Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2016, 11:09 AM

18,950 posts, read 11,594,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rah-ghr View Post
You're absolutely right. I was told by a manager that stock clerks are essentially like sales clerks. In your opinion, can you see a stock clerk as career-worthy position? Or have you seen anyone that has been a stock clerk for a very long time? Thanks!
In another post you mention both jobs happen when the store is closed. So presumably this isn't a boutique but is a large chain store or distributer like Walmart or Amazon.

If it's a brick and mortar it's a little concerning that the manager said stock and sales clerks are essentially the same. There is some cross over for sure - it's a natural next step - but sales clerks do interact with the public and should be providing customer service, not just ringing up sales. Now, if that manager is in the stockroom and not the sales floor, I'll cut him some slack but you should know he's wrong and just keep your knowledge on that to yourself.

Stock clerk for years? That may work for some people but it doesn't sound like that's what you want. Stock clerk as launch pad to positions that might pay more and have more responsibility? Absolutely. If it is a big stockroom, chances are you'll have a supervisor back there with you - that could be you after proving yourself in the entry position. You also might learn automated inventory systems - another good skill to take elsewhere in the company or to another company - even if it's not the same exact system.

My advice to you is to let management know that you're interested in learning as much as you can about the business and contributing to its success. There are no guarantees but it helps to be smart and willing - and to apply yourself. I went from cashier to regional manager of a national retail chain; from temp to assistant Vice President of a super-regional bank; and from volunteer to social worker (without a degree in social work). An advantage you have is that you seem to have a vision/goals - I didn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2016, 11:42 AM

5 posts, read 3,295 times
How's your back? I think stock clerk could have the potential for more heavy, repetitive lifting. I'd go with cleaning.

Old 07-16-2016, 11:52 AM

5 posts, read 3,295 times
Plus, with cleaning you'll be able to roam the store/warehouse more, and get to now people from all areas - stocking you'll be confined. Cleaning you can fudge if you are sick or having a bad night... (target the obvious stains and dirt) stocking is either done or it isn't...

Old 07-16-2016, 11:53 AM

337 posts, read 208,335 times
Thanks toosie! I appreciate your advice. It's nice to see that you took risk and advanced in your career. Very motivating!

Old 07-16-2016, 02:15 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,486,570 times
Stock clerk because you're more likely to gain experience with computer software and some specific business processes that could lead to better opportunities in the future. You will learn about products and inventory and store layout and marketing promotions.

You could always move into janitorial work from stock clerk in the future if you choose but it's likely harder to switch from janitorial into other stuff because janitorial is often looked upon as 'bottom of the barrel'. In other words, janitorial won't look as good on your resume - even transferring within the same company.

Old 07-16-2016, 03:16 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,935,590 times
Stock clerk. Don't look it as just moving stuff around, take the opportunity to learn about inventory management. See if any programs are used. If so, learn them. Learn about supply chain. I just don't see much in the way of cleaning. It's so small scale.

Old 07-16-2016, 03:18 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,787,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah-ghr View Post
Commercial Carpet Cleaner/Janitor/Light Maintenance

or

Stock Clerk

Thanks! Btw these positions are within the same company(retailer).
Depends how many people I have to deal with daily.

Old 07-16-2016, 03:40 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,810,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeb View Post
Commercial Carpet Cleaner/Janitor/Light Maintenance

you learn more skills >.> including how to talk/do business with people

what skills does a stock clerk learn that he didn't already know?

Everyone who wants the clerk job just wants it because it is easier work

Not me. I would 100 percent rather be a clerk. Number one I have a dust allergy. Number two I would rather even be a stripper than a janitor simply because my father was a janitor and I'll start seeing myself as the true spawn of him.

Even aside from all that, I would say the stock clerk is better too. Too much work on your body cleaning up after other people. I'm sure you do enough cleaning at home that you don't need to do it at work too (or most people do) Manual labor can be one of those jobs that can be dangerous to your health. I know it says light but I think it takes people with a special kind of strength to do it. I tried shampooing my carpet once and ugh my back already hurt within a half hour seemed like. I guess stock clerk requires lifting too sometimes but I feel like it is more taxing in the long run to clean because you're consistently doing it.
Also personally I would find stock clerk more rewarding because I know I'm terrible at organizing at home so interacting with the inventory and seeing the store layout first hand might give me ideas for my home. Getting paid to do something I want to improve in would be great.
I don't think you learn much from cleaning. You either have the stamina or you don't. I also think you can still learn about talking/how to do business with people as a stock clerk and actually I think you have more chance of learning it as a stock clerk than a janitor. A janitor is more a solitary job. Also when you are stocking a customer is more likely to come up to you for a question than a janitor.

Last edited by Nickchick; 07-16-2016 at 03:50 PM..

Old 07-16-2016, 03:43 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,047,890 times
Either theoretically can be the start of a career, both will be challenging.

If you choose the stock clerk path, you want to look for ways that you can add to your skills. Becoming a buyer is one option, visual merchandising is a second, learning the ins and outs of receiving is a third. Not all options will be available to you, as the organization of the company may not allow participation.

Even if you do pick up an additional skill, keep adding to your responsibilities. I started as a cashier, added some bookkeeping, became an assistant manager, then a buyer, then a general manager of a pod of 4 stores. In that final position, I drew upon all of my previous positions. I am no longer in that career field, but at the end it paid quite well.

As a maintenance/custodian, you have a slightly different path. You want to shoot for team lead. Pick up some managerial experience, and grab some training as a carpenter, locksmith, or HVAC tech. You may wind up in the construction/real estate section doing store build-out.

It sounds like you are early in your career. There are many paths. The important thing is to add to your skills and responsibility.

Old 07-16-2016, 05:55 PM

337 posts, read 208,335 times
Thank you so much everyone. I appreciate all your comments and will consider them if I get hired. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment