Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2016, 10:42 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,896,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by renter16 View Post
I;m talking about quick text messages between my 15 min breaks and lunch breaks. I have to much work to text all day long and on wednesdays I can only text on my lunch break because it's my busiest day of the week.
That's not what you said. You said:

Quote:
And in addition to that I'm texting throughout the day while I am working which is something you can't do if you are a

waitress/waiter
store clerk
cashier
janitor
trashman
mailman
Quote:
I said throughout the day which is every hour or so which is a good balance for work.

Nothing stopping these people, either, from just a couple of texts which you're trying to say, now.

Why do you need to be doing PERSONAL BUSINESS at all when you're being paid to be working?

LOL why couldn't a mailman TEXT? They're in the truck all day doing their thing.

Just not as much as you do , obviously.

Just because you're hidden in a cube doesn't make it right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2016, 10:48 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,923,893 times
Just imagine having a job where you're working constantly the entire time you're there unless on lunch or break. Office cubicle workers don't know how good they have it.

Old 07-11-2016, 11:04 AM

1,637 posts, read 1,346,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
Just imagine having a job where you're working constantly the entire time you're there unless on lunch or break. Office cubicle workers don't know how good they have it.
9 to 5 hours
Air conditioning.
Comfy Chair
Free coffee
City data browsing
lol
Some people take things for granted

Old 07-11-2016, 11:23 AM

4,295 posts, read 2,765,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dumb View Post
Sorry, but I can't empathize. Open office plans drive me crazy. I miss my old animal pen. I was happier than a pig in its own... hay.
Same here. I don't like being a "focal point" in an office. Front desks are my worst nightmare.

Old 07-11-2016, 02:06 PM

1,145 posts, read 4,212,916 times
I enjoy cubicle life. Unfortunately, we are moving to an open work space in a few months and I know I’m going to miss the privacy of my cubicle.

Overall, I’m happy with desk work. Getting paid to sit in a comfortable chair in front of a computer is something I’ll gladly take.

Old 07-11-2016, 06:43 PM

1,193 posts, read 1,025,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
That's not what you said. You said:

Nothing stopping these people, either, from just a couple of texts which you're trying to say, now.

Why do you need to be doing PERSONAL BUSINESS at all when you're being paid to be working?

LOL why couldn't a mailman TEXT? They're in the truck all day doing their thing.

Just not as much as you do , obviously.

Just because you're hidden in a cube doesn't make it right.

No one is working non stop all day long who works in a office.

Old 07-12-2016, 06:23 AM

772 posts, read 914,057 times
Go get a blue collar job then ... you'll see what "real" work it then. ..

Old 07-14-2016, 07:33 PM

2,924 posts, read 1,587,826 times
I have ADHD so I likely would if there without moving much ALL DAY.

Old 07-14-2016, 10:45 PM

1,115 posts, read 2,498,243 times
Yes, I get extremely antsy and sometimes it gets so bad I just have to get up and go take a 20 minute walk somewhere. Fortunately I can usually get away with at least one of these per day, but I know others may not be so lucky.

One thing I will mention is that the size of the company really matters. I don't mind cubes so much at very large companies because I often found that the large size of the office got me walking around quite a bit during the day. Multiple floors and using the stairs, having to walk across the building to get work to other departments, longer trips to get to the bathroom, company kitchen, or whatever. Now I work at a very small company (12 employees) and it is absolutely terrible. The bathroom, just a room away. The kitchen, just a room away. My co-workers and other departments? Either next to me, or just a room away. Need to make a copy or send a fax, just a room away. THERE IS NO WHERE TO GO. It drives me crazy.

Old 07-14-2016, 10:50 PM

1,193 posts, read 1,025,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_grimace View Post
Yes, I get extremely antsy and sometimes it gets so bad I just have to get up and go take a 20 minute walk somewhere. Fortunately I can usually get away with at least one of these per day, but I know others may not be so lucky.

One thing I will mention is that the size of the company really matters. I don't mind cubes so much at very large companies because I often found that the large size of the office got me walking around quite a bit during the day. Multiple floors and using the stairs, having to walk across the building to get work to other departments, longer trips to get to the bathroom, company kitchen, or whatever. Now I work at a very small company (12 employees) and it is absolutely terrible. The bathroom, just a room away. The kitchen, just a room away. My co-workers and other departments? Either next to me, or just a room away. Need to make a copy or send a fax, just a room away. THERE IS NO WHERE TO GO. It drives me crazy.
How bout actually working while you are in the cubicle? I have plenty of work to keep me busy all day oin my cube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment