not the types of structures people with families are usually looking for when they say they want to buy a house. I just retired from a job in the city and it took me two hours each way by train every day, so we are at the outer limits of the NYC commute here.
That's extra funny you ignored the Freehold when it was RIGHT WITH the Vineland and it IS LITERALLY in your "back yard" county of Monmouth.

I said Trulia, not Realtor dot com.

There are more than that but now you changed the straw man to:

Single Family Detached for a FAMILY. IN NORTH JERSEY.

True there are only a couple in Freehold specifically that meet that criteria but that is a far cry from NOTHING IN THE COUNTRY [OR NEW JERSEY.]

And while it may not meet your ~standards, yes shockingly people still do buy manufactured houses. Instead of moving to, say, Equador.

And they even move to The Villages in Freehold when retiring (gasp).

Your condo will probably come back to 2010 prices but it'll take years. NJ is sagging because there are still lots of foreclosures. And people not in foreclosure still aren't able to sell because it'll be a loss - still upside down.

You bought before the bottom of the market, and it's one of the worst commutes to the city considering how close it is...on top of it! Yikes. So you're kinda stuck.

But it'll be great getting your life back now!

Old 07-10-2016, 05:08 PM

1,193 posts, read 1,025,244 times
Not to me and been loving it since 2013.

1. Control the flow of my day
2. Can text or access the internet all throughout the day to have a nice work balance
3. The work day can fly by if you have a lot of work to do
4. My work is spread out over the course of five days

So I don't get the slavery, elementary school or prison reference.

Old 07-10-2016, 05:36 PM

7,427 posts, read 4,671,611 times
I would rather call it mortgage slavery. Because after you finish your mortgage, life work becomes a breeze.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment