Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2016, 09:05 PM

2,762 posts, read 3,182,864 times

Advertisements

Go work at the post office.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2016, 09:15 PM

371 posts, read 493,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Brilliant! I will simply tell my anxiety disorders to take a hike, and all will be well!

Why didn't I think of that myself? Silly me.

It is good to have people like you around, making the world a better place.
Try getting some help with your anxiety disorders.

And consider anti-money laundering or some kind of bank operations job...one thing at a time, little client contact, pay is generally 15+ an hour.

Old 07-20-2016, 11:21 PM

6,230 posts, read 6,918,077 times
Quote:
Seems like it would be low stress. Driving around and delivering stuff. What's the catch? Ruthless timetables that are almost impossible to meet?
For me it just wasn't a good fit. I dislike driving in general, especially how nowadays everyone is staring at their iphones rather than the road. I worked in a high traffic area so I would always start early in the morning and get home late at night. Good money but absolutely no work-life balance. A lot of the guys had knee and back problems from the constant jumping out of the truck, lifting, and walking/running everywhere. It's a young mans gig!

Old 07-21-2016, 06:41 AM

123 posts, read 84,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LamarOdomsDealer View Post
I could be wrong about this, but x ray technician. You do have to go to school for I believe 2 years for it. Whenever I've had x rays done, the workers seem happy. My mom always thought I would like that due to the same tasks pretty much daily, and the pay isn't bad. If I were young again, I probably would go to school for that.
No, no, no.

As another poster mentioned, this job requires multi-tasking and attention to detail. In addition, xray techs also must go to the OR with portable machines for various surgeries (including orthopedics, back surgeries, etc.). Dealing with surgeons is not low stress.

Old 07-21-2016, 08:17 AM

18,486 posts, read 9,145,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmet View Post
Try getting some help with your anxiety disorders.
I have tried. Currently there's no good treatment for anxiety. Anxiety drugs work well in the short term but cause dependence/addiction if used for more than a few weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmet View Post
And consider anti-money laundering or some kind of bank operations job...one thing at a time, little client contact, pay is generally 15+ an hour.
Thank you for your input. I will look into it.

Old 07-21-2016, 08:57 AM

42,832 posts, read 26,218,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Digby Sellers View Post
No offense, but I think you need to grow up. Any job that's worth paying you $15/hour or more is going to require you to use your brain, leverage past experience and multitask. It's called life. I recommend you learn how to improve on your weaknesses rather than hide from them.
How clever to start that with "no offense", that is offensive, and I bet there is no way in hell that you would walk outside and say that to you next door neighbor. It's interesting that some people think that the anonymity of internet forums give them a license to be rude.

Old 07-21-2016, 10:23 AM

191 posts, read 230,334 times
Government jobs tend to pay $15+ an hour and tend to be easy. That would be your best bet.

"Private sector" and "low stress"?? Those two terms don't belong in the same sentence.

Welfare/unemployment is pretty low-stress, and averages about $15/hour according to studies, but that's assuming you're collecting MOST of the benefits. If you're a guy it's unlikely you'll be able to get much welfare, most of those programs really seem to be designed for women with children.

Another idea is a "donation drive" on the internet and simply begging strangers for money. Plenty of people seem to be doing that, I heard some woman recently got busted for "donation fraud" after collecting over $18k in online donations and then buying a new car with the money (instead of her stated donation cause).

That's about all I can think of right now, get creative? lol

Old 07-21-2016, 10:39 AM

902 posts, read 746,675 times
If you have an anxiety disorder, then get disability. Otherwise, you're on your own and will have to find your path in life cause no one will find it for you.

Old 07-21-2016, 11:17 AM

10,341 posts, read 5,858,475 times
I hope posters are kidding when they say government job, social security, post office.
Hence the term: going postal.
Dealing with the general public, and especially social security where there is someone's money involved is highly stressful. People start threatening and get verbally abusive if they think you're messing with their money or they aren't going to be getting what they think they should. Also dealing with people who have been waiting in line is a true experience in how much patience you can have with someone coming close to losing it when you tell them you can't help them, they have the wrong info, etc. The Post office is not filled with friendly faces having a chill time, nor the DMV.

UBER! You pick the hours, you pick the location, you're doing something for someone who's glad to have you there.

Old 07-21-2016, 11:25 AM

19,426 posts, read 27,793,477 times
Quote:
I have tried. Currently there's no good treatment for anxiety. Anxiety drugs work well in the short term but cause dependence/addiction if used for more than a few weeks.
Respectfully, I disagree. Besides medication (some of which CAN be taken for extended periods), the following are effective for anxiety disorders: (in no particular order)

psychotherapy
yoga
active, regular exercise (not just a quiet little walk 'round the neighborhood)
meditation and other relaxation techniques
diet - no smoking, limited (if any) drinking, NO CAFFEINE, and a good, healthy all around diet
being social, spending time with other people
a variety of alternative treatments including (but not limited to) kava and valerian
essential oils
a pet

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky1975 View Post
If you have an anxiety disorder, then get disability. Otherwise, you're on your own and will have to find your path in life cause no one will find it for you.
Oh, please. Another one on the government tit. And not exactly a great or mentally healthy lifestyle choice for the OP, either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment