Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2016, 09:26 PM

18,492 posts, read 9,161,666 times

Advertisements

I feel the same way. Then again, it's better than working outside in extreme heat/cold or in a dangerous environment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2016, 09:36 PM

1,193 posts, read 1,025,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelinLow View Post
Did it once for 3 months and hated it. Sitting all day was absolutely the most tiring and boring experience. Thank God 15 people got laid off and I was one of them
My passion is driving out in the country and burbs, seeing patients in their homes and delivering flowers on the weekend. Getting paid to be happy.
Fresh air, sunshine, autumn leaves, even snow beats imprisonment in a cubicle.
why was it boring? you didn't have work to do? I'm sure they were not paying you to sit there and do nothing all day.

Old 07-08-2016, 09:50 AM

264 posts, read 250,496 times
I feel the same. The only thing I've found that helps is taking a walk outside on my breaks. :/

Old 07-08-2016, 01:31 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,630,343 times
If I'm gonna work in an office I'd prefer a cubicle but not too small. I did in fact work in accounting for 20 years and at
age 63 I retired early one reason was I couldn't stand that boxed up feeling for 8 hours! I liked the work but just felt so boxed in.

Old 07-08-2016, 05:15 PM

219 posts, read 162,989 times
When I was in an office (never had just a cubicle) I did not get antsy but I had to get up to walk to others offices often. However, now that I work at home I get incredibly antsy as I don't get up to go talk to anyone, I can only email or call, and I notice chores around the house that need to be done.

Old 07-08-2016, 06:15 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,269,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel Pie View Post
I start feeling antsy being "locked" up in a cubicle all day. Starting next Monday I will be working 9 hours and I can't take being stuck in a box. I guess office work is not for me. I feel like an animal in its pen. The person who invented cubicles needs to be slapped. LOL I feel like when lunch time comes around the gates open to let me out, then come back and the "gates" close until my next break then closes again until it is time to go home. I am just becoming so inpatient can't stand going to work but I have to.

Does anyone out there feel the same?
I am raising my hand. This was me. I used to get up often because I got the same antsy feeling quite frequently. Daily... no hourly in fact.

I utterly and abhorrently despise cubicles up to the tiniest sub atomic particle in my body. In fact, if you believe in the other worlds theory, and if you could somehow find every infinite perturbation and combination of me in other dimensions, you would find every last one of them despising cubicles just the same. That's how much I hate them. By the way, I remember reading somewhere that the original designer of the cubicle intended them to be fashionable furniture and not a method to efficiently cram more sardines into a can. I think 'abomination' is the word he used to describe how they are utilized in modern times.

I took a substantial pay cut to work at a place where I have an office. I need personal space. My blood pressure dropped to completely healthy levels (for real) and I feel a lot more relaxed now that I am no longer just another fish in a sea of misery.

Old 07-09-2016, 06:38 AM

106 posts, read 153,582 times
I work in a cubicle and it makes me incredibly depressed. That's why I'm breaking out and going to trade school. I start in a month. I'd rather do back breaking work any day. This is my first cubicle job and I lasted 9 months. That's long enough for me! I knew I wouldn't make it but gave it a chance because it was what my family needed at the time.

Old 07-09-2016, 07:13 AM

106 posts, read 153,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renter16 View Post
why was it boring? you didn't have work to do? I'm sure they were not paying you to sit there and do nothing all day.
Paperwork and sitting in front of a computer--not matter how busy it makes you--will always always be boring to me. Why did this person have to be sitting around doing nothing to be bored? Did it occur to you that some people prefer physical work over desk work? I love working with my hands and seeing the work that I do. Clicking buttons on a computer is so far off from that and it makes me absolutely nuts.

Old 07-09-2016, 08:59 AM

1,344 posts, read 4,764,865 times
I'm usually so busy at work I don't have time to really pay attention to my surroundings. Cube walls? Open plan? Whatever.

Old 07-09-2016, 10:41 AM

1,193 posts, read 1,025,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nature mama View Post
Paperwork and sitting in front of a computer--not matter how busy it makes you--will always always be boring to me. Why did this person have to be sitting around doing nothing to be bored? Did it occur to you that some people prefer physical work over desk work? I love working with my hands and seeing the work that I do. Clicking buttons on a computer is so far off from that and it makes me absolutely nuts.
Don't say you were bored just say it wasn't your type of work because it's hard to be bored when you have a lot to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment