Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2016, 11:32 AM

429 posts, read 390,779 times

Advertisements

after 3 weeks it's not worth it for me to "report them" and get into some drama. And what exactly is the labor dept going to do? You think I want to be in the local papers? NO. My energy would be better spent looking for more suitable work. Again, once eating, we were NOT off the clock. I can't do interrupted meals as I already stated. As far as an employer being able to restrict where somebody goes while at lunch, please clarify this. I don't know any law or case law that upholds that. Not in New York state. I'm not asking for advice on how to handle it. I already did. I quit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2016, 11:46 AM

13,284 posts, read 8,449,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
If you felt that the place was burning you out after just a couple weeks, then yes it was a good decision.

I'll just add that when I see people I train take down notes, I always tell them to stop taking notes and actually listen to me. I'd rather my guys understand the process than trying to mimic. Trust me, everything we do makes sense. If something doesn't make sense, we cut it out of the process.

Also, in my experience, the most stressful time for a new employee is the first 2-3 weeks. This is why I give all my new guys a clean slate on the 4th or 5th week.
That may be YOUR style, Yet I have often been a note taker along with the hands on practice til the skills mastered. Its a weak management skill to not be able to cross train using the employees basic learning style.
Some learn via visual, tactile, auditory...pick and chose accordingly.

I worked in an ISO certified environment, the best thing was being able to go to the manual and step by step assess the process and implement it.

OP- You were right to leave, training for a specific proprietary program is on the business.

Old 07-02-2016, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
That may be YOUR style, Yet I have often been a note taker along with the hands on practice til the skills mastered. Its a weak management skill to not be able to cross train using the employees basic learning style.

I worked in an ISO certified environment, the best thing was being able to go to the manual and step by step assess the process and implement it.

OP- You were right to leave, training for a specific proprietary program is on the business.
Not receiving the proper training means I can't perform my duties. They really weren't paying me enough for me to pay for tutorials for the software. The company that makes it does provide tutorials and training. It's really the business's responsibility to train people properly so they can do their job. Isn't that what managers are supposed to do? If you can't train yourself, hire the software company's trainer for a week to spend 40 hours with new employees doing nothing but training and maybe incorporate some duties into the training. In the other fields I've worked in, companies had no problem spending the $ and time to give new people the needed training. This company was just cheap..

Old 07-02-2016, 12:05 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,784,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canaletto 1697 View Post
I'm not asking for advice on how to handle it. I already did. I quit.
(Slow clap)

Old 07-02-2016, 12:17 PM

the idea was to use that sweatshop as a survival job while I continue looking for suitable work. I was willing to put up with all of the negative conditions for a while at least, even the lack of meal period. The kiss of death came with the lack of training on the software that would ensure I do my job duties. It seemed they wanted me to learn on my own time and with my own money. After working 10 hours a day where do I find the time after work to do this? It took an hour to commute there and back, with a toll to pay of $16 per day. This combined with no meal breaks, it was a deal breaker.

Old 07-02-2016, 12:22 PM

1,352 posts, read 1,530,898 times
Quote:
after 3 weeks it's not worth it for me to "report them" and get into some drama. And what exactly is the labor dept going to do? You think I want to be in the local papers? NO. My energy would be better spent looking for more suitable work. Again, once eating, we were NOT off the clock. I can't do interrupted meals as I already stated. As far as an employer being able to restrict where somebody goes while at lunch, please clarify this. I don't know any law or case law that upholds that. Not in New York state. I'm not asking for advice on how to handle it. I already did. I quit.
I doubt you would be in the local papers for a work complaint. The labor dept may send an investigator in to look at their records maybe talk to other employees. As far as you last check, if they don't pay you that's a labor board complaint.

Old 07-02-2016, 02:33 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,164,079 times
Quote:
I doubt it will have any affect on you. If you can't leave, and have to stop eating to help customers, that's not a break.

Old 07-02-2016, 04:48 PM

6,393 posts, read 4,113,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post

I work in management. All the new guys I train are destined to be managers. As construction managers, I need them to be able to always be on their toes, always be on top of things, know how to do their own research, and make on-the-spot sound decisions. This is part of the reason why I don't want them to take notes. I wouls rather they understand the process than memorize it.

If they cannot understand the process without taking notes, then how can I trust them to manage a project on their own?

Old 07-02-2016, 05:24 PM

1,871 posts, read 4,266,129 times
Quote:
I work in management. All the new guys I train are destined to be managers. As construction managers, I need them to be able to always be on their toes, always be on top of things, know how to do their own research, and make on-the-spot sound decisions. This is part of the reason why I don't want them to take notes. I wouls rather they understand the process than memorize it.

If they cannot understand the process without taking notes, then how can I trust them to manage a project on their own?
If you don't want them to take notes then you need to provide them with documentation. I've been a manger for several years and I've learned that it's far better for employees to reference that unless you want them to ask questions all day. That, or you have to be comfortable with them screwing things up all the time.

Old 07-02-2016, 06:40 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,211,406 times
Quote:
If you felt that the place was burning you out after just a couple weeks, then yes it was a good decision.

I'll just add that when I see people I train take down notes, I always tell them to stop taking notes and actually listen to me. I'd rather my guys understand the process than trying to mimic. Trust me, everything we do makes sense. If something doesn't make sense, we cut it out of the process.

Also, in my experience, the most stressful time for a new employee is the first 2-3 weeks. This is why I give all my new guys a clean slate on the 4th or 5th week.
Obviously the OP has written about his/her own experience.
Personally, I learn by doing hands on, not getting that, I'd be writing step by step instructions too.
The OP needed some supportive training that wasn't happening. Sounds like a crap company OP...hope you land a better job soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment