Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2016, 07:12 AM

27 posts, read 33,359 times

Advertisements

I start feeling antsy being "locked" up in a cubicle all day. Starting next Monday I will be working 9 hours and I can't take being stuck in a box. I guess office work is not for me. I feel like an animal in its pen. The person who invented cubicles needs to be slapped. LOL I feel like when lunch time comes around the gates open to let me out, then come back and the "gates" close until my next break then closes again until it is time to go home. I am just becoming so inpatient can't stand going to work but I have to.

Does anyone out there feel the same?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2016, 07:18 AM

1,104 posts, read 919,241 times
Sorry, but I can't empathize. Open office plans drive me crazy. I miss my old animal pen. I was happier than a pig in its own... hay.

Old 07-07-2016, 07:21 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,347,350 times
The idea, just the idea of being in one place 9 to 5 every single day makes my skin crawl.

Then being locked up in the same building for more than 6 or 7 hours...even worse.

I don't know how y'all do it.

Old 07-07-2016, 07:27 AM

14 posts, read 11,554 times
Please watch the old 90s cult classic CLOCKWATCHERS- it described my life then, all cubicle, depression and generally the world of cubicles. It may be hard to find it on Netflix but I'm sure some torrent site will let you stream it.

Also, about a decade ago I've read about a research that indicated that workers who spend at lease 50% of their work day sitting at a desk, are more likely prone to depression and have shorter life spans (the latter had to do with developing cardio problems from sitting, so things like circulation and blood clotting...)
This resonates with me because when I did outside sales years ago, I truly felt my mood was just fine.

Old 07-07-2016, 07:36 AM

1,454 posts, read 1,943,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel Pie View Post
I start feeling antsy being "locked" up in a cubicle all day. Starting next Monday I will be working 9 hours and I can't take being stuck in a box. I guess office work is not for me. I feel like an animal in its pen. The person who invented cubicles needs to be slapped. LOL I feel like when lunch time comes around the gates open to let me out, then come back and the "gates" close until my next break then closes again until it is time to go home. I am just becoming so inpatient can't stand going to work but I have to.

Does anyone out there feel the same?
try getting up for a short walk every few hours - makes it more manageable; plus it's healthy to at least stand and stretch once an hour (just a minute or two)

Old 07-07-2016, 07:47 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,563 posts, read 81,131,933 times
I now have a roomy office with large window and great views, but have worked in both cubicle and open office situations before. I'll take the cube any day. Back then, as now, I will get up and walk around now and then, and always take a walk outside at lunchtime.

Old 07-07-2016, 08:13 AM

79 posts, read 71,447 times
Cubicles are much better than open offices. I need my privacy. I am lucky that I happen to work next to a window so it helps me feel less "trapped." But in general, desk jobs suck the big one.

Old 07-07-2016, 08:21 AM

1,511 posts, read 1,254,238 times
this is why i want to work from home 1-2 days a week. so i can go for a walk on my lunch break... or take a 10 min break and sit outside weather permitting of course... but i don't know if i'll ever find the opportunity.

Old 07-07-2016, 08:32 AM

96 posts, read 101,043 times
Give me a cubicle any day over an open office plan! At least in a cubicle, I have some level of privacy. God forbid if I have a lactose intolerance "attack" sitting in an open office area. ugh.

Old 07-07-2016, 08:58 AM

1,413 posts, read 1,291,062 times
I am also growing to despise sitting in a cubicle all day. As others have mentioned the open office environment is much worse (I've worked in both). That being said I personally generalize and say I hate sitting in an office all day, it just isn't for me. Staring at spreadsheets all day feels pointless sometimes, and I can just feel myself getting unhealthier sitting here like a blob. I'm far enough into my career that it would be difficult to make a change but I am contemplating it. I can't imagine doing this for another 25 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment