Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2016, 08:21 AM

732 posts, read 968,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GritsCode View Post
Hmm

Where did I say or even implied such a thing?

You sure do love to make up things
Exactly what you are implying that IT does everything and solve everything so everyone should just go to IT and all problems in the US and world will all be solved. Something along those exact lines seem to be the reasoning. There seems to be a lot of that reasoning out there too, just everyone go to IT so it isn't just you. The push is convert everyone to IT and dump, fire, get rid of all other fields and work (offshore those). That "get rid of" includes engineers, scientists, R&D, etc (but of course not IT).

Last edited by TestEngr; 07-23-2016 at 08:30 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2016, 08:25 AM

1,430 posts, read 1,085,714 times
Quote:
Kodak was mainly a dying company because they were mostly dependent on a dying technology - FILM and Film cameras. Nowadays cameras are mostly digital
That is partly true, but Kodak invented the digital camera and were the best selling digital cameras early on. They still make money from patents.

Foreign companies like Fuji, didn't and don't have the labor costs and regulations that US companies like Kodak have. The Clinton administration would ultimately squander that American piece of the pie.

The Obama administration permits Japan to export twice the film,cars,cameras etc to the US versus
what the US imports.
https://www.census.gov/foreign-trade/balance/c5880.html

This helps move engineering jobs from the US to elsewhere.

Old 07-23-2016, 08:35 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,115,529 times
Quote:
[snip]

Pruzhany and I are talking about a very specific field (Security Engineer) that requires a certain skill set. It is a field that requires a high degree of techincal knowledge in many different areas with certs. Funds play a huge part in the equation as certs+training is quite expensive. There is a shortage of qualified people with certs for this job. It's been this way for years and only getting worse. It is a worldwide issue.

[snip]

I have my own skillset in cybersecurity, as I have to combat PC file hacking or stealing, internet denial, and funny stuff going on my PC or Macbook Air at every public wifi place I go. So public wifi is dangerous, because I've encountered IP mimicking / PC spoofing, erasing / snooping / stealing my files, controlling my PC, attempts to mess up my OS, messing up my battery time, internet and Steam denial, throttling, etc... And I had to self-figure / hack things out because I'm partly a WHITE HAT hacker, andI got good enough PC, OS, programming, and web knowledge too.

Secretly, I think the boom in cybersecurity personnel is to hire them for SECRET government internet spying, messing up your computer, and denial of service at every wifi place around America and in every public library. Maybe they are even spying and messing up your home computer system's wifi, too, since why did Best Buy advertise Geek Squad to help with home wifi problems? It's a secret government agenda to control people's interneting and PC usage everywhere. Like there is a secret conspiracy everywhere to get rid of public power outlets at nearly every public wifi place there is, so laptops have to rely on limited battery power. Then almost all modern laptops at Best Buy have no removable battery. And there are secret "in the know" people who can disable / mess up your PC with their smartphone or copy of Visual Studio. - I know, I "snowed them out" when they tried to affect my PC or I foiled their attempts or whatever...

One million cybersecurity job-openings in 2016/ Forbes

High paying cybersecurity jobs go begging across the-world/ Fortune

This is not a case of companies hiring foreigners over citizens. There are countless jobs in the private, public and government sector that have remain unfilled for months. Salaries for such jobs are not low at all. Companies are almost fighting over people who have the proper training/certs by offering them jobs easily starting at $85k+ with full benefits.
These cybersecurity jobs I suspect are stupid silly games of internet denial, messing up your computer or wifi, and a secret NSA people spying government agenda. Why did Edward Snowden turn on the NSA huh? It's time to "put the snow" on the truth of the extreme need for "cybersecurity."

Quote:
Originally Posted by TestEngr View Post
I thought the topic was engineering not IT?

+1 to pappjohn and JTE1969 who are telling like it is for the topic of the thread! The politicians of all backgrounds elected have done nothing but bad for engineering in the USA.
Sorry, the extreme outsourcing of American jobs first started in IT. I had somewhat gradually seen or suspected that it is now extremely affecting all the various kinds of engineers.

Quote:
What do you call a Software Engineer? Security Engineer? Computer Engineer?

Pruzhany and my post was about Security Engineers, a field that is hot and has a shortage. Engineers work in many different areas including IT.
Security Engineers... Important to keep your company DB data of credit card info, and other sensitive info, - SAFE, but not for SECRET GOV NSA PEOPLE COMPUTER SPYING AND PC DENIAL OF SERVICE, - THAT IS BUNK! BECAUSE THE USA / NSA WANTS TO SPY ON EVERY EMAIL AND COMPUTER OUT THERE, THAT IS MAYBE WHY "CYBERSECURITY IS HOT..." JUST THINK OF EDWARD SNOWDEN, OK?

Last edited by PJSaturn; 07-23-2016 at 08:57 AM..

Old 07-23-2016, 08:36 AM

299 posts, read 186,942 times
Quote:
Exactly what you are implying that IT does everything and solve everything so everyone should just go to IT and all problems in the US and world will all be solved.
Who said IT does everything and solve everything? Who said everyone should go to IT?

Quote:
Something along those exact lines seem to be the reasoning. There seems to be a lot of that reasoning out there too, just everyone go to IT so it isn't just you. The push is convert everyone to IT and dump, fire, get rid of all other fields and work (offshore those) and that "get rid of" includes engineers, scientists, R&D, etc (but of course not IT).
Again I ask who said all this?

Old 07-23-2016, 08:41 AM

Quote:

Again I ask who said all this?

Quote:
While some engineering fields aren't so hot lately. The position of Security Engineer/cybersecurity is red hot.
You exactly you! All you are doing is saying everyone go to IT and all problems solved. I think your implication is exactly that because you are saying it. I don't know your background but it sounds all IT, the thread is about engineering. IT is NOT engineering.

Old 07-23-2016, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTE1969 View Post
Security Engineers... Important to keep your company DB data of credit card info, and other sensitive info, - SAFE, but not for SECRET GOV NSA PEOPLE COMPUTER SPYING AND PC DENIAL OF SERVICE, - THAT IS BUNK! BECAUSE THE USA / NSA WANTS TO SPY ON EVERY EMAIL AND COMPUTER OUT THERE, THAT IS MAYBE WHY "CYBERSECURITY IS HOT..." JUST THINK OF EDWARD SNOWDEN, OK?
You obviously don't know what Security Engineers do everyday. Cybersecurity is hot for many reasons including countless companies worldwide being hacked by hackers costing millions. Data including people indentity is being stolen from companies everyday

Old 07-23-2016, 08:51 AM

Quote:
You exactly you! All you are doing is saying everyone go to IT and all problems solved. I think your implication is exactly that because you are saying it. I don't know your background but it sounds all IT, the thread is about engineering. IT is NOT engineering.
I asked you before to quote exactly where I said everyone go to IT and all problems will be solved. Quote where I said IT does and solve everything. Exactly you don't know my background. This thread is "Why is job market so bad for engineers?" Myself and few other posts are about Security Engineers. As stated before engineers work in many different areas including IT.

Old 07-23-2016, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTE1969 View Post

Sorry, the extreme outsourcing of American jobs first started in IT. I had somewhat gradually seen or suspected that it is now extremely affecting all the various kinds of engineers.

I dunno about that. A company I did work for years, started with 5 engineers, 1 IT person to install and look at licenses, 2 people in finance/executive. I am out of the picture there, but they have 10 or 15 IT people and maybe 3 engineers left although to be honest they really aren't doing engineering. They had no outsourcing of IT, they hired and hired and hired IT for ten years while getting rid of engineers especially the ones doing actual engineering. All I see is companies firing engineers and hiring IT, they won't support engineering anymore most places. But I notice no new products, just milking money on some old designs.

Old 07-23-2016, 08:52 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,730,816 times
Quote:
What do you call a Software Engineer? Security Engineer? Computer Engineer?

Pruzhany and my post was about Security Engineers, a field that is hot and has a shortage. Engineers work in many different areas including IT.

He doesn't know that back in the 80's Computer Engineers were a extension of Electrical Engineers instead of it's own path. Thus for his sake I'm an Electrical Engineer with a minor in Computers. He doesn't seem to understand one can no longer survive in the current economy only wearing one Hat. One has to where multiple Hats to be marketable and thus hit the compensation level where they should be at at not at the current level where it's sitting where it was in the 80's.

Old 07-23-2016, 08:54 AM

Quote:
I asked you before to quote exactly where I said everyone go to IT and all problems will be solved. Quote where I said IT does and solve everything. Exactly you don't know my background. This thread is "Why is job market so bad for engineers?" My post and few other posts are about Security Engineers. As stated before engineers work in many different areas including IT.
Ii isn't about what I like and don't like. IT is NOT engineering. It never has been and you shouldn't imply that it is. I know people in cyber security, top pros in field in the government with highest government clearance, and former classmates having top degrees. But they would never say what you are saying that cyber security is engineering. So no, the people in the field I know who are top notch don't say what you are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment