Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2016, 10:34 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,727,017 times

Advertisements

Go to Texas. You're young, don't have a family to worry about, and you will be making bank. I'd have the opposite advice if you were 40 years old with three kids and a mortgage, but now is the time for risk-taking. Go for it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2016, 11:08 AM

221 posts, read 183,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
Go to Texas. You're young, don't have a family to worry about, and you will be making bank. I'd have the opposite advice if you were 40 years old with three kids and a mortgage, but now is the time for risk-taking. Go for it!
I completely agree with the above.

Even if you were to hypothetically lose that job in a couple of years from now, you'll easily bounce back being free of crushing debt and a family to support. Plus, you'll still be young enough where ageism in the hiring process isn't yet an issue.

Old 07-19-2016, 11:21 AM

51 posts, read 157,187 times
So would I be stupid to stay here at the stable job? The thing about my career is that if I get laid off I HAVE to move and it's always out-of-state... at least 95% of the time. The Studios/Companies are in certain locations around the globe.

Old 07-19-2016, 11:38 AM

I don't think it would be stupid to stay, but I would be concerned that you'd regret it later.

When we were younger (26 and 28), we packed up and moved 1500 miles away. I was a stay-at-home mom, and my husband had a very stable and lucrative job up north, but really, his dream was to work in a custom car shop in Florida. We did have kid and a mortgage (got an early start on that!), so we sold the house and took a huge chance. Did we have setbacks along the way? YES!! But now the kids are teens, the husband is happy to go to work each day, I have my own business, and we're doing just fine.

Moral of the story? I think we'd have been really kicking ourselves if we'd stayed up north. Hubby didn't like his job. The COL was astronomical compared to where we are living now. We hated the winters. Etc. You are in an even better position to take a risk; you're younger and unencumbered. So let's say you get laid off once you're in Austin. You'll find another job. If you don't go, you might be asking yourself "what if..." in another 10-20 years.

I'm a fan of taking risks, and this one doesn't sound all that risky. If you want to go, then go! You'll make it work. If you hate it, you can move back. Nothing is permanent.

Old 07-19-2016, 12:32 PM

51 posts, read 157,187 times
Even if the new company has 401k and no matching yet? I got 401k and good matching too.

Old 07-19-2016, 12:44 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,115,503 times
Its not really a stable job unless you have an actual contract where you are personally named. I would define stable as at least a 5 year contract with annual raises. The only place I know of where you get this is federal govt jobs that have public unions. I would never move jobs unless it was with the feds or if I had a 5 year contract, its just too easy for places to lay you off and if you have a contract they have to buy you out which means 5 years of salary and bennies if they change their mind after they hire you. If more people started doing this it would create a fair balance of power.

Old 07-19-2016, 01:25 PM

Where would you want to live if the job wasn't an issue? If you're comfortable and happy where you are now and you don't have wanderlust, then stay. If you are really wondering what else is out there and want the experience of living somewhere else, then go. At your age, I would worry less about the specifics of the job (and pittsflyer has a great point... most jobs are not as stable as their holders think they are) and more about where you see yourself now, in five years and in ten years.

Old 07-19-2016, 01:46 PM

44,355 posts, read 20,063,008 times
OP, I'm with those who say you should take the risk and go to Austin. At your age and under your [baggage-free] circumstances, I feel it would be well worth the transition and risk. I think if you don't take the leap you will always wonder, "What if . . .?"

It sounds as though you possess knowledge and skills which are very marketable, and if you would happen to lose the Austin job after a year or two then surely you could find another lucrative position.

Good luck to you!

PS - I envy you for your youth and the opportunity to take that leap.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 07-19-2016, 01:48 PM
SQL

1,337 posts, read 1,193,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJSinger View Post
OP, I'm with those who say you should take the risk and go to Austin. At your age and under your [baggage-free] circumstances, I feel it would be well worth the transition and risk. I think if you don't take the leap you will always wonder, "What if . . .?"

It sounds as though you possess knowledge and skills which are very marketable, and if you would happen to lose the Austin job after a year or two then surely you could find another lucrative position.

Good luck to you!

PS - I envy you for your youth and the opportunity to take that leap.

This is the epitome of class right here. If only all posts on this forum could mimic this format and tone.

Old 07-19-2016, 06:44 PM

1,203 posts, read 4,082,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aajohnny View Post
We got big bonuses last year because of big profits and we get very good raises. I gt a 15% raise last year... the COL is what hurts me a lot here though. We get bonuses and raises every year.
Was this raise a promotion or just an annual merit raise?

Getting any bonus is good and a 15% raise each year is huge. If you combine that with a stable job, in a nice area (even if COL is high), I don't see why you'd wan't to leave.

The only time I've gotten more than a 2% raise was when I got promoted. Keep in mind, that's the norm unless you're in a very hot or profitable industry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJSinger View Post
I think if you don't take the leap you will always wonder, "What if . . .?"
To be fair, I think that "What if...?" or "the grass is greener on the other side" mentality will always be there with some people no matter what they choose. Your personality type will dictate how important it is for you to have an answer to that question. I fully agree that it's best or easiest to take these types of risks when you're young but, for some people, uncertainty is a pretty strong negative.

OP, you should try to put together a weighted pros & cons list (search google for examples). It might lead you to the right conclusion, and you'll spend a good amount of time considering what's most important to you.

Last edited by raveabouttoast; 07-19-2016 at 07:04 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment