Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should high school kids be working while in high school?
Yes 109 76.76%
No 33 23.24%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2016, 01:09 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,114,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tassity22 View Post
It depends on whether or not he needs the money. Every situation is different.

My nephew 21 and never worked a day in his life. I am kind of concerned about that. His parents didn't want him working any food service jobs, so he just hasn't done any work so far. He is in college. They fund everything that he does. He goes on a lot of vacations and travels, but he doesn't seem to understand how privileged that he is.
That's how it should be, if someone has the aptitude for higher study and more professional jobs what is the point of working at mcdonalds. To many people treat it like some kind of life merit badge but if you can complete a difficult degree program (engineering, medical, etc) and then work in that field why not?

I never worked food service either, I wanted to maintain grades to get into a top engineering school and that's what I did. I suppose there is some argument that it builds work ethic and character and maybe if I were immortal I could check every single life experience there is to check but most people have to prioritize based on their situation.

All of this stuff is mostly in ones head, you go where your mind takes you, either you think big or you think small.

I would not work at mcdonalds unless I was literally starting to starve to death or die of exposure and was totally out of options. There are people that care more about the fact that you worked at mcdonalds than if you were able to complete an engineering program at MIT, it is almost always a travesty when these people make it to high level hiring manager positions and poo poo someone who completed an onerous degree program or some other difficult trade and instead "busted their butts" at the dairy queen on the way up. Because im sure everyone at John Hoppkins medical are sitting around smoking weed and watching TV

how did we become a society where working food service became more of a badge of honor than say learning to weld or fabricate etc. Why aren't we having 16 year olds learn tig welding or mechanicing and then if they want go on to engineering or medcial. Leave mcdonalds to people who have smoked themselves stupid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2016, 07:01 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,746,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
I've encountered a lot of kids in the workforce that thought all of their extra-curriculars were "experience". Most of these extra-curriculars are completely worthless in the working world.
At least having a few extra-curriculars shows that you haven't spent your extra time sitting on the couch and watching TV all day.

Old 09-12-2016, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevdawgg View Post
Most kids coming out of high school these days don't know much about themselves to decide what job to work until their 60s or 70s. Which is why I recommend they take a gap year (or two) to travel,
socialize/connecting with others, doing some fun projects.
no, they need to do unfun drudgery to prove they have "work ethic" and a minimum amount of time doing some food service job where two bit joes can feel powerful complaining about the $8 order.

now if the teen wants a car and insurance and all that then they are going to have to drudge. I would encourage kids to work a mcjob and then do a stint in the military (as long as its "war time") just so they have an extra 5 points for a fed job if they cant placate the boomer hiring manager with their mcjob so he can lament when he had to work at the dairy queen in his upscale neighborhood.

Seems like the 5 vet points and a mcjob as a teen is more valuable than an MIT education with a lot of boomer managers.

Old 09-12-2016, 08:12 PM

34,053 posts, read 17,064,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post

Seems like the 5 vet points and a mcjob as a teen is more valuable than an MIT education with a lot of boomer managers.

One can easily do both. My nephew is an MIT grad, worked during high school, and also participated in extra-curricular activities during high school. That ability to multi-task is essential no matter where one receives his/her degree.

Old 09-12-2016, 08:27 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,746,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
they need to do unfun drudgery to prove they have "work ethic" and a minimum amount of time doing some food service job where two bit joes can feel powerful complaining about the $8 order.
When I was a teen, I've seen lots of job postings that wanted you to be 18. I've done work like mowing lawns, shoveling snow, heck even running my own lemonade stand

It was all fun and games and I was making lots of $$$. The thing I've learned is to never stop hustling. The economy went into a recession in 2008 (while I was in high school) and there were no sources of work. I graduated high school in 2010 and it was near impossible to get a job because of the huge glut of applicants, not many job openings and even grocery stores making you take ridiculous personality tests.

My point is that the job market these days aren't that keen on hiring today's youth. That minimum wage Mcjob meant for a teen goes to someone who's 18. Most places would rather hire someone with the skills they want and get them going at 1000 miles per hour than to invest time and money with someone who doesn't. I'm not bashing teen jobs but if it weren't for strict labor laws, let teens work if they want.

Old 09-12-2016, 08:39 PM

19,517 posts, read 9,537,245 times
If they want to and their schedule allows for it, I wouldn't stop them. However, if there are issues keeping their grades up, that may have to be readdressed.

Old 09-13-2016, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
One can easily do both. My nephew is an MIT grad, worked during high school, and also participated in extra-curricular activities during high school. That ability to multi-task is essential no matter where one receives his/her degree.
Does he have the 5 vet pref points and an Olympic medal as well . Google, multi tasking makes you stupid. Multi tasking is not desirable and your nephew have to have been an autistic genious to make an MIT degree just one thing he did while multi tasking other things, there are those people out there but its rare and something tells me your full of s**t.

For 99% of the people that get into MIT it takes their undivided attention to graduate, if your nephew is the 1 autistic genious then so be it ... do you want a cookie?

The reality is most people, even MIT caliber people cant do MIT, work a mcjob and do a military hitch in a war zone at the same time. My point was that for the 99.9% of us that have to choose it seems society values the mcjob and vet points over the MIT degree and that is SAD, that was my point.

I am frankly surprised you can even post on here with as much high speed profound stuff you and your family are doing or are they all just taking a break from the recent Olympics before you keep working on your nobel prize. Its cool your nephew has degree from MIT but you need to tone down the embellishment because it makes you look like your full of s**t.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment