Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2016, 10:14 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,000,344 times

Advertisements

I was an AA for a while many years ago. I made about 40k and I ran the place. Really, they took total advantage of me.

You might do anything from cleaning the kitchen up to giving presentations to project management. Just depends on the company.

It's absolutely essential that you be well organized and can multitask. If you can't handle the stress, don't bother.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2016, 08:09 PM

3,137 posts, read 2,707,699 times
Another reason I hated being an admin because admins are considered "lower level employees" and so they aren't allowed to date someone who is above them in rank at the company because this is considered a red flag for sexual harassment issues and such like. Just know that if you are an unmarried female, you won't be allowed to date anyone at work. But not only that, if you are even seen talking to a man at work in a sociable way, it could be taken the wrong way by co-workers. Admins are still considered second class citizens and they aren't allowed to do certain things.

And no, of course that shouldn't be the main concern when you are hired somewhere (you shouldn't be looking for someone to date when you start a new job) but it could become an issue later on.

Old 07-18-2016, 10:39 AM

1,637 posts, read 1,346,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tassity22 View Post
Another reason I hated being an admin because admins are considered "lower level employees" and so they aren't allowed to date someone who is above them in rank at the company because this is considered a red flag for sexual harassment issues and such like. Just know that if you are an unmarried female, you won't be allowed to date anyone at work. But not only that, if you are even seen talking to a man at work in a sociable way, it could be taken the wrong way by co-workers. Admins are still considered second class citizens and they aren't allowed to do certain things.

And no, of course that shouldn't be the main concern when you are hired somewhere (you shouldn't be looking for someone to date when you start a new job) but it could become an issue later on.
LOL
No offense no one really is going to work to find a lady.
Your going there to get a paycheck and do your work.

Admin assistant is at least better than Mc Donalds I sure would not mind being one. :P

Old 07-18-2016, 11:04 AM

6,033 posts, read 6,147,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tassity22 View Post

I don't think it's "bad" policy to disallow this, though (dating others in the org tree); ethically, a manager becoming involved with an actual subordinate (per org charts) does indeed sound like a setup for failure. Ethically and legally.

Org charts notwithstanding, dating people one works with is a crap-shoot, at-best, for a variety of reasons. When far younger and less wise, I tried it as many early 20s guys do. Nothing good came of it. But on the other hand, I can think of several marriages that resulted. So YMMV!

Guys in their 40s and 50s flirting with the Admin is taken the wrong way by everyone for the right reason, it's so cliche and sometimes just sad, no one really wants to see it.

Back in the 1990s, level of hanky-panky occurring on the downlow @work was rather extraordinary. I always heard it second-hand, I've never been in-tune to relationship gossip in personal or professional life. For all I know, could still be going on always and everywhere. As a character once said on "Lost": "that's what people do!"

I knew several "Admins" back then who were obviously on the make for husbands. Several "succeeded", whatever that means, so mission accomplished I guess. Others marched onwards and outwards to wherever young, single, usually-attractive women go to fulfill their needs.

Old 07-18-2016, 12:47 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,167,557 times
While we are strict about following the law when it comes to sexual harassment, that does not prevent co-workers from dating. I would say that a supervisor or manager dating a subordinate is a recipe for disaster, but it does happen and we have no specific company rules against it. Recently one of out attorneys married a low-level supervisor after dating a few years, and no one though anything of it because they are in different departments. I have also seen engineers dating admins from other departments.

Old 07-19-2016, 01:22 PM

2,793 posts, read 4,070,047 times
First, I haven't read through all the posts so if this is a repeat, sorry.

I was an admin for about 20 years in different departments and different industries. One great thing about being an admin is that you can work in almost any industry. I've worked in government utility/water, property management, and healthcare. Within those industries I worked in a laboratory, accounting, geology, recruiting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queldorei View Post
I like the office environment because it doesn't require much physical labor or caring for people.
This comment worries me the most. Mostly because in all the jobs I have done, they all require physical labor of some sort (most require you to be able to live up to 50lbs - regardless if you ever do) and as an admin, you're basically taking care of your boss/department.

This is what I've found in all my jobs. Some people absolutely love you because they know you know everything in the office and they appreciate all that you do. Some people look down on you and treat you badly because you're on the bottom of the totem pole. You somehow end up helping or doing all the things for the company.....planning the events, cleaning it up, setting it up, etc. You do the dirty work while everyone enjoys your hard work. You may or may not get any kudos for it. You could have a very slow job or a very high paced job. You may sit at your desk all day or may have to go with your exec to meetings and y'know, carry all the paperwork or bring all the meeting needs to the meeting (handouts, projector, laptop, etc). My last job, omg, the boxes and boxes of swag I had to keep on hand and move and store. And the pace, jeez, I about died. And they kept packing things on me. The job before that, very low key, slow (too slow sometimes).

So, if you don't want physical labor and caring for people, I'm not sure how this would be a good fit. Yes, the job is basically a jack of all trades type of job and what you do will be determined by the actual job. So, maybe you'll find what you're looking for. However, in my experience, taking care of people was the main point....we're givers and pleasers (for the most part - and I'm not saying you have to be a doormat).

Old 12-19-2016, 08:25 AM

5,021 posts, read 7,449,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queldorei View Post
I'm looking at this career at this point, I think the office environment would be good because of some health issues I have that wouldn't let me do more physical jobs (And no way could I handle management, sales, or accounting).

I have about 3 months of secretary experience as a summer job that's not over yet, and I'm thinking I should do the administrative assistant associate degree program at a local community college

I read that the average salary for administrative assistants is $33K/year, but I know you can't trust everything you read online, and that real life can be different. I've looked at job postings online, and it seems most normal-level jobs require an associate's degree and maybe some years of experience, which is good for me, because I'm not willing to go into debt to get a bachelor's degree.

So, here are my questions:

How much do you actually make and do you feel like you can support yourself on it in your area?

What industry do you provide administrative support for?

What is your level of education?

How many years of experience do you have?

I think that if I make $33K/year, that's a good amount for me. I don't plan on living in any expensive areas or taking large loans. But the biggest money-saving thing for me, is that I'm not going to have children, and I don't really care much about having a lot of material things.
I've read a few of your posts including one where you talked about wanting to move to West Palm Beach, FL. (Honestly I think you need to spend more time down here as it's getting insanely crowded/expensive and overrated.)

You sound like a very smart, articulate, good guy, but it seems that you sell yourself short.
I get wanting a simple life. That's great!
Get at least a Bachelors degree (you can start with an Associates).
Being an Admin is great and you can work as one and put yourself through school at the same time.
Please don't sell yourself short.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment