Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you rather be unemployed 3 more years or greatly underemployed the rest of your life?
Unemployed 3 more years 18 64.29%
Greatly underemployed rest of life 10 35.71%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2016, 07:14 AM

1,104 posts, read 918,974 times

Advertisements

If I had only 5-7 years left until retirement, underemployment would be ok. But since I don't, I'd rather be unemployed for three years, because at least then it allows the possibility of earning a living wage, whereas underemployment wouldn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2016, 07:45 AM

1,248 posts, read 4,056,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousMiscer View Post
A strange question but I'll bite.

Hands down being unemployed is better than being "underemployed". At the very least you'll keep your dignity and pride.

Being "underemployed" (aka McJobs) is one of THE worst experiences a human being (male or female) can go through. Everything from the humiliation, to the very low pay, to the elements (if your McJob is in the sun), to the exposure to dangerous chemicals, to the exposure to dust, to the dangerous conditions, to the lack of respect, to people "looking down" on you all weigh heavily on you and take a HEAVY psychological toll.

Working a McJob and then having to hand over 80-90% of your take-home pay to rent, bills, gas is not much better than slavery speaking in purely mathematical terms. In both the case of a typical McJob and the case of a typical slave, neither has any money when everything is said and done

The welfare queen, the street hustler/dealer, the homeless bums all have the right idea.... why work for nothing?? If you're gonna be poor "anyways" might as well take it "easy" on both your body and mind.

McJobs pay soooooo little these days that you truly are better just collecting welfare or doing cash-under-the-table type gigs. I read somewhere that the national average "hourly rate" of a welfare recipient (assuming most benefits are being collected) comes out to something like $15/hour according to a nationwide study?? Sounds much better than the measly $8-9/hour offered by private sector McJobs.
Underemployed isn't just a "mcjob" but someone who is working at significantly lower pay, responsibilities in ones field or career is one exactly, or if someone is a temp, contingent worker, or something other than full time with benefits is another example and probably just as bad.

Old 07-16-2016, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockeye66 View Post
If someone is unemployed for 3 years it's almost guaranteed they'll re-enter underemployed.
or will they ever be employed again except if they put morals aside and lie about what they were doing for the past three years.. unless you are in your 20s even saying you went back to school can look bad

Old 07-16-2016, 08:20 AM

7,977 posts, read 4,983,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickL28 View Post
or will they ever be employed again except if they put morals aside and lie about what they were doing for the past three years.. unless you are in your 20s even saying you went back to school can look bad

The generalizations in america need to stop. Why does going back to school after your 20s look bad? If you go in your 30s you still have 30 plus more years to work

Old 07-16-2016, 08:48 AM

983 posts, read 994,528 times
I went back to school in my 50s and guess what? I'm still unemployed!
I've been unemployed for three years now and if something in my field doesn't come along, I may be one of the underemployed for the rest of my life.

Old 07-16-2016, 12:11 PM

2,700 posts, read 4,936,320 times
Depends on what you consider under employed.... A person who makes $200,000 a year would consider making $75,000 a year under employed... While a ton of people would be happy with that amount....

Old 07-16-2016, 03:33 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,808,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousMiscer View Post
A strange question but I'll bite.

Hands down being unemployed is better than being "underemployed". At the very least you'll keep your dignity and pride.

Being "underemployed" (aka McJobs) is one of THE worst experiences a human being (male or female) can go through. Everything from the humiliation, to the very low pay, to the elements (if your McJob is in the sun), to the exposure to dangerous chemicals, to the exposure to dust, to the dangerous conditions, to the lack of respect, to people "looking down" on you all weigh heavily on you and take a HEAVY psychological toll.

Working a McJob and then having to hand over 80-90% of your take-home pay to rent, bills, gas is not much better than slavery speaking in purely mathematical terms. In both the case of a typical McJob and the case of a typical slave, neither has any money when everything is said and done

The welfare queen, the street hustler/dealer, the homeless bums all have the right idea.... why work for nothing?? If you're gonna be poor "anyways" might as well take it "easy" on both your body and mind.

McJobs pay soooooo little these days that you truly are better just collecting welfare or doing cash-under-the-table type gigs. I read somewhere that the national average "hourly rate" of a welfare recipient (assuming most benefits are being collected) comes out to something like $15/hour according to a nationwide study?? Sounds much better than the measly $8-9/hour offered by private sector McJobs.

I will? What pride is there in me living with my mom and collecting money from other people?

Psh I don't know what under the table things you're referring to but one task I did it took me 4 hours to make a dollar. That was probably the fastest task too because I do not get much better than that. True slavery right there. Yeah it sounds easy because I don't have to leave home but it isn't really. It's gotten so taxing on me mentally/emotionally that I can't even do it anymore.
If you mean like focus groups or anything like that then yeah a little more easier but it's still best to get a steady job because they won't always be available.

I guess if you get the right welfare you might get decent money but there's really no pride in that for me. I couldn't live with myself living the rest of my life on someone else's money. I have a hard enough time being on section 8 as it is. I can't imagine being on it for the rest of my life and not to mention section 8 is limiting. You have to be careful where you live because you have to be on a certain budget. They won't even let you go there. On the other hand who's going to tell you you can't afford to live in such and such place if you don't have section 8? Only you and YOUR wallet.

So my answer is obviously I would rather be underemployed. As long as I get something I can enjoy to some degree (it doesn't necessarily have to be in my field) and pays at least minimum wage I'll be alright. I suppose working just isn't for everyone but personally I need that kind of structure (which is why I did the sites to begin with) when it comes to making money or I fall apart. I need someone telling me you need to come in such and such time so we can pay you and then now we're all done so go home. That's the problem with small gigs. There is no set schedule. This is why I could never own my own business. You could say volunteering would provide that structure but no one is paying me to do that. I need to earn the money.

Old 07-16-2016, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IheartWA View Post
I went back to school in my 50s and guess what? I'm still unemployed!
I've been unemployed for three years now and if something in my field doesn't come along, I may be one of the underemployed for the rest of my life.
Because you are competing with 20 somethings for entry level positions. Yes generalizations need to stop but like with age ism and racism we are supposed to pretend it doesn't exist. Yes, generalizations are that because they are generally true. People don't want to hear the truth or just want to pretend it doesn't exist

Old 07-16-2016, 05:10 PM

191 posts, read 230,425 times
"Underemployed" wrecks your soul if you're stuck at a McJob for too long, just NOTHING good comes from under-employment/McJobs ..... the crappy low pay, lack of any benefits, lack of healthcare, etc.... it just isn't worth it unless you're in "emergency mode" (about to be on the street). Unemployment benefits, welfare, cash gigs, temporarily moving in w/ family, tapping credit cards until next good/high paying job comes along, etc are all far more humane options.

Look at all the recent mass-shooters, one common thread between most of them is their undesirable financial situation/McJob employment.

A few years ago here in CO the "batman shooter" Holmes literally ended up in a McJob (working at McDonald's) and the embarrassment, humiliation, and shame of holding a Master's degree and being reduced to working a McJob pushed him over the edge. He was also a virgin I believe, but the main gripe of a lot of these crazies and psychos is the economy/lack of opportunity.

Ever heard of a rich person/millionaire going out and conducting a mass shooting? Of course not guys who are rich have women, nice cars, money, toys, etc to distract themselves with..... they have nothing to be "angry" about and are generally happy individuals. Most of these mass shooters come from the McJobs/poverty segment of society. No money, no opportunity, no access to women, embarrassment, shame.... combination of all those things is a recipe for disaster.

Bottom line is the psychological toll of crappy McJobs is very real.

Last edited by CuriousMiscer; 07-16-2016 at 05:27 PM..

Old 07-16-2016, 05:17 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,968,136 times
If unemployed, where is the money to live coming from?

If you really want serious responses, you need to explain this, otherwise its just fantasy polling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment