U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you prefer working in a cubicle or open office
Open Office 5 7.14%
Cubicle 60 85.71%
Don't Care 5 7.14%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2016, 08:42 AM

1,120 posts, read 658,395 times

Advertisements

I just got news that the floor I work on will be transitioning to the very hip open office layout. My coworkers are all very excited about this.

The last sentence was sarcasm. I haven't talked to one person who seems happy about this development. My particular department doesn't really do work that is collaborative. It requires concentration and attention to detail. By the nature of what we do there really isn't room for group think.

This will make my particular group less efficient with other distractions from around the office. It also seems like an unneeded expense for the company as our cubicles work perfectly fine. I certainly don't love working in a cubicle, but I much prefer the privacy it provides to being on display for everyone else at the company. The thought honestly gives me anxiety. I am upset enough by this that I may start looking for a different job.

Does anyone out there actually like working in an open office? If so why?

Last edited by clawsondude; 07-19-2016 at 08:50 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2016, 08:56 AM
SQL

1,337 posts, read 848,549 times
I worked in both environments. The open layout was uncomfortable to me. You had absolutely no privacy whatsoever.

Old 07-19-2016, 09:06 AM

960 posts, read 547,843 times
Cubicle. Gotta be able to pick your nose in peace.

Old 07-19-2016, 09:08 AM

1,357 posts, read 1,110,469 times
I HATE open office layouts - absolutely despise them. I don't see them being of any benefit unless the team has to be very collaborative.

Old 07-19-2016, 09:12 AM

3,556 posts, read 1,459,660 times
Open plan - primarily because of the nature of my job (IT Infrastructure), and the fact we as a team have to share ideas, projects and consult over problems and issues.

Moreover, our bosses are not keen on cubicles because they have little idea what those individuals are doing! The IT Support dept on the lower floor have cubicles, and on many occasions individuals have been caught watching TV programs on their tablets or surfing social media, or reading books/magazines during business hours.

So there's a trust issue to some extent. But I still prefer open plan for my particular job role

Old 07-19-2016, 09:20 AM

16,063 posts, read 12,841,646 times
I have declined several jobs because I do not want to work in a cubicle. Ever.

I usually have my own office.

Old 07-19-2016, 11:18 AM

216 posts, read 128,400 times
I can't for the life of me understand how anyone can get exited over working in an open office layout.

I'd be having suicidal thoughts after an hour or two in that type of environment.

Old 07-19-2016, 11:34 AM

16,063 posts, read 12,841,646 times
Is there any benefit to the employee? You are being watched from all angles. Sounds horrible.

Old 07-19-2016, 11:38 AM
SQL

1,337 posts, read 848,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
Is there any benefit to the employee? You are being watched from all angles. Sounds horrible.
I listened to a podcast not long ago (Freakonomics maybe?), and I believe the idea of an open layout began in NYC at an ad agency. It was a European architect who conceptualized it for the agency. The goal was to have a better collaborative environment. It ended up failing over time and the agency went back to cubicles and offices.

Some employers still embrace the idea today, and argue that it's better for collaboration, but I suspect that there might be a little bit of mistrust built into it as well. I've heard very few employees ever claim that they liked it. Most of the time, I hear them complain about it.

Old 07-19-2016, 11:40 AM

406 posts, read 401,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZolaLloyd View Post
Open plan - primarily because of the nature of my job (IT Infrastructure), and the fact we as a team have to share ideas, projects and consult over problems and issues.

Moreover, our bosses are not keen on cubicles because they have little idea what those individuals are doing! The IT Support dept on the lower floor have cubicles, and on many occasions individuals have been caught watching TV programs on their tablets or surfing social media, or reading books/magazines during business hours.

So there's a trust issue to some extent. But I still prefer open plan for my particular job role
I also work in IT infrastructure and an open office layout is the last thing I need. Although I work on a team, we all handle separate tasks and projects. We come together for staff meetings and other scheduled meetings when needed.

When one of our multi-million dollar systems goes down and I'm getting heat from senior VPs, the last thing I need it someone else distracting me with their conversation about next week's vacation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment