Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2016, 09:13 PM

7 posts, read 4,535 times

Advertisements

Hi all. I'm interested to learn of anyone who's transitioned from finance/accounting. To which field(s) did you move? Were you successful? Was it worth the risk? Do you enjoy it as much as you originally thought?

My background:
I'm in my late 20's and intend to move to Seattle in early 2017. I work in a tiny investment bank right now and have been in finance/accounting now for 4 years. During the past 2.5 years, my job has given me lots of experience in client interaction, small-time management exposure, the art of the deal and has also helped me become extremely Excel-savvy. My guess is I'll be promoted at the end of the year or early next.

While it's been an interesting and enlightening experience it's not exactly fulfilling making wealthy individuals even wealthier. To add insult to injury, my firm has no presence in Seattle or anywhere close, so I'd be forced to work remotely which I don't want to do. Not moving is not an option; I have to leave my current home for my own sanity.

The thought of working in another role in finance doesn't exactly wind me up. If I had my druthers, I'd be in some type of role where I'm helping society make permanent progress. Everyday I read about advancements in technology that enhance quality of life and wonder if I could ever be a part of that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2016, 02:14 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,836,282 times
1st world problems. I'd stay in finance and start a non profit to help people. I didn't see you mention any degree, so unless you have a degree in something other than finance/accounting it's going to be hard to get to help make a difference and make a living wage.

Old 07-12-2016, 02:19 PM

35,077 posts, read 31,302,097 times
Use your money from I-banking for charity. Poor people can't help the poor financially.

Old 07-12-2016, 02:23 PM

6,460 posts, read 7,796,492 times
I'm in Data and know many who've moved into this realm from other fields, including finance, they make good analysts so I'd consider some type of analyst position (Business analyst, data analyst, etc.). Maybe in healthcare to fulfill that helping society itch. Scope out the on line job ads in Seattle and see how much demand there is and what the role's call for (Excel, Access, SQL, some viz application, etc.) and then use the time you have now to gain some of those skills. Just an idea.

Best of luck

Old 07-12-2016, 03:02 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBombay View Post
Not moving is not an option; I have to leave my current home for my own sanity.
Personally, I would NOT move to Seattle without a good job already.
What is your degree?
Is another city an option?

Old 07-12-2016, 03:05 PM

3,924 posts, read 6,836,808 times
My buddy has a finance degree and now does digital display advertising for a subsidiary of Omnicom. He got the role because it's excel heavy and there is a lot of math. Basically they buy/sell digital ad space. You could imagine the numbers that are associated with that task.

Old 07-12-2016, 05:18 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,836,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Personally, I would NOT move to Seattle without a good job already.
What is your degree?
Is another city an option?
Out of curiosity, why? I see you're in PA. I'm in Seattle. Our job market is one of the best in the country.

Old 07-12-2016, 05:42 PM

732 posts, read 969,135 times
I know somebody that switched from finance to fraud investigation.

Old 07-12-2016, 06:26 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tac-Sea View Post
Out of curiosity, why? I see you're in PA. I'm in Seattle. Our job market is one of the best in the country.
Because the OP's career change (vague as it is right now) may not fit into that great job market, and your cost of living will drain any savings he may have quite quickly.

Old 07-12-2016, 07:57 PM

2,206 posts, read 3,296,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TestEngr View Post
I know somebody that switched from finance to fraud investigation.
That's a fit.
As a financial analyst, forensic accounting has always intrigued me. Next stop could be "fraud investigation."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment